sharetrader
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

So nobody can give me an example of a succesful , risky IPO on the NZX?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    So nobody can give me an example of a successful , risky IPO on the NZX?
    Lets think of some risky IPO's - 42 Below, Ecoya, Wellington Drive, Xero, Burgerfuel, Charlies, windflow ...
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Advanced Member

itc provenco aquaria 21 (lol) sealegs A2 corp , blis

Many of them have been good for trading but as long term propositions none have so far proven they have what it takes

Quote Originally Posted by upside_umop View Post

I would say the most comparable listing to Martin currently would be Sealegs. They both target a similar type of market, and it is yet to proven (the last time I looked). McKee-Wright hyped that one up to the maximum.....
    What about Submarine Adventures. There was a guy who liked pottering around in alternative transportation (like Martin). Had an innovative deep water vehicle, Needed underwater certification (like Martin will need air certification); went tourism (Martin thinking of this) , could only get a few bods in the boat each launch (compared with one bod per jetpack). Submarines started as a tourism venture - diversified into a sub builder and ended up a defunct real estate training company.
    One dives the other flies. Back then one observer said " I reckon it will go under" I reckon Martin will crash and burn

Legend

Bruce Simpson on Aardvark has had a bit to say about the Martin Jetpack, here's one blog. Apparently he's well thought of in rocketry circles. He didn't recommend anyone to buy shares in the business. I quite liked the idea of the submarine venture (above), and another outfit thought about making their own here: but I think the cost to produce a decent working model was $1mill -Seabug.

Surely it would be easier to design something that travelled underwater, rather than tried to defy gravity.
    Last edited by elZorro; 19-10-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Bruce Simpson on Aardvark has had a bit to say about the Martin Jetpack, here's one blog. Apparently he's well thought of in rocketry circles.
    For someone highly regarded in rocketry circle (not any circles I know) - Bruce Simpson skips over key issues in his Blog.

The Bell Rocket Belt has been around since 1961, and Jetpack International does have one. They even fly it regularly to promote energy drink Go-Fast. As Bruce Simpson said it only flys for 30 seconds - what he didn't say is that only 15 people have managed to master one in 50 years (more people have been to the moon), and the fuel is only available from one source, is highly hazardous, and costs about $1500 per flight. The Martin Jetpack is not going to be ursurped by this old technology, if any thing it is the other way round.

I think one of the major problems Martin Aircraft Company faces is its use of the term Jetpack for the aircraft. Sure it attracts attention, but it also produces so much sceptism. If they were promoting the worlds lowest cost (capital and running) and easiest to fly helecopter, we would all immediately understand its commercial attraction.

Guru

Rocketman - for disclosure purposes, are you associted with Martin Jetpack in any way?
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Yes - I am assessing financing options for the company, and wish to understand views that will influence the success or failure of these options.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I think one of the major problems Martin Aircraft Company faces is its use of the term Jetpack for the aircraft. Sure it attracts attention, but it also produces so much sceptism. If they were promoting the worlds lowest cost (capital and running) and easiest to fly helecopter, we would all immediately understand its commercial attraction.
    I think you might be right there. "Jetpack" does imply a science fiction wonder which has some appeal - thats why people are prepared, so far, to back a bloke pottering in his back shed.

From what I can see it looks like a couple of rotor blades strapped to your back - so is more of a helicopter type experience or more of a "plane" experience without the wings.

I reckon there might be more commercial value in adventure tourism if you tethered the Martin to a huge long pole or a great long wire and let people have a blast under their own control. Perhaps a bit like "fly-by-wire" but with the advantage of being able to go up and down, forwards or back under your own control. As far as I can tell with "fly-by wire" you just get pointed in one direction and you have no choice on your start or finish point not where you go along that wire. Your alternative is to tie a 100m rope, suspended at least 102m from the ground and nearest hard object, to someone wearing a Martin and let them go wherever they like. I'm kinda imagining some cantilevered launch pad over the Kawarau gorge. Bungy jump to one side with some Pom bouncing on a rubber band. On the other some mad German, biffing himself off the launch pad knowing the only way he can get to the bottom is through his own controlled ascent / descent. Now that could be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    Good luck getting that scheme past the safety manderins, minimoke. But yes, I'd give it ago!
    Keeping with a "bloke in a shed", Kiwi No.8 Wire" theme surely popping down to Mitre 10 for a pair of ear muffs and a high viz vest would see you right on that score.

Mr Martin might like to track down Alastair McWhannell, Stephen Parson, John Collet, Peter Kollar to name a few, for their views on his idea.