sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Property Investment Seminars - which one's are real and which one's are scams?

I'm continually trying to educate myself in the property market by attending seminars, reading books, audio CD's etc. It seems that half of the things available are either get rich schemes or people talking themselves up to make a living out of it. How hard can it be to find someone who has written a genuine book relaying genuine (and relative to nz) methods, guides & strategies????

Muave IMO all of them are scams. Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts
    Possum The Cat

muave
    read Martin Hawes book on Property investment
    while relatively simple I think if you read it carefully you will find it worthwhile for thirty bucks
    http://www.martinhawes.com/books.shtml
    Attachment 3097

or better still , do a paper in property investment extramurally from one of the universities. there was one as part of the diploma I just completed and the Hawes book was part of the recommended reading. I could flick you some stuff as well. PM me if your interested.
    Last edited by peat; 10-12-2010 at 08:22 PM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by muave View Post
    I'm continually trying to educate myself in the property market by attending seminars, reading books, audio CD's etc. It seems that half of the things available are either get rich schemes or people talking themselves up to make a living out of it. How hard can it be to find someone who has written a genuine book relaying genuine (and relative to nz) methods, guides & strategies????
    hey Muave I belong to the local property investors assoc and find the speakers there pretty good,they have bought in a few investors with diverse strategies which i have gained heaps out of, i suppose it would depend on whos running your local, would agree that commercial seminars are a crock of ra ra property scmoossers
    Last edited by robo; 11-12-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robo View Post
    hey Muave I belong to the local property investors assoc and find the speakers there pretty good,they have bought in a few investors with diverse strategies which i have gained heaps out of, i suppose it would depend on whos running your local, would agree that commercial seminars are a crock of ra ra property scmoossers
    sounds like a good place to start. whats the best way to track them down, or can you give me a website, contact etc? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by POSSUM THE CAT View Post
    Muave IMO all of them are scams. Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts
    they all sound good at the time but if you do enough digging you quickly find that they've misconstrued their position and success..... makes sense really. why would someone go to the effort of speaking to groups of people if they're successful enough to be able to do what ever they wanted.

just move your cursor to the left of this bulletin board and click on google and type in NZPIF and your local will be listed there, I find it great being able to talk to people who have been in the game for decades, and like on this forum there are many different outlooks such as buy and hold,traders, developers, they also have agencies come in and give briefings about legislation changes etc etc good luck muave
    Last edited by robo; 13-12-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Mauve. Good advice above. Remember Rule No One.
    The first people to make money out of property these days are those that sell Property Investment Seminars. It does not follow that attendees will do the same.

I'd go as far as saying that those attending Property Investment Seminars are likely to loose money in property because they don't understand Rule No One.

"and success..... makes sense really. why would someone go to the effort of speaking to groups of people if they're successful enough to be able to do what ever they wanted. "

Went to listen to Doug Somers-Edgar many years ago. As part of his spiel he claimed that he had been so successful that he had been able to retire at age 35. He was then in his fifties and was flying up and down the country holding his infamous "investment" seminars in draughty church halls and similar venues. I thought "successful" .....yea right.
    But getting back to property.......the most important aspect is Tenant Selection. And for that reason I have left it alone.

Forget the seminars.
    Read books by Bob Jones (his first one), Martin Hawes, and Peter Aranyi and you will get the theory of residential and commercial property investment.
    If you want seminars, join the New Zealand Property Investors Association http://www.nzpif.org.nz/ and attend their meetings.