sharetrader
Page 53 of 101 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Bit of rustling among the leaves on both sides of the Tasman today, a wee stirring of interest maybe ??

Quote Originally Posted by blockhead View Post
    Bit of rustling among the leaves on both sides of the Tasman today, a wee stirring of interest maybe ??
    Yep - interesting ground swell - and much more buyers than sellers now on both sides of the ditch, despite slightly retracting coking coal prices (well, retracting in RMB / USD ... obviously given the falling AUD / NZD the balance looks still favourable over here).

Notice as well other Steel / coal suppliers rising (e.g. BHL, though they mine as well oil and other metals)

Maybe the tide is turning after all?

Discl: hold (both BRL and BHL)
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Yep - interesting ground swell - and much more buyers than sellers now on both sides of the ditch, despite slightly retracting coking coal prices (well, retracting in RMB / USD ... obviously given the falling AUD / NZD the balance looks still favourable over here).

Notice as well other Steel / coal suppliers rising (e.g. BHL, though they mine as well oil and other metals)

Maybe the tide is turning after all?

Discl: hold (both BRL and BHL)
    Not to rain on the parade but this may be due to the recent oil and general commodities rebound on China QE speculation. I wouldn't be holding my breath if CC is linked to oil price as I'm still very bearish on that front...

In the BRL company update Sept 2014 they stated, "2014 Mine production cash costs- Av. range NZ$75- 85/t ex mine."
    In the latest efficiency report they stated, " ...to under NZ$115/t mined."
    I'm a little confused here and have asked the question but BRL never reply to emails.

Can anyone enlighten me where I have erred, ie its more expensive to mine after efficiencies are put in place?
    Thanks
    Last edited by tony64peter; 05-02-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tony64peter View Post
    In the BRL company update Sept 2014 they stated, "2014 Mine production cash costs- Av. range NZ$75- 85/t ex mine."
    In the latest efficiency report they stated, " ...to under NZ$115/t mined."
    I'm a little confused here and have asked the question but BRL never reply to emails.

Can anyone enlighten me where I have erred, ie its more expensive to mine after efficiencies are put in place?
    Thanks
    Well spotted & good question. Potentially it is the difference between break even (just counting cost of sales) and sustainable operation (including overheads). However - why don't you just give them a call? They are here to help:

Capture.JPG
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Well spotted & good question. Potentially it is the difference between break even (just counting cost of sales) and sustainable operation (including overheads). However - why don't you just give them a call? They are here to help:

Capture.JPG
    Thanks, On your suggestion I did call and it is as you have stated. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tony64peter View Post
    Thanks, On your suggestion I did call and it is as you have stated. Cheers
    Thanks for the feedback ... and good to hear that they attend to the phone .
    ----

Lets hope Met coal follows the lead.
    http://www.mining.com/coal-price-ral...s-china-22896/

Looks like a nice upwards trend emerging ... and I thought it might be a good idea to establish what the shares might be worth.

So - I took my good old DCF spreadsheet and used the following assumptions:

* production figures as per BRL's latest investor presentation (404 kt in 2015, ramping up to 3Mt in 2020)
    * production cost per ton coking coal mined: NZD 115 (as pre the recent "efficiency" report);
    * transport and handling to get the coal on ship: NZD 70/ton (this is my weakest data point - I think I remember this number from an old PRC
    prospectus, but couldn't find any actual data - any hints appreciated)
    * 2 percent annual inflation
    * sell price: assuming 3 scenarios: low (NZD200/ton) - medium (NZD250/ton) and high (NZD300/ton).
    At this stage the coking coal price is very low - slightly below NZD200)
    * given the high risk requesting a return of 16% annually.

OK - and the result?

My BRL share is worth
    $0.22 (assuming a long term average coal price of NZD 200 / ton - unlikely)
    $0.95 (assuming a long term average coal price of NZD 250 / ton - likely) and
    $1.68 (assuming a long term average coal price of NZD 300 / ton - unlikely)

Not bad for a share which is currently available for 3.7 cents ... unless I made some wrong assumptions.

Any constructive comments appreciated ...

Discl: holding (some) - consider owner bias and DYOR
    ----

Guru

Yep... I think you may have some wrong assumptions sorry mate. The best predictor of future coal price is the price now... (finance 101) and that is nowhere near NZD200/ton

Don't get me wrong... I am tempted to dip my wick in right now as well so to speak.