sharetrader
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    MTA stats out this week. New Fords are up 59%! As CMO owns mostly Ford dealerships, this should bode well for FY14 earnings.

http://www.mta.org.nz/f3758,125880/1...tats_Jan14.pdf

I am eagerly awaiting 1H14 results in the next few days. Hopefully it will be as good as TUA.

I'm holding CMO.
    haha I was about to buy some more until I realised there were no sellers left. May have to let it settle for a bit. But nice little run up and if they can improve on their last half result things bode very well.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    haha I was about to buy some more until I realised there were no sellers left. May have to let it settle for a bit. But nice little run up and if they can improve on their last half result things bode very well.
    How obliging. Someone has just put a small parcel on the market at a reasonable price of $5.30.
    No advice here. Just banter. DYOR

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    How obliging. Someone has just put a small parcel on the market at a reasonable price of $5.30.
    Wouldnt happen to be a person using the avatar of "noodles" by any chance would it? But in all seriousness, even $5.30 might seem cheap if they can get the uplift in the Ford sales and continue with the growth they have displayed in the last financial year.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Wouldnt happen to be a person using the avatar of "noodles" by any chance would it? But in all seriousness, even $5.30 might seem cheap if they can get the uplift in the Ford sales and continue with the growth they have displayed in the last financial year.
    I will neither confirm or deny.

Guru

I can't see anything on this thread commenting about Ford ceasing manufacturing in Oz and its likely impact on the CMO dealerships? I don't have a view either way but I note previous posters referring to a large % of Ford dealerships.

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    I can't see anything on this thread commenting about Ford ceasing manufacturing in Oz and its likely impact on the CMO dealerships? I don't have a view either way but I note previous posters referring to a large % of Ford dealerships.
    Fords sales were down year on year for most of 2013. It did not seem to affect CMO too much. They certainly had a great 2H13.

Guru

Well then Noodles are you saying Ford doesn't account for much of their revenue? I'm just wondering what impact there will be long term on them having to source Fords from further afield than Oz. Who knows maybe they will be cheaper?

Well then Noodles are you saying Ford doesn't account for much of their revenue? I'm just wondering what impact there will be long term on them having to source Fords from further afield than Oz. Who knows maybe they will be cheaper?
    Ford does account for a lot of their car yards. I've no idea what relocation from Australia means for the company. I thought you were referring to the discontinuation of Falcon. I think that is what caused the drop on sales last year. I think their trucking business probably picked up the slack. However it is worth noting that they have forward currency contracts in Australia, US and Euro. So I'm guessing they source outside Australia already.

On the doghouse

Still another two years before those Ford factories in Australia shut for the last time. The two models produced there are the Ford Falcon (large car) and Ford Territory (large SUV). I would say of the two it is the Falcon that will be hardest to replace in the eyes of traditional Aussie big car buyers. If you read the Australian car magazines the current rumour is Falcon will not be replaced at all. Large saloon car buyers will have to content themselves with the Ford Mondeo. A few months ago I would have worried about all those Falcon buyers going over to that other Ozzie icon, the Holden Commodore. But of course that is now going as well, or is it?

Certainly the Commodore production line will be turned off in Australia in 2017. But a next generation replacement might still come down under from Canada or China. Yet can a Holden from Canada or China still be an Aussie icon?

The plan is to replace the Territory with a new SUV from the USA. Holden's nearest equivalent SUV, the Captiva, is mainly sourced from Korea. But unlike Holden (General Motors), Ford do not have a source of vehicles from Korea. Ironically the new large US sourced Ford SUV might still be badged 'Territory' in Australia and New Zealand. But American sourced cars do not have a good record of success down under. I suspect ultimately market share might leak from Ford to the Japanese and Koreans here in Australasia with the closure of Australian manufacturing plant. It may have done that anyway. But the demise of Falcon and Oz sourced Territory will hasten the process. IMO the net effect of the end of Ford production in Australia will be bad news for Colonial Motors in New Zealand 3-5 years down the track.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 13-02-2014 at 03:01 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Guru

Thanks Snoop. If your time frame of 3-5 years is right I guess it gives them time to rearrange the deck chairs (so to speak