sharetrader
Page 22 of 88 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Breaking News,
    Would you believe it,a seller has been off loading shares at 66 cents.!!!

Yes I noticed that yesterday. Seemed a bit odd immediately after they reached 75c. Someone must have been overdue a new deck or a tax bill and needed cash in a hurry !! Well done on picking a few of them up.
    Last edited by iceman; 12-11-2020 at 11:27 AM.

percy

I tried to buy the 17,571 for sale at 66 cents too late yesterday afternoon.
    They went through at 9.27 this morning while I was out.
    Then another 17,571 were traded at 66 cents at 9.56 am and 3,046 at 66 cents also at 9.56 am.
    So total traded at 66 cents was 88,288.

Guru

I tried to buy the 17,571 for sale at 66 cents too late yesterday afternoon.
    They went through at 9.27 this morning while I was out.
    Then another 17,571 were traded at 66 cents at 9.56 am and 3,046 at 66 cents also at 9.56 am.
    So total traded at 66 cents was 88,288.
    Looks like they've been cleaned out (for perhaps just for the time being). Only offer is 75c.

percy

RCEP delivers additional tariff elimination on a number of New Zealand food products into Indonesia, including sheepmeat, beef, fish and fish products, liquid milk, grated or powdered cheese, honey, avocados, tomatoes and persimmons.
    2018 population was 267.7 million.
    Last edited by percy; 17-11-2020 at 07:59 AM.

Guru

RCEP delivers additional tariff elimination on a number of New Zealand food products into Indonesia, including sheepmeat, beef, fish and fish products, liquid milk, grated or powdered cheese, honey, avocados, tomatoes and persimmons.
    2018 population was 267.7 million.
    Indonesia has been a difficult market in recent times. Would be good to get back into it in a meaningful way. Looks of cheap buffalo meat and also trying to be self-sufficient.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/far...into-indonesia
    https://farmersweekly.co.nz/section/...-meat-deadline

Guru

The 75c offer starting to be nibbled at......

Guru

Out of interest, Alliance have come out with their result.....hidden down in the detail. On the face of it, reasonable - $27.4m, up from $20.7m. But pretty sure this is EBITDA.

https://www.odt.co.nz/business/decis...fects-alliance

But with the wage subsidy - they got $34m and repaid about 50% in September. Not recognized in the result.

The article/result does highlight a very pertinent issue, one that also affects SFF - the "donning & doffing" issue - where staff have to get in & out of their protective gear for breaks etc and has been on their own time. Meat companies commonly only paid for the time basically standing on the line ready to work and not the time getting ready with their whites etc.

It has been right through the courts, and affects most/all companies, who have to pay it back (and find a mechanism to pay it retrospectively over some years). This has been a known for some time, and not new. It will affect SFF, and if it costs Alliance $20m, then it will probably cost SFF $30m - or quite possibly more. Some companies have paid much more relative to their size.

Probably something also in the board's mind last year when retaining profits in the business - knowing this was coming.
    Last edited by Sideshow Bob; 20-11-2020 at 08:59 AM.

bear-ish me says:
    - Meat prices are down/soft from historic highs. Further reliance on China. SFF have recently lived the dream being in a rising price market.
    - Less hospitality-based premium meat demanded in europe over their lockdowns.
    - Brexit/EU tariffs resolution remain uncertain
    - don & dof contingent liability. No idea how Alliance came to $20m. Maybe best to work that out the $20m as a percentage of Alliance's labour bill over last six years to work back to get an SFF amount? not entirely accurate given mix of employment contract types. I would've thought this would be recorded as a contingent liability given Jan19 made the ruling then.
    - huge capex costs expected - I think mostly maintenance capex related. signaled in dec19 report. I guess capex spend will be delayed by covid so we wont see it all in 12m to Dec20. Alliance is on a growth capex program - moving away from venison.
    - RCEP trade gains not yet quantifiable - im just assuming nil.
    - covid subsidy: sff fully repaid it while alliance retained 50%. I am abhorred at those who have profited from going against the spirit of the wage subsidy scheme.

bull me:
    - Expanding in to US
    - I am also too inexperienced to have seen the years where meat companies were over-competitive and they lose their discipline when buying and also in maintaining their forward-selling book. I would like to think that it happened because the other meat companies smelt blood when SFF was about to fall over so the competitors just tried to price-war them out. Furthermore you'd like to think internal processes have improved in maintaining buying discipline since then.
    - long term strategy makes sense.

discl:holding.

Dilettante

Hi Out to Lunch. I'm a bit confused about this post. Could you please clarify which parts relate to Alliance and which parts to SFF. I really don't know anything about Alliance but have put some work into SFF, so don't know how to read this post of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Hi Out to Lunch. I'm a bit confused about this post. Could you please clarify which parts relate to Alliance and which parts to SFF. I really don't know anything about Alliance but have put some work into SFF, so don't know how to read this post of yours.
    i said a lot of industry stuff, but specific to SFF: they havent paid any don/dof legal cost yet, they fully repaid their wage subsidy, and theyve got high capex spend from their annual report:
    "We havesome ambitious goals to reduce our energyand carbon footprints further, these requirelarge capital expenditure through a plannedprogramme to 2030" "We have commencedwork on a combination of process changes andcapital expenditure to drive emissions reductions" "This level of profitability of the business hasenabled us to maintain our capital investmentprogramme. We have invested in our infrastructure,operations and systems to become safer, to lowerour environmental footprint, and to become a moreefficient and effective market led producer.Our capital reinvestment programme gained pacein 2019. The company invested over $32m in capitalexpenditure for the period. Over the past three yearsthe company has invested over $90m in capitalprojects. In our key markets we also stepped up ourlocal presence in sales and marketing capability andprogrammes. These are essential areas for us tomaintain and build on our premium market positionfor Silver Fern Farms red meat"

Ive also seen that the industry has an issue (or more of an issue than usual) around getting workers in this season with covid - same story as kiwifruit i think.