sharetrader
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Hmm I was looking at getting some of these bonds (WKS020) in February. Maybe not a good idea? I don't know a lot about bonds, but I thought they were safer than shares?
    "Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.
    "Today is already the tomorrow which the bad economist yesterday urged us to ignore" H Hazlitt

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by RazorX View Post
    Hmm I was looking at getting some of these bonds (WKS020) in February. Maybe not a good idea? I don't know a lot about bonds, but I thought they were safer than shares?
    Safer in that they rank above equity in the event of liquidation. Not saying that this is the case here but they can be a bit of a trap if reliance is placed on their "bond" status without proper attention being given to the soundness of the company in the first place. As with the "secured" nature of the borrowings of so many of our failed finance companies!

I think you have to be a bit careful with the WKS010 bonds.

As I read it, at the step-up date (June 2012), Downer can choose to effectively convert them into perpetuals paying 3% above the 1-year swap rate. They can also go through a remarketing process invitation in which case the bond holders can ask for redemption or exchange into shares. However they are not obliged to do this, and I would imagine in the current circumstances, they won't.

If they convert to 3% above 1-year swap, they will currently pay a dividend of about 6.5 cents. This should increase eventually when interest rates rise. There will be no way of cashing them in except by selling them on the secondary market. Downer can chose to redeem them when it suits them, but they don't have to. At the current price of 87 cents, they seem a bit dearer than other perpetuals even when taking account of the 3% margin. (Eg, IFTHA has a 1.5% margin over the 1-yr swap rate but is selling at only 62 cents).

Announcement today 200m preference shares held by Works in Downer redeemed 21 April by Works Finance and then Works Finance made loan to Works of $200m. Does anyone know holders of WKS010 and 020 are impacted by these events?

I have somee Works WKS010 which I have had for about 3 years, when I bought them, the yeild was 9.2%.
    I notice today they have reached nearly 27% yeild.
    Could someone enlighten me why they have dropped so much in the last 3 months?
    Do you recommend selling them at such a low price?

Share Collector

Hi Gary,

Firstly, that 27% yield is a yield to maturity. Given the maturity is defined by the calculation to be Jun 2012, the formula presumes that you will not only get interest payments, but an additional capital return of 13cps on the current 87cps price of these pref shares, along with the 9.8cps in gross dividends. The reality is that the 13cps on maturity is not particularly likely as Jun 2012 is actually a "step-up" date. The details of what happens then are rather complicated.

I just checked out the old prospectus, which you can get from the companies office web-site. Either Works Finance can agree a new interest rate with holders and repurchase or exchange for shares to holders who don't like the rates offered, or they can basically walk away and leave these as preference shares with an annual reset of 3% above one year swap rate or they can repurchase. Repurchasing is unlikely as Downers needs the funds. Currently, the most likely option would be the 3% margin above swap, as that would only require around 6%pa in gross interest payment based on current one year swap rates - you can follow them here.

Therefore, buyers at 87cps can assume that they will get 9.8cps this year and the equivalent of 6cps thereafter until sale. Take the 3.8cps higher return this year off the 87cps buy price and then divide the 6cps by the 82.2cps entry price and you will get an effective yield of 7.2%. By comparison, the Infratil Perpetuals which might be of a similar character, offer 1.5% above 1 year swap. Based on the current swap rates and price, they're sitting at about 7.1%, so as you can see, the WKS010 look as though they are being priced in the same region.

I can't answer as to whether you should sell them. You would still get 87% of the face value back and perhaps a bit less on what you paid, since it looks like at 9.2% you would have paid more than $1 per unit. It doesn't appear that they are pricing in the possibility of DOW being a financial basket-case or dividend payments being suspended (although this is possible). On the other hand, if inflation appears in the next year or two, the one year swap rate and ongoing re-set rate could rise which would improve the value, provided DOW remained a credible borrower.

Note also that although these are preference shares, the underlying preference shares in Downer appear to have been replaced with a straight out loan at an initial 10% interest. I'm not clear if that improves the security on these - would seem to be better for holders, but don't think they've been given an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    Hi Gary,

I just checked out the old prospectus, which you can get from the companies office web-site. Either Works Finance can agree a new interest rate with holders and repurchase or exchange for shares to holders who don't like the rates offered, or they can basically walk away and leave these as preference shares with an annual reset of 3% above one year swap rate or they can repurchase.
    The Direct Broking website shows "The Step-up Rate applicable on 15 June 2012 will be the 1 year swap rate plus a margin 4.05% p.a." I think this number is correct because on the step-up date the new rate would be 1 yr swap + step-up addition (2%)+ initial margin. The intial margin was close to 2% as the current interest rate (9.80%) was 5yr SWAP + initial margin when the rate was set in 2007. Thus the new rate from June 2012 would be around 7%, not too bad if WKS010 is bought at 79 cents now. Further, WKS010 could be converted to shares in June 2012.
    Last edited by Newman; 08-09-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Veteran novice

The Issuer has given notice that they will take the Step-Up option from 15 June 2012 and that the new Step-Up margin will be 4.05%, the aggregate of the Step-Up Percentage (2.00%) and the original Margin (2.05%). The initial Market Rate will be determined by the One Year Swap Rate on 15 June 2012.

Additionally, w/e from 14 May 2012, ROADS will be quoted on a "price traded" basis rather than the current "yield traded" basis and the NZX ticker code will change from WKS010 to WKSHA from this date.

New rate of 6.6% from step up date 15 June 2012. Any views out there on best way to play this. Accept rate or request a higher rate and take your chances. Doesn't look to be much downside on the rate part. Seems to me that if you would be comfortable having the possibility of being converted to Downer stock in the event remarketing process successful. If unsuccessful just get the step-up rate. Am I missing anything.?

Share Collector

Hi Kiwitrev,

As I understand it, this isn't a "re-marketing process", so you don't get the chance to make any choice. Downers have allowed them to "step-up", which means an additional 2% step-up margin has been added to the original 2.05% margin (set on book build) over the benchmark 1 year swap rate and they have become perpetual securities.

The rate is now re-set annually until such time as Downer is either taken over or decides to redeem them or to exchange the ROADS for ordinary shares in DOW (I think they can still do this on any dividend date). Obligations are affected by a takeover of Downer. Dividends are non-cumulative and Downer could potentially stop payment, but this will affect the ability of DOW to pay dividends on ordinary shares and would be a last resort.

I guess at around 75% of face value, the effective yield to buy on market now is 8.8% for one year, but perpetual and indexed. A good yield, but reflects risks.