sharetrader
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

I think the test for being a NZ resident goes beyond just a place of abode. The test is very subjective and largely would be one that you consider NZ home. Having nz bank accounts credit cards etc are a test. Residential property ownership another. Remember they are trying to net the maximum number of taxpayers.

I had a nasty situation some time ago when I permanetly resided in Austrlai but becuse of my links with NZ ( bank account trusteeships etc) they considered me a tax resident of NZ as well as Australia.

I got a NZ tax credit for Australian tax paid but wound up net paying the the NZ tax rate on Australian earnings, but with an additional sting. Non resident NZ taxpayers are not able to group tax losses from NZ activites (LAQC) with their oveseas sourced income even if it is subject to NZ tax. So dont ever think the tax system is fair.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm

Japanese trusts account own a staggering 11.2 per cent of total New Zealand bond market.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/...cument&src=kgb
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Japanese trusts account own a staggering 11.2 per cent of total New Zealand bond market.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/...cument&src=kgb
    Yes, it seems NZ govt debt is going to come under pressure at both ends from recent disasters.

I am wondering if mortgage and deposit rates might become less influenced by the OCR as a result and more tied to winning capital. Higher interest payment could be a bit tough overall for NZ, with NIIP to GDP being up there - although possibly a weaker exchange rate would buy us some leeway there.