To date my share market activity has been limited to longer term value investing. I feel its time to have a go at some shorter term trading.

After a bit of thought I have decided it will be best to separate my investing and trading activities by setting up a company to do the trading. The company will pay the capital gains tax on trades, providing a clear distinction to the tax man what my trades are and what my longer term investments are.

I actually have no idea how to go about setting up a company. I assume you need an accountant to register your company with the companies office and prepare financial statements, tax etc. I'm sure there are some here who could shed some light on the process.

I am still a student, and I only have around 25k invested (so far), so I'm not after the most expensive accountant out there. I am however prepared to pay what it costs for an accountant who can do the job, and do the job well!

I don't plan on starting to trade immediately. I want to gain experience through paper trading to refine my strategy before I commit any hard earned cash. Do you think I would be better waiting until I'm fully ready before forming the Co. Or are there advantages to setting it up now. E.g. could I could I depreciate laptop, pay for internet connection, books etc. to offset future tax liability? I would incur those expenses regardless.

Thoughts?