sharetrader
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by smokin cubans View Post
    cmon guys - you wouldn't go to a doctor that didnt have his medical license so why would you use a fund manager that has not sought the gold standard in fund management qualifications, the CFA.

It is a clear breach of the CFA standards to misrepresent your results the way HWM has. If he was a CFA member, he would likely have been harshly disciplined and had his CFA status revoked.

We should make it a requirement for all new zealand fund managers to be CFA's (except for old timers that have seen the 87 crash etc). Would sort out these flash harry's and provide the transparency and accountability we are all seeking...
    This explains why the regulators are thinking of doing nothing :

Tycoon's training gets messy
    By Deborah Hill Cone
    10:30 AM Monday Mar 22, 2010

Peter Huljich seems like a poor little rich kid. He is a mini "big-swinging-dick". A baby master of the universe. A tycoon with training wheels. I may be wrong, of course. But he doesn't exactly do anything to disabuse us of this impression.

He is the son of a wealthy family. He's 32 years old now, but still has the right kind of chin to be a jock at an American high school.

I know this because there's a moody shot of him on Facebook. I have one of those too, but I doubt that my testosterone count is as high as his. Last year Huljich took part in a thing called "white-collar boxing fight night" - where executives get in the ring and beat each other up. Noice.

"We work pretty long hours at Huljich Wealth Management so it is always nice to get out of the office," Huljich said in a promotional interview before going into the ring for his fight.

He boasted that during training he had lost five kilos of fat and put on five kilos of muscle. "One of the highs of boxing training was getting fit and feeling really good and strong. In terms of lows, there are none."

Well that's good Pete, because you'll have plenty of time for getting beaten up now you've resigned as managing director of Huljich Wealth Management.

"In terms of fighting tonight I'd like to thank my family. They don't approve of what I am doing but they are here to support me." Good on ya. But I'm not sure that body-fat ratio is the No 1 topic I want my KiwiSaver investment manager to be obsessing over. Shouldn't their financial prowess be their top priority?

I'd be happier to have an investment manager with thick glasses and borderline Asperger's whose big "wow" was worshipping at the altar of Warren Buffett, rather than a born-to-rule silver spooner who is a regular in the social pages.

I know Huljich is a goneburger since his top-ups of his investment fund came to light - gone before lunchtime and all that - but I somehow don't feel this whole saga should be laid to rest. Yes, the Securities Commission is investigating, but don't hold your breath.

When the Securities Commission does take action, it is usually against a widely scorned perennial commercial hazard such as Rod Petricevic rather than one of the "born to rule" business bluebloods with National Party stalwarts Don Brash and Auckland mayor John Banks in his corner.

How did it happen that a company run by a preppy boy with two big names behind him managed to get people to invest $117 million of their savings in the company's managed funds?

The success of Huljich just seems to reflect the tragic last remnants of the outdated class system that we can't seem to totally shake off. And if I was going to get all Wisharty about this, I would wonder whether the National Party is not working hard behind the scenes to make this whole Huljich thing go away.

I'm sure it wants it to. If the Securities Commission does have an energy drink and decide to take action, it is very difficult to see how that mud won't stick to John Banks.

It is very easy to see how National would not like having leftie Len Brown - a dangerously bland character who doesn't polarise anyone - running our biggest city.

With the general election looking out of its grasp Labour might just throw everything at the Super City instead. Peter Huljich may just be a tycoon with training wheels. But when his tiny wheels fall off, it could still cause a big mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance
    Tycoon's training gets messy
    By Deborah Hill Cone
    This article is an example of the deep problems in New Zealand business journalism.

It belongs in the Women's Weekly, in the gossip pages. It is in no way an analysis of the issues - it is smart a$$, flippant character assassination.

I wonder if Deborah Road Cone lives in Wellington? This is about the level of analysis one gets in the distant provinces, very far from the marketplace.
    Do not consider my postings as investment advice. I am here to share research and to speculate on what might be. The boundary between fact and conjecture might not always be clear - best to treat all comments as speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Enumerate View Post
    This article is an example of the deep problems in New Zealand business journalism.

It belongs in the Women's Weekly, in the gossip pages. It is in no way an analysis of the issues - it is smart a$$, flippant character assassination.

I wonder if Deborah Road Cone lives in Wellington? This is about the level of analysis one gets in the distant provinces, very far from the marketplace.
    Yes, market place where Capital & Merchant, Blue Chip, Bridgecorp, Hanover etc makes for serious reading.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    (Now where did the 2005 Long Strangle go {and all his posts} - but welcome to todays new forum Member Long Strangle.)
    Yes minimoke -- all Long Strangles posts have gone by the looks of it

Do you just send an email to Vince to get rid of posts .... I have a few that I wouldn't mind deleted

Or maybe a man in a suit came to see Vince and asked to see the full records and then ordered them deleted

Interesting

Steve ... did you keep a copy of these posts?

Conspiracy theory .... maybe it was Long Strangle that was trying to hack the Sharetrader site a few weeks ago that caused all those problems

Quote Originally Posted by Enumerate View Post

Oh come on Enumerate .... lighten up .... its is a good article and Balances comments are probably correct .... except Debra couldn't exactly say that straight out could she

Quote Originally Posted by Balance
    Yes, market place where Capital & Merchant, Blue Chip, Bridgecorp, Hanover etc makes for serious reading.
    You do not appear to be able to grasp my point.

If there was a high level of investigative journalism and analysis; Capital & Merchant, Blue Chip, Bridgecorp, Hanover etc would not be able to thrive.

Perhaps you can demonstrate how Deborah Pine Cone's article advances insight or even observation into the Huljich Kiwisaver debacle, after the fact. My view is that I do not wish to waste my time reading Deborah becoming palpably moist over the "bad boy" Peter Huljich. She seems to be strangely attracted to some kind of Mills & Boon archetype of dark brooding tychoon'ling.

It adds nothing in background or analysis. It is self indulgent drivel. What were her Editors thinking ...
    Last edited by Enumerate; 19-03-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    Do not consider my postings as investment advice. I am here to share research and to speculate on what might be. The boundary between fact and conjecture might not always be clear - best to treat all comments as speculation.

percy

If there was a high level of investigative journalism and analysis; Capital & Merchant, Blue Chip, Bridgecorp, Hanover etc would not be able to thrive.

As I pointed out in my post 16/3/2010 I sold all my shares in Bridgecorp @ 95cents 0n 11/4/2002 after reading an article on bridgecorp by Chalkie.At the time he was NZ's best investigative journalist.He still is.l !!!His analysis on synlait,Cynotech ,Syft are excellent.His article on Huljich was of his usual excellent standard.Brain Gaynor is also good but only well after the event.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Yes minimoke -- all Long Strangles posts have gone by the looks of it
    Hey mini .... Long Strangle may be have gone and rejoined today but his posts live on in the printable version of the NZF thread

http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/printth...p?t=1066&pp=40

percy

On sharetrader in2001 there was a poster by name Dimbag or similar.Great fan of Bridgecorp;earnings growth,return on capital everything blue sky.I helped another poster send him a PM warning him,and suggesting he read the comprehensive analysis of Bridgecorp in Unlimited Mag,and to be careful as the accounts were suspect.His reply was very much that the media did not know what they were talking about.He had personaly analysised the accounts and could not see the point of reading the article!!!!
    I made a friend take out the $30,000 she had on deposit with Bridgecorp.Her financial adviser was very comfortable with Bridgecorp.So the information was there but no one was interested.
    This time Kiwi Saver people should be interested.