sharetrader
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default TEM.NZX - Templeton Emerging Markets Investment Trust Plc Ord Shares

Investing in emerging markets if carried out wisely should be more profitable then investing in NZ. Now i realise to do this from NZ has its difficulties.
    However we have TEM on the NZX which allows us to do just that. TEM never seem to get mentioned on this forum. I am wondering if anybody has invested in TEM and like to share some of their reasons why, or maybe some reasons why not to invest in TEM.NZ

Appreciate any replies, Forest

Share Collector

I have held TEM successfully for quite some time. Can't say I follow closely, but it has been the best performing of my overseas investment trust holdings, including other Asian funds held via LSE. Being able to hold/trade on NZX is a nice advantage.

It's one of the stocks that I consider to be promising, but haven't bought it myself. If we see some stability in markets, Euro and USD then this ll definitely be something I will look at investing in.

Forest is this exempt from the FIF regime. Unless it is it would be an absolute no no for me.
    Possum The Cat

Yep Hold. Bought mine between 11 and 12. Purely for exposure to emerging markets. Easy as being on NZX. Holding Long Term.

Possum interesting question, I am not to sure, maybe a accountant on this forum can explain the tax implications for both investing and trading TEM. Its important that we aware of our tax obligations.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by POSSUM THE CAT View Post
    Forest is this exempt from the FIF regime. Unless it is it would be an absolute no no for me.
    TEM would certainly come under the FIF regime. But IMO, basing your investment decisions purely on tax considerations will lead to bad investment decisions. I guess the main consideration would be, does TEM have a net dividend yield of 1.65%? If it does, holding TEM will be cashflow positive for the holder. If not you will have to make sure you have enough income from other investments to cover your annual tax bill. It follows that if the underlying investment in TEM is good, then TEM should be a good long term investment for the holder.

SNOOPY

discl: do not hold TEM
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by forest View Post
    Possum interesting question, I am not to sure, maybe a accountant on this forum can explain the tax implications for both investing and trading TEM. Its important that we aware of our tax obligations.
    I like TEM, I've owned them for quite a while and if you look at their long term performance since inception they're a stunner.
    I'm an accountant and my understanding is that if you invest more than $50K N.Z. you are liable for all the calculations implicit in the FIF regime...that's a cost price of $50K per person or $100K for joint holders.

Stay under these limits and you're exempt from the FIF regime. Great stock to have as a growth component of a well diversfied portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I like TEM, I've owned them for quite a while and if you look at their long term performance since inception they're a stunner.
    I'm an accountant and my understanding is that if you invest more than $50K N.Z. you are liable for all the calculations implicit in the FIF regime...that's a cost price of $50K per person or $100K for joint holders.

Stay under these limits and you're exempt from the FIF regime. Great stock to have as a growth component of a well diversfied portfolio.
    Is that $50k in one investment or of your total overseas investments? And what if the initial investment was less than $50k and moved in value to greater than $50k?

Snoopy Thanks for the confirmation, it is what I thought, It would for me have to be a very large investment to be worth the Hassle. And there are plenty of other investments that can be made. The inconvenience of this FIF regime has to be taken into consideration when choosing investments.
    Possum The Cat