sharetrader
Page 40 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    LOL.Certainly does.
    That beef number is amazing......!!

Looking forward, bobby calf processing seems like it will terminate at some stage - from an animal welfare/public perception. This has been a great boost for lamb plants over the years, at a time when sheep farms converted to dairy - giving plant numbers of calves when wouldn't ordinarily have many lambs going through -especially in the South Island. I think SFF would have a reasonable share of this - and also helps link in with dairy farmers and getting their cull stock.

On the flip side, if those calves all go through to veal or as beef cattle, then gives more product, and gain the benefit of fully grown cattle through beef plants.

Competition for land use isn't lamb vs beef vs dairy vs crop - its all vs carbon farming. Especially on that hill country.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post

Competition for land use isn't lamb vs beef vs dairy vs crop - its all vs carbon farming. Especially on that hill country.
    Charlie Munger had this to say about growing corn to turn into ethanol.Maybe he would say the same about carbon farming.?
    On ethanol: "Ethanol is quite possibly the stupidest thing ever invented by rational people. The ultimate social safety net -- which is a very good idea, by the way -- is cheap food, and ethanol production is destroying this. It was a monstrously stupid idea like I haven't seen before."

Guru

Charlie Munger had this to say about growing corn to turn into ethanol.Maybe he would say the same about carbon farming.?
    On ethanol: "Ethanol is quite possibly the stupidest thing ever invented by rational people. The ultimate social safety net -- which is a very good idea, by the way -- is cheap food, and ethanol production is destroying this. It was a monstrously stupid idea like I haven't seen before."
    Great quote!

I can't see where we are heading to - moving away from producing food in a natural, free range environment into planting non-native trees, where many of them will never be cut down. Just to meet a carbon obligation. The world population is going to get bigger, so where is the food going to come from? Especially when environmental pressure on use of pesticides, fertilisers and other chemicals used in intensive practices. We tie ourselves in knots, with countries like China continuing on almost regardless, and other countries transition into more consumption and 1st world living.

Crossing over with PAZ and Ziwi - then WTF are all these pets going to eat?

Actually I'm extending the vege garden at home.....bit more lettuce for when the apocalypse hits......

Absolutely. Let them eat cake!

Guru

"Crossing over with PAZ and Ziwi - then WTF are all these pets going to eat?"

Possum & venison?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    "Crossing over with PAZ and Ziwi - then WTF are all these pets going to eat?"

Possum & venison?
    Pine Needles!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Pine Needles!!
    + magic mushrooms

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    + magic mushrooms
    Hahaha! + the local tinnie house's cash crop......

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Prof. Keith (always worth a read) has a view on where it may all go, and what it may mean once New Zealand gets there.

As far as I can tell, the logical conclusion is that for carbon "units" to meaningfully affect emitter behavior and thus emissions volume, the price of carbon units must rise to a point where the sheep (both meat and wool) and beef industries no longer exist.

And with them go billions of dollars worth of export earnings, to be replaced by some unknown value of dollars (in cash) being exported to offshore carbon unit holders.

Who would have ever thought of money as an export commodity, eh?

https://keithwoodford.wordpress.com/...d-a-minefield/

Discl: Alarmed, but backing both horses by hanging onto both the SFF shares and the carbon units
    Last edited by GTM 3442; 23-09-2021 at 07:03 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Prof. Keith (always worth a read) has a view on where it may all go, and what it may mean once New Zealand gets there.

As far as I can tell, the logical conclusion is that for carbon "units" to meaningfully affect emitter behavior and thus emissions volume, the price of carbon units must rise to a point where the sheep (both meat and wool) and beef industries no longer exist.

And with them go billions of dollars worth of export earnings, to be replaced by some unknown value of dollars (in cash) being exported to offshore carbon unit holders.

Who would have ever thought of money as an export commodity, eh?

https://keithwoodford.wordpress.com/...d-a-minefield/

Discl: Alarmed, but backing both horses by hanging onto both the SFF shares and the carbon units
    NZ sheep and beef exports combined are about 900,000MT - not including domestic consumption.

So if for ease of calculation, the red meat component of a meal was 100g then it is 9,000,000,000 meals with NZ beef and lamb as the protein component!

The worlds population is getting bigger - if it continues with this “carbon farming” then WTF are we all going to eat…..??

Personally I just can’t see where it is all heading to. Only way (I see) to really fix the carbon issue is less people!! You also can’t say to developing countries they can’t consume in the same way as 1st world countries. Also can’t tell the likes of Brazil to stop cutting down the Amazon, as the likes of Europe, USA etc cleared their forest a few hundreds years before.

Alternative proteins also need resources to produce and while carbon footprint might be less than red meat, they also use a lot of water, fertilisers and other inputs.

DISC - bought a few CO2 for my daughter. But in the meantime enjoying the 50%+ return on SFF to date.
    Last edited by Sideshow Bob; 23-09-2021 at 05:44 PM.