sharetrader
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Having bought at about 70 cents it still gives a 5% return at 3.5% coupon, so acceptable to me in the current climate.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

I have some of these in the bond portfolio for two reasons.

Firstly as a hedge against inflation. Inflation raises interests rates, which is good for IFTHA. Secondly, the price discount means a better interest rate than the "coupon" rate, which is good for me.

But I will admit that I haven't bought any since the price went over 6500.

Oh, and thirdly, Infratil continue to buy them back on-market, which helps provide a little support to the price.
    Last edited by GTM 3442; 27-03-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Just checked properly and my average is 64 cents, so almost five and a half % return. Bought a few more today at 66.95.

IFTHA down to 60ish along with the outlook for rates, reset upcoming may be to circa 3.5% so effective circa 5.8% at current market value. Still seems attractive but obv the market is risk averse with an ever lower long term outlook for rates.

I bought a few more yesterday. I still feel the return is pretty good at current price and probably keeps my average around the 63-64 cent mark. I am getting close to being overweight in IFT bonds in general, but as the fixed term bonds mature I can decide whether to reduce or hold at current portfolio%. I don't think I've finished buying IFTHA just yet...

And however far the OCR and bank rates fall, I'm guessing the rate on these will look attractive enough in comparison. It would be nice if the 1.5% was a bit higher, but it is what it is and I'm always happy when payment date rolls around.

I hold a few of these, bought and sold at varying prices. While the margin over and above the 1 year swap rate is only 1.5%, as interest rates go down the margin increases in percentage. At the moment currently at 3.63% (swap rate 2.13) the margin is at 70%. if the swap rate goes up to 5% then the margin is 30%. I would imagine then that the value of these should increase in a low interest rate environment and decrease somewhat in a higher rate environment. Maybe this is what happened years ago as I see previous posters buying a .55. Has gone as high as .78 in recent year or so.

Another thing I dont understand is when we get close to the interest payment date at CI. The price seems to go down. I would have thought it would go up. After all you are buying bonds at thr quoted price and then get the interest shortly. The contract note specifies the interest taken away from the quoted price and leaves a lower figure for purchase of the capital stock. When it goes ex the price remains the same sowewhat and after a month or so, they increase in price. It seems to me at least that that is the trend. Why.

IFT must be careful when buying back because they dont want the value to rise too much. What a good buy for the company. $1-00 bonds at 63 cents.

I believe unlike other bonds issued by IFT, they can never be tranferred to shares, which if the company shareprice is suffering they will change debt to equity. For this reason I dont think I would like the other bonds issued by the company. Anybody still holding these. I like the yearly reset so it keeps up with the inflationary chages more quickly that five year bonds.

Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    I hold a few of these, bought and sold at varying prices. While the margin over and above the 1 year swap rate is only 1.5%, as interest rates go down the margin increases in percentage. At the moment currently at 3.63% (swap rate 2.13) the margin is at 70%. if the swap rate goes up to 5% then the margin is 30%. I would imagine then that the value of these should increase in a low interest rate environment and decrease somewhat in a higher rate environment. Maybe this is what happened years ago as I see previous posters buying a .55. Has gone as high as .78 in recent year or so.

Another thing I dont understand is when we get close to the interest payment date at CI. The price seems to go down. I would have thought it would go up. After all you are buying bonds at thr quoted price and then get the interest shortly. The contract note specifies the interest taken away from the quoted price and leaves a lower figure for purchase of the capital stock. When it goes ex the price remains the same sowewhat and after a month or so, they increase in price. It seems to me at least that that is the trend. Why.

IFT must be careful when buying back because they dont want the value to rise too much. What a good buy for the company. $1-00 bonds at 63 cents.

I believe unlike other bonds issued by IFT, they can never be tranferred to shares, which if the company shareprice is suffering they will change debt to equity. For this reason I dont think I would like the other bonds issued by the company. Anybody still holding these. I like the yearly reset so it keeps up with the inflationary chages more quickly that five year bonds.
    Hi BF
    Don't expect changing debt to equity a likely scenario. Worth revisiting Infratil long explanation of the history of IFTHA and possible outcomes.
    http://infratil.com/assets/Uploads/PiiB-July-2016.pdf

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitrev View Post
    Hi BF
    Don't expect changing debt to equity a likely scenario. Worth revisiting Infratil long explanation of the history of IFTHA and possible outcomes.
    http://infratil.com/assets/Uploads/PiiB-July-2016.pdf
    I feel sorry for the poor b*ggers who bought these at time of issue, and I suspect that a good proportion of those folk didn't understand what they were buying.

I hold some of these in the bond portfolio. They're in there because sometimes they are cheap, and because the floating rate works as a hedge against inflation.

But that's only the case if you buy 'em well below face value.

What's with the sudden increase in price and volume? Surely Tim Brown's not thinking of doing the unthinkable....