sharetrader
Page 13 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

ASX up 1% yesterday when NZ closed and up another 1.5% again today ..... and the NZX does what .... allur stocks must have been over valued or something

Veteran novice

Perhaps it's more a case of the ASX getting carried away by a strong showing in the USA overnight. A classic "relief rally"?

Not much changed in the big picture - Euro/USA debt; sluggish world growth; etc - as far as I can see!

Veteran novice

Yes, not a lot has changed since the heady days - was it the 80's? - when NZ was going to be an important financial centre. First to trade each day! The fact is that most traders are on holiday in January - those that are left!

Share Collector

Well, it's irritating, since this is the one time of year when some of us actually have enough time on our hands to try and clean out the portfolio.... I'm stuck in depth on quite a few trades and bugger-me-days if I don't seem to always get pinged for 100 shares and trigger the brokerage...

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    Well, it's irritating, since this is the one time of year when some of us actually have enough time on our hands to try and clean out the portfolio.... I'm stuck in depth on quite a few trades and bugger-me-days if I don't seem to always get pinged for 100 shares and trigger the brokerage...
    Don't you just hate it when that happens! I'm trying to pick up a few TEN. That's me at 70c. The action seems to have moved away from me at the moment, but I'm worried I'll end up with 250 shares and since there is such a large spread, I could end up in no mans land.

Advanced Member

Well that is why you call yourself ZigZag..

Win some .. lose some .. :-))

Advanced Member

" Just $20 mill traded thus far ... Obviously the big boys who'll be back at work are taking their time to get warmed up ... Belgie notes that trading in many small caps has just about come to a halt! "..

Are you saying Belg that it is the big boys are the main traders in " Small Caps ".. ??

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    Don't you just hate it when that happens! I'm trying to pick up a few TEN. That's me at 70c. The action seems to have moved away from me at the moment, but I'm worried I'll end up with 250 shares and since there is such a large spread, I could end up in no mans land.
    Several years ago, I had a buy on TEN and some sod crossed the spread and sold me 1 share.... I don't know how they are allowed to do that! It worked for them - after the contract note turned up that night, I gave up the next day and paid up to get a marketable parcel... However, I think there are probably rules on these things and some minimum amount at which I can ask the broker to cancel a trade? Never actually tried it though.

Share Collector

Maybe ACC are on holiday? Who else buys the mid-caps?

I notice a few big "in" trades in morning trading on dual-listed shares over the past week - does this mean re-distribution occurring of NZ coys (e.g. FPA and GFF) from Aussie to NZ holders?

(Wonder if GFF expected to come out of an Aussie index now and that is triggering some of the selling?)
    Last edited by Lizard; 10-01-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by POSSUM THE CAT View Post
    Silverlight point one for the same amount of fees you get a bigger market point Two why is brokerage from the Broker I use for an Australian trade less than half the price of a NZ trade of a reasonably large order & they have to pay an Australian broker as well it was even cheaper still when I could use an Australian Broker. Check with your broker how much they are charged every time you push the button for an instant price quote. And remember for the much smaller market the NZX should be far cheaper. I have yet to find an Australian broker that would even bother to trade the NZX for you. But bar for the fact that most of the Australian brokers require you to be an Australian resident. When I was dealing with Westpac Broking Australia it was about 40% of what Direct Broking are charging me
    ANZ E Trade was even cheaper but had volume or cash deposited requirements that did not suit my requirements Just check the company information on the ASX web site compared with the NZX one

So your grievance with NZX is because your NZX broker charges you more to execute a trade than your ASX broker? Maybe you should use a different broker?

Direct is 20 basis points 29.90 min. Com Sec is 20 bp 19.95 min. Westpac Aus is 11 bp, 29.95 min, if you have an Aussie bank account, or 15 bp if you don't.

Honestly, if your focus on every $50K trade you do, is that your NZX broker charges you $100 vs $55 in Aus, then you are concentrating on the wrong thing.
    ~ * ~ De Peones a Reinas ~ * ~