sharetrader
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Share Collector

Another earnings upgrade for MAQ, with HY EBITDA forecast of $20m (including a $1.5m one-off). Forecast for $37-$39m EBITDA for FY, which I think should give NPAT around $16m (plus one-off), so around 60% up on last year. Cash not down too dramatically yet with Intellicentre 2 investment - currently over $45m cash remaining. Market cap $195m.

May have kicked off another run and possible entry to All Ords in March.

Hi Liz, I tried to get into this after the annoucement but my internet connection got the wobblies and my order screen wouldn't work. Must admit I don't know the story very well but the listing of NXT has got me a bit interested in the sector

Hi Lizard / Mark100,

Update on MAQ.

I believe MAQ is at inflection point in terms of its growth and profitability. Future growth will come from the new data centre Intellicentre II (IC2) as well as the higher margins that Intellicentre I (IC1) will continue to earn as it improves and increased the portion of IC1 that operates under managed hosting solution rather than co-location. Macquarie has recently announced a new initiative to
    improve how managed hosting service is billed by offering monthly rates for access to additional computing capacity. This initiative should further enhance growth.

Although IC1 has been in existence since 2001, it has only been in the past two years where increased profitability from the hosting segment has resulted from the shift up the value chain from managed hosting from co-location.

IC2 will be financed completely out of internal resources so there will be no share dilution. This should significantly improve ROE as cash resources are deployed into a high margin business. The fixed line segment of the business is declining but is complementary to the other service offerings as they
    form an integrated package.

MAQ’s competitive advantage
    This stems from three factors:
    1. The ability to offer a managed hosting service. This requires extensive experience which MAQ have built up over the last decade whereas its competitors largely only offer the space (co-location offering) to run their own equipment. A managed hosting service is higher up the value chain than co-location.

2. Providing a mission critical service. MAQ offers the highest levels of accreditation of any data centre in Australia. It is a Tier 4 Data Centre which is the highest level and most suitable data centre for providing a mission critical service. Clients which cannot afford for their hosting to be offline at all, and are willing to pay a premium for this service use MAQ’s solutions. This gives MAQ important pricing power.

3. Strong reputation. MAQ’s strong reputation in the mission critical space is a great draw card to attract other clients and acts as a barrier to entry for unproven new competitors.

Strong economic fundamentals
    Data centre demand is expected to increase from increased use of internet applications such as cloud computing as connections speeds increase.

The supply side is also improving. Although more data centres are coming online Macquarie is able to differentiate itself with its reputation and expertise.

Competitors
    MAQ focuses on the niche market avoding small and medium enterprise market like Telstra and Optus but also avoiding the very large corporations.

NextDC (NXT) is a listed competitor but they focus on co-location rather than managed services.

Future growth
    The hosting business sales and EBITDA has been growing at a CAGR of 23.5% and 35% respectively from 2007-2010. Recently the MD of the hosting division predicted that the enterprise cloud services would help its hosting division maintain annual profit growth of 30 percent.

Risks
    - Decline in Telco business
    - Outages and loss of reputation in hosting
    - Change in market dynamics in hosting and consequent decrease in demand
    - Offshore hosting. However, government agencies require hosting to be held in Australia for security purposes.
    - Esatblished competitors entering managed hosting market

Valuation
    I have them on a FY11 doing $42.9m EBITDA. The company has guided $37-$39m EBITDA but I think this will prove to be conservative as they have a history of beating guidance.

Although the share price has had a strong run since the sell down from AAPT in July 10 and I am not usually a fan of stocks that have appreciated significantly, I believe the future growth potential is unrecognised by the market. I can see $13 in the near term with $16-$18 target in medium term once IC2 ramps up operations.
    Last edited by mamos; 28-03-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Share Collector

Thanks Mamos! I seem to be in chaos again and with little time for analysis, so really appreciate your thoughts... my response to lack of time is always to diversify and sell-down winners to a less risky level! As time has proved before, this isn't always the best strategy... so very grateful for your update.

My only thought on MAQ is that there may be a bit of sideways while the Intellicentre 2 depreciation hits the accounts before the revenue scales up. Also, I have no idea what "virtualisation" means in regards to hosting and whether that poses a threat. So I'm out of my depth technologically... and I thought MLB might be good diversification on this (at $2.12), which has so far turned out to be quite wrong!

Congrats to those who are holding and doing well

MAQ came to my attention last year when the SP was trading round $5

The turnover was simply too low for me to consider buying any at the time and nothing seems to have changed re:turnover however the SP is now up 100% !

Did you guys factor the low trading volumes into your investment decisions or was low trading vol not an area of concern in your analysis?

Disl: indirect holding

Obi, you must be a heavy hitter if you are worried about liquidity.

Free float is quite low in this stock as management own a large portion and dont want to sell down as I think they know the potential of the business.

Quote Originally Posted by ob1kinobi View Post
    Congrats to those who are holding and doing well

MAQ came to my attention last year when the SP was trading round $5

The turnover was simply too low for me to consider buying any at the time and nothing seems to have changed re:turnover however the SP is now up 100% !

Did you guys factor the low trading volumes into your investment decisions or was low trading vol not an area of concern in your analysis?

Disl: indirect holding

Also interested. How do you have an indirect holding? Are you a beneficiary of a trust that holds MAQ?

Hey Mamos im def no heavy hitter, still in the little leagues

The guy who got me into investing/trading won't enter anything without a 500K daily t/o so I tend do the same.

Hence my reluctance.

My indirect exposure is through a few units I bought in a small cap fund which covers that end of the market on my behalf.

Interested what's that fund? Is it Australian based?

Just sent you a PM