sharetrader
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Does the media really have to conduct every interview standing in front of a pile of rubble? Its putting a very unrealistic view of this earthquake.
    I was in the cbd yesterday morning , after a tour of the rubble enjoyed a nice cup of coffee in cathedral square , no sign of damage anywhere, and plenty of tourists enjoying the sunny day

Im supprised they havent gone the whole way and placed soft toys on the rubble.

Big thing for today is going to be the wind , its just kicking off now and could hit 130kph. Looking out at the neighbours chimney , i dont fancy its chances of surviving day
    Last edited by ratkin; 05-09-2010 at 09:01 AM.

Banned

I read an article the other day that says in the event of an earthquake dont get under desks or doorframes.
    It recommends you lie down beside the desk, bed or other sturdy object, not under them.

Advanced Member

Personally i think it depends on where you live and how fast and agile you are!

For example if you live in a street with high buidings (like in the cbd) you would be crazy to run outside due to the high risk of falling masonary.

However if you live in a suburban bungalow with no chimney and a big garden i reckon making a run for it is not a bad idea. Your unlikely to suffer damage once outside , and if the house does cave in do you really want to be trapped under a table/bed/doorjamb.
    If the ceiling is already starting to collapse then hide , otherwise leg it.

As for curling up on the floor , do you really want to take away your agility and ability to dodge out of trouble?

Best defence seems to be not living in an old character home made of bricks ,that has a big chimney on top, and is situated on old marshland near a river
    Last edited by ratkin; 05-09-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Bunch of photos up here from yesterday: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=7e94e21a88

Only slept about 2 hours last night, brother called me in for a job playing security to watch over a house that is on the verge of collapse to stop anyone from going in, as house is very unstable and will be demolished anyway but they are needing to get ppl into it to secure a few items first before they hope this happens.
    "Gold is money, everything else is credit"- J.P. Morgan

Default In which the intrepid Major penetrates the security cordon and escapes alive!

Approaches constabule and civil defence personnel zealously guarding Durham St entrance to Gloucester St going to wards the city, no damage in sight.

"Excuse me Constable, I wish to visit a friend who is a resident further down Gloucester St".
    "Sorry sir, you can't".
    "But her apartment building has been cleared as safe, she's living there and she asked me to visit her".
    "Sorry Sir, no one is allowed in".
    "Could you tell me when will it change and how will I know?"
    "Well it was supposed to change at 1pm 2 hours ago but it hasn't. You will know when the police car has gone".
    Thanks Constable.

Major mounts bicycle and cycles off down to Cranmer Square noting guards at Armagh St, Chester St West and Kilmore St. Hmmm, I know, I used to take a short cut to work through Ernst Young Building grounds (a nice modern building with no earthquake damage) and Canty Reg Council Building (ditto). No guards, cordons, tapes etc in sight. Emerges into Chester St West behind enemy lines and outside hailing distance from enemy picket guard. Cycles down to Montreal St, right and right again into Gloucester St. Its amazing once you are inside the cordon no-one takes a blind bit of interest in you, they assume you are a resident. Mouths silent raspberry at policeman in far distance, keys in security code and enters apartment building. Knocks on door - "Hugh! What a surprise! they're keeping everyone out including office workers and temporary residents!" How did you get in?" "Ah my dear, my Boer War experience was invaluable there...."
    Last edited by Major von Tempsky; 05-09-2010 at 07:56 PM.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Approaches constabule and civil defence personnel zealously guarding Durham St entrance to Gloucester St going to wards the city, no damage in sight.

"Excuse me Constable, I wish to visit a friend who is a resident further down Gloucester St".
    "Sorry sir, you can't".
    "But her apartment building has been cleared as safe, she's living there and she asked me to visit her".
    "Sorry Sir, no one is allowed in".
    "Could you tell me when will it change and how will I know?"
    "Well it was supposed to change at 1pm 2 hours ago but it hasn't. You will know when the police car has gone".
    Thanks Constable.

Major mounts bicycle and cycles off down to Cranmer Square noting guards at Armagh St, Chester St West and Kilmore St. Hmmm, I know, I used to take a short cut to work through Ernst Young Building grounds (a nice modern building with no earthquake damage) and Canty Reg Council Building (ditto). No guards, cordons, tapes etc in sight. Emerges into Chester St West behind enemy lines and outside hailing distance from enemy picket guard. Cycles down to Montreal St, right and right again into Gloucester St. Its amazing once you are inside the cordon no-one takes a blind bit of interest in you, they assume you are a resident. Mouths silent raspberry at policeman in far distance, keys in security code and enters apartment building. Knocks on door - "Hugh! What a surprise! they're keeping everyone out including office workers and temporary residents!" How did you get in?" "Ah my dear, my Boer War experience was invaluable there...."
    Well done !!!

Advanced Member

All because the lady likes milk tray?

The earthquake was extremely violent, I mean really really violent, i was in bed at 430am, and it woke me up, at the start of it, it just sounded like a wee one that would stop, but then all of a sudden, it was massively loud and shooked the house so much, i mean you had to go through it to believe it, I tried to walk to the door way, but i couldnt make it, because the house was shaking so much, finally I made it, (once the violent part of it stopped), but it keep going and going and going, when it finally stopped, I knew this wasnt a little one and there would be serious damage to the city.

The streets are a mess.

Hats off to the council though and civil defense people, power, water and such are back on. Neighbiours were helping neighbours, the only two negative ascepts of human behavior were the two looters and the guy selling bopttle water for ten bucks on the street corner. Other than that people were great.
    Last edited by brettdale; 05-09-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    I read an article the other day that says in the event of an earthquake dont get under desks or doorframes.
    It recommends you lie down beside the desk, bed or other sturdy object, not under them.
    hey all...
    thanks for all your well wishes...
    nah skol,
    the safest way to tackle an earthquake is to ride it like a wave...
    keep balanced and on your feet...
    woke me up something chronic eah...
    I was more like a drunking surfer...
    half asleep and banging into walls...
    thought it was a really bad dream...
    it was nuts...

.^sc
    Cryptocurrency holdings in utrust cardano and power ledger... ripple... neo.... .....LOCI ...
    Market capitalisation 130billion...
    Coinmarketcap.com

Quote Originally Posted by skeet View Post
    Bunch of photos up here from yesterday: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=7e94e21a88

Only slept about 2 hours last night, brother called me in for a job playing security to watch over a house that is on the verge of collapse to stop anyone from going in, as house is very unstable and will be demolished anyway but they are needing to get ppl into it to secure a few items first before they hope this happens.
    Pretty crazy photos Skeet, still amazed (but extremely glad) everyone is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    "Ah my dear, my Boer War experience was invaluable there...."
    Wow Major, you are a spritely chap for a man of your age

There goes another one. I'll be bloody glad when these aftershocks stop!

Glad to hear everyone's ok ... SC
    Mrs was down there for a week ...
    While the oldest boy who lives in Chch was back up here for a week ... tin ar$e
    Mother in Law had a heart op (I'm not gonna say the obvious) in Chch on the Tuesday before and only got out of ICU Thurs.
    She was still in hospital and thought everyone would've been crushed so her heart went funny again ...

All I can say is I heard what the Mrs had to say and the tone in her voice and she completely broke down when she got back yesterday (scheduled to fly out 9.40 Saturday morning). She really thought she was going to die. No doubt it was a mortally terrifying experience for you all that few of us
    can understand.
    The secret of eternal youth is arrested development.

Advanced Member

Aftershocks seemed to gather in strength during the night. thought they were supposed to grow less intense not more. Had to make a run for it twice during the night. Starting to be very tiring

There's a reason for the aftershocks being more intense not less - according to today's Press aftershocks are at just a depth of 4km compared to 10kms for the main earthquake. And they're a bit closer than Rolleston which is a lot closer than Darfield.
    I agree last nights quakes of 5.2, 5.4, 5.4 were real beauties and we dived out of bed and made a rush for the doorway for each one.

There's a sort of battle fatigue setting in with Chch people, everyone's nerves are really shot, everyone without saying it is thinking maybe we should move to Blenheim or Nelson for a few days/weeks until these wretched aftershocks are over. Every little shock you cower and rush for a doorway even though in itself its quite tiny and apart from the shocks, a door banging, something falling over and you are halfway through your conditioned reflex reaction before you realise it. Its a relief to get out for a walk as you don't notice the shocks so much.