sharetrader
Page 5 of 135 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Legend

Not sure how much the new Aussie taxes will effect OGC. But more top knotch grades have been found in the existing pits. Some bargain shares on the NZX or even the ASX at the moment. Our press release is a bit brief.

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/2010050...0w1sllmrsm.pdf
    Last edited by elZorro; 17-05-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Guru

I would have thought this would have caused some excitement....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...-gold-deposits

OceanaGold has announced a "very promising" discovery of additional gold-bearing rock at its Frasers underground mine in Otago.

Highlights included intercepts of 13 metres at 6.78 grams of gold per tonne and six metres at 5.08 g/t had been discovered during a surface diamond drilling programme, in a downdip extension of current underground mining operations.

OceanaGold shares were down 3.79 per cent shortly after the announcement at $3.30, with the Melbourne-based company possibly suffering negative Australian investor sentiment following the Rudd government's imposition of a super-tax of 40 per cent on extraordinary mining company profits.

The miner said the latest discoveries also appeared to extend beyond the Panel 2 resource boundary, which is currently being mined.

The finds were "likely to result in a development extension to the underground exploration drive for better access to these new areas for infill drilling.

Legend

Hi SSB: Yes, well I'd have been buying today, except I spent my budget earlier, assuming the trend was my friend.. But this time I won't be giving up easily, as the cashflow will soon get the attention of anyone having a look at OGC. I wonder how wide those thick seams of gold are..

I have noted that while the market has dipped a bit in the last few days, the POG has gone up.

Legend

More good news: the Canadians relate that OGC pays tax in NZ, and the 40% tax in Aussie won't apply.

Oceana Gold test drilling 'promising'
    Home » News » Business
    By Simon Hartley on Tue, 4 May 2010
    News: Business | Oceana Gold | gold mining
    Test drilling by Oceana Gold, next to its underground operation at Macraes in East Otago, has delivered "promising results" of "significant" gold grades from its latest drilling programme.

Chief executive Paul Bibby said, in a statement to the market yesterday, the drilling results were "very promising" and the drilling results showed "the likelihood of additional mineralised panels" along the boundaries of what was being mined underground at present.

The results had prompted follow-up test programmes in the area, he said.

Mr Bibby highlighted two of eight drilling results where "significant intercepts" of gold were found; the first containing 6.78g of gold per ton (g/t) at a length of 13m and the second containing 5.98g/t at 6m.

The two grades and lode thickness were "similar to, or better than" the panel 2 area in the Frasers underground area where mining was at present being done, he said.

Production for 2009 saw an average 2.60g/t taken from Oceana's open pit Reefton mine on the West Coast.

The Macraes operation averaged 1.47g/t.

Oceana has estimated recently the Frasers underground mine has a three-year life and would deliver 55,000-65,000 ounces each year.

Yesterday, Mr Bibby said the positive results were "an all-important first step to extending the mine life of our underground operations".

In the past five months, Oceana has twice upgraded its estimates of mineral reserves, adding a total of 754,000 ounces to its estimate of gold reserves; to a total of 1.6 million ounces.

During the past 20 years, more than 5600 test holes have been drilled at Macraes.

Oceana is stepping up its exploration drilling programme this year, spending about $7 million at Macraes and Reefton.
    Last edited by elZorro; 04-05-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Legend

Another good buying day for the brave. Huge volume over here, two big sales/purchases of 400k shares. The Aussie side looks geared to be a bit calmer, but will wait and see.
    Last edited by elZorro; 05-05-2010 at 11:40 AM.

had a small bite @ today's weakness
    Up up and away!

Thinking about it too- have been for a few days but then down it went, will wait until shows better signs ie starts going up again - not going to try to pick the bottom.

Legend

A sample of market sentiment on gold, a bit dated but it has interesting comments on how buying into gold miners can be a leveraged form of gold investment. Note again how stable POG was today amongst the carnage. Plenty of takers to buy over 1mill shares of OGC here today. They almost certainly got a bargain.

http://moneymorning.com/2009/11/19/gold-prices-8/

Legend

OGC lower on the TSX again overnight, more glee from those buying in.

From where I'm standing, Oceana Gold doesn't have too many problems. They have plenty of accessible gold in the ground, they know how to process it, they have enough cashflow to look for more, and they are undervalued compared to similar miners.

As far as this share is concerned, the price of gold is the critical factor. I've seen a bit of writing about how the world's economies will be pushing the POG up to help pay off debt. Is that realistic?

Total world gold reserves are 30,000 tonnes, close to one billion ounces. So about one Trillion dollars worth. If POG doubled, net increase would be 1 Trillion dollars US. But world external debt is in the hundreds of Trillions, and I don't think that includes internal debt. Does anyone else have some figures?

Certainly it would seem gold would have to go up a lot to cover debt positions. Wish I'd done economics now..

Legend

An extra 80 million income (GP) should mean 10x that on the valuation - $800million on the MCAP?

Oceana reflects on mining's future
    Home » News » Business
    By Simon Hartley on Wed, 5 May 2010
    News: Business
    Oceana Gold's economic impact on the Otago economy is measured in the tens of millions of dollars each year as it churns through millions of tonnes of East Otago and West Coast ore to extract gold.

Oceana's positive economic impact in Otago reflects the mining industry's overall position on the Government's contentious proposals to open up protected conservation estate land for exploration.

At stake are the regional economic benefits of mining compared with the potentially negative environmental impacts.

Mining is expensive, with Oceana last year extracting about two grammes of gold from each metric tonne of ore processed, shifting about 5.5 million tonnes of ore.

For each ounce produced last calendar year, it cost Oceana $NZ886, and on average it sold each ounce for $NZ1098.

This calendar year, Oceana has forecast its cash costs per ounce to rise to between $915 to $970.

However, Oceana has recently bought back all its forward selling gold contracts which had locked it into pre-determined prices, and can now sell its gold on the global spot market, which has been hovering above $NZ1530 per ounce in recent months.

The difference in contract and open market prices could add tens of millions of dollars to Oceana's bottom line, Oceana's chief operations officer Mark Cadzow said.

"Now that Oceana Gold is selling on the spot market, as of April 1, depending on the [daily international] gold price, we would expect an extra $70 million to $80 million would flow to the bottom line per annum, from the Macraes operations," Mr Cadzow said.

Partly processed ore from Reefton, which is a slightly higher grade on average than that from Macraes, is delivered by rail from the West Coast and processed at the Macraes plant.

In an early draft of an independent report being compiled for Oceana by economic forecasters Infometrics, Oceana Gold's economic contribution ranks in the top 0.5% of New Zealand companies employing one person or more.

The report estimates Oceana's contribution to New Zealand's GDP is 0.17%, which equates to about $363 million in 2009, two-thirds of which is attributable to Otago - about $242 million.

Mr Cadzow said about 85% to 90% of Oceana's total revenue went into the local and national economy.

"The Macraes current life-of-mine is at least six years.

I'd see our level of [GDP] contribution to the Otago economy being maintained for at least that period," he said.

However, with successful exploration, that could be increased as Oceana looked at other opportunities to expand the business.

This would lead to additional capital being invested in the operation, he said.

Oceana had spent "and will continue to spend significant dollars" on brownfields exploration, at the Macraes and Reefton gold fields during the next two years.

"The company's ability to continue to add [estimated] reserve life is an important factor to sustaining the operations for years to come," Mr Cadzow said.

He highlighted that in Deloitte's Top 200 companies in the country, Oceana last year had the most improved percentage revenue change in the survey, being ranked at 101 by revenue and its total assets ranked 72nd.

Oceana had a workforce of 780.

When applied to an economic multiplier, it was estimated that each Oceana job underpinned a further three jobs in the community in the service and contract sectors, he said.

Oceana's staff and contractors were paid $63 million during 2009.

"It's a highly paid profession, about twice the national average [wage]," Mr Cadzow said.