sharetrader
Page 48 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Problem is I think they are worth more than $1.50.,and I would be scared some one bought them...lol
    You could try “fair value”, around the $2.50 mark !

percy

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You could try “fair value”, around the $2.50 mark !
    That sounds more like it.!!..

Advanced Member

Silver Fern Farms chief executive Simon Limmer says the company plans to expand its carbon-zero offering beyond beef to also include lamb and venison.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/far...cid=app-iPhone

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Silver Fern Farms chief executive Simon Limmer says the company plans to expand its carbon-zero offering beyond beef to also include lamb and venison.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/far...cid=app-iPhone
    The last comment from Simon is key - "There is only one direction of travel for our industry and Silver Fern Farms wants to be out the front leading".

Good to see and again another step in front of domestic competition. Part of this will be the recognition that free-range, extensive NZ agriculture is/can be a sustainable source of protein.

Alot of it is based on the fact that many NZ farms are carbon positive, sequestering more carbon than what they emit. The First Carbon-Zero Farm in New Zealand | Toitū Envirocare (toitu.co.nz) I don't think Lake Hawea Station is anything particularly special as a farm compared to other Kiwi farms (apart from the owner having more cash than average).

Policies undermining instead of promoting NZ farmers | Otago Daily Times Online News (odt.co.nz)

Don't want to start a debate on global warming and meat/dairy ruining the world, but enough of this carbon farming bull****, and productive NZ farms going to pine trees never to be cut down and creating other problems for our environment. Grrrrrr......I think I'll shut up now......

Maybe talk about fossil fuel fertilizers, palm kernel, polluted rivers, distance to markets, animal welfare. That will do to start with.....
    NZ farmers are trying to pull the wool over the eyes of consumers.
    "Carbon zero",when mostly all you have done is buy carbon credits to off set theirs.... load of BS.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by BDL View Post
    Maybe talk about fossil fuel fertilizers, palm kernel, polluted rivers, distance to markets, animal welfare. That will do to start with.....
    NZ farmers are trying to pull the wool over the eyes of consumers.
    "Carbon zero",when mostly all you have done is buy carbon credits to off set theirs.... load of BS.
    I suggest you look into the work SFF is doing in this field. As far as I can see, they are genuinly trying to make a difference to processes to achieve much lower carbon footprint and are NOT just buying carbon credits. They are well aware of the increasing number of customers that take these issues seriously, particularly in the USA for SFF, so it is a logical business decision to do this.
    Credit where credit is due.

You´re outburst may be better directed at the Government that went to COP26 with a great plan to buy lots of carbon credit overseas !!!! But that´s not a debate for this thread I suppose :-)

From a recent Stuff article:

""Climate position 'a sham'
    The party's old guard isn't happy either.

Former party co-leader Russel Norman, speaking in his capacity as head of Greenpeace New Zealand, says Shaw's position as climate minister is "highly problematic".

He called the nationally-determined contribution to reduce carbon emissions Shaw took to the COP 26 climate conference in Glasgow in October "a farce".

"It's just a sham. Almost all of it is being met by these offshore carbon credits, so it's obviously farcical. You can't say you're serious about climate change and then pay other people somewhere else in the world to cut emissions," he said.""
    Last edited by iceman; 10-01-2022 at 02:59 AM.

I said "mostly buying carbon credits", not "Just buying carbon credits".
    I have no doubt SFF are doing a lot of work in this area. Lots of companies are, they have to, to stay abreast of the competition out there.

There is a lot of "green washing" going on, this Labour government is not doing anything like it promised regarding climate change.
    My point is that if you are going to promote your product as truly "carbon zero", it really will need to be genuine, and I just don't know how long NZ can get away with "off setting carbon" like this, besides all the other known environmental issues.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by BDL View Post
    I said "mostly buying carbon credits", not "Just buying carbon credits".
    I have no doubt SFF are doing a lot of work in this area. Lots of companies are, they have to, to stay abreast of the competition out there.

There is a lot of "green washing" going on, this Labour government is not doing anything like it promised regarding climate change.
    My point is that if you are going to promote your product as truly "carbon zero", it really will need to be genuine, and I just don't know how long NZ can get away with "off setting carbon" like this, besides all the other known environmental issues.
    We are in full agreement on that :-)

Guru

Agree BDL, there is alot of "greenwashing" going on with various companies and entities, and is one of my pet hates. As is off-setting, especially overseas companies buying land here for planting (or NZ buying credits overseas to meet what the govt has committed to). Also agree re the current government, they are just tinkering around the edges, however I think only way out of the carbon/global warming issue is changes in technology. Especially with expanding global populations.

I don't think someone like SFF would be going down this road unless it was absolutely genuine. It is backed by an outside agency, and the likes of the link I posted earlier the farm is carbon positive - so sequesters more carbon than it emits (according to their certification). Initally expect it will be a very small portion of their production and a bit of a trial, and if was being cynical, something for a bit of positive PR.

Farming has been measured by their carbon output only, and not their net carbon position - ie the difference between what they emit and sequester. The downstream processing/transport is more difficult currently to be carbon neutral, but many processors have already taken steps to reduce coal use, water use etc. However still more to be done though, both on farm and in processing.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Down to only 144 available at $1.18

Quite a large volume at $1.20 offer. About 170k.

If a supplier, then buying now for a likely 10% cash back in April....
    Think a supplier would have had to be on the register by 31st December 2021 to qualify for patronage rebates.
    Since then we have seen trades between $1.16 and $1.20.Majority at $1.20.
    Today 22,000 have been traded at $1.19.
    Quotes are now buyer for 6,206 at $1.15 and seller of 8,000 wants $1.19.
    Positive.