sharetrader
Page 25 of 88 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
    percy
    Last edited by percy; 02-12-2020 at 01:03 PM.

Dilettante

I wasn't aware of that kiora, that SFF had settled this. That's great news. I must have missed it in all the reports I've read. Do you have a reference for me to look at ?
    Beef exports have been incredibly resilient this year but I only have numbers up to end of Sept. It will be interesting to see why there was a 30% drop in October as you say, but regardless, I think it is incredible how well our meat exporters have come through this crazy year and how reasonable bull prices have been maintained:

https://beeflambnz.com/sites/default...%20Country.pdf

https://file-us.clickdimensions.com/...7-005056b6486e

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Thanks Percy. This explains it and it was always expected that our beef exports to China would reduce from late 2019 once China got on top of the swine flu and increased pork production again. But we have been able to counter some of that with increases into USA, Korea, Japan and Canada

percy

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I wasn't aware of that kiora, that SFF had settled this. That's great news. I must have missed it in all the reports I've read. Do you have a reference for me to look at ?
    Beef exports have been incredibly resilient this year but I only have numbers up to end of Sept. It will be interesting to see why there was a 30% drop in October as you say, but regardless, I think it is incredible how well our meat exporters have come through this crazy year and how reasonable bull prices have been maintained:

https://beeflambnz.com/sites/default...%20Country.pdf

https://file-us.clickdimensions.com/...7-005056b6486e
    Shipping is a major issue for exporters - SFF would be affected but there was a reference in the ODT at the weekend (NZ Herald article) that SFF & Fonterra would not be quite so bad because of Kotahi.

Problems in China will start to flow through to stats. below from one of the shipping companies:

We would like to give you an update on the current situation for reefer shipment to Tianjin. Due to the instruction issued by local authorities, all reefer shipments to Tianjin are required to complete an inspection and test for COVID-19 before release. As such, reefer plugs in the terminal is facing severe shortage, resulting vessel berthing schedules being postponed.
    Due to the aforementioned, all related inbound operations as well as container pickup activities have been severely impacted. As a result, reefer plugs has been fully utilized. Despite every effort, it was not possible to timely discharge all reefer containers in Tianjin and subsequently diverted to alternative ports such as Qingdao, Dalian, and other China Ports or keep the cargo at Busan. We anticipate that this situation, which is beyond XXX’s control, and will continue for the upcoming weeks.
    Given the above situation, we would like to offer the following options related to your cargo:
    (1) Accept delivery at current port of discharge if situation allows Or,
    (2) Divert your reefer containers to another port / destination Or,
    (3) Return your reefer containers back to origin
    (4) In case we don’t receive any instruction from you, XXXXXXX reserves the right to take necessary arrangement.
    Please note that for all options, all additional costs, risks and liabilities related to the storage or movement of the cargo after discharge will be for the account of the cargo owner. We kindly ask for you to provide us with written confirmation of your preferred choice for taking delivery of the cargo at your earliest convenience in order for us to initiate the necessary arrangements. We regret the inconvenience that these circumstances may cause and the terms of this notice shall be read in conjunction

So definite constraints with shipments to China.

Dilettante

I saw somewhere (can't find it now) earlier today that Don Braid of Mainfreight said they have 350 containers in China meant for Europe and have been told they will not be able to ship them onwards until sometime in January at the earliest. This is becoming a major and very serious issue for both exporters and importers.

Guru

MPI primary industry outlook:

Situation and Outlook for Primary Industries (SOPI) December 2020 (mpi.govt.nz)

Meanwhile coming up to the SFF end of FY, and last trades at 80c.....

Guru

Believe there will be increasing pressure on meat companies in terms of shipping and coldstorage, as get into peak season, at least in the South. Many public coldstores are near capacity, and can foresee it starting to impact production - with plants maybe not saving low value items or slowing their production.

On top of this, Dalian port has just closed - which is the primary Chinese port for NZ lamb exports. Shipping lines now not accepting bookings and cancelling those not loaded. Other destinations also have delays or significant congestion charges.

In terms of SFF, hope their Kotahi relationship is paying off, but would be unsure on coldstorage situation. Cashflow likely to be starting to hurt - although nothing like the old days!!

Interesting to see how pricing/competitive situation pans out. Could be an opportunity to lower prices if processors are constrained??

Likely about 2.5months to FY announcement, not much share activity happening.....

Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Agree. Not a good look at all.