sharetrader
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default MQG Macquarie Group

Any thoughts on Macquarie Bank? I'm thinking of entering when the current downtrend ends but I am a bit unsure about it's exposure to the subprime sector and whether there would be any lingering effects.
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.

This is a great stock IMO but is greatly affected by the US markets. MBL has announced that they are not affected by sub prime problems accept for their Fortress fund.

It will be a great buy but will only go back up if the US market stabilizes.

They still hold great infra assets that do not look like they will devalue that much in the near term.

Hope this helps
    Up up and away!

I see that First NZ has it as an 'outperform'. The sub-prime thing has affected a couple of their funds aimed at higher risk fixed interest investors. Apart from pi$$ing the investors in these funds off, there is very little risk to Macq itself apart from a general slide in equity markets.

Advanced Member

I am down quite a bit from MBL still. Bought the first lot at $87 (just a few weeks ago, can you imagine). Was thinking of jumping in at $70 for long-term hold as the other trades were just that, trades. Everything will come down to their half yearly result in October later this year. I must say, the reason why I bought at $87 is because of their upbeat AGM.

$70 is their fair valuation, so i would say a recommend buy. at that price. too bad i got no money and dont wish to get too involved as well as market volatility is still very much around and wont see them dying off yet
    Up up and away!

im in at 79.77 i brought 2 days be4 they announced the sub prime thing so im gutted, thought i had got it at a bargain!!

IMO 70 too as a bargian, but i just didnt have to funds to top up at 70 eh

they are australias biggest investment bank so anyone wanting to raise anything would obviously go to them.

they markets in australsia has been saturated, so i have looked into their overseas prospects and that seems to moving in the right direction.
    Oil - NZO
    REE - ARU
    Copper - EQN/OXR/TMR
    Iron- AGO/ADY/UMC
    Nickel-WSA
    PGM/Gold - PLA/VRE

Dazza - just as well u had no cash the other day eh

I wouldn't rush in now just because the price is long way off $100 - I'm sure we will hear a lot more about the inner workings of this convulated set of debt laden companies.

Did you know MacBank has over 800 separate 'controlled entities' and many of these also have other 'controlled entities' ...... wonder if any one person knows how much debt (not disclosed in MacBank accounts) there really is ..... and the cost of debt just got higher ..... and I nearly forgot that once the cost of capital goes up the asset valuation models that MacBank run all of a sudden reduce the value of the assets .... but then MacBank probably have other means to fix that

MBL will live to fight another day.

Wouldn't touch in now though - could be a long time for the good times to return.

Advanced Member

Note how all the instos had this down as a screaming buy , giving price targets of 100+
    Just another example of the crooks at work.

Guaranteed they knew of forthcoming problems and were desperate to offload as much as they could while simultaneously ramping it as a buy.

These days if anything rated a big buy by the instos then avoid. It no coincidence that the stocks they have been most bullish about have been financial stocks , the very ones now being caned.

Ratkin - could this 'crash' (if it happens) be the end of capitalism as we know it?

Maybe guys like Mahatma Ghandi, Bernard Lietaer and Muhammad Yunus and their thinking were right .... even Marx was misinterpreted

Not tomorrow .... not next week .... not next year .... but sometime.

Just as the Berlin Wall falling was the end of communism maybe it is another wall in Wall St falling that signals the end of capitalism
    Last edited by winner69; 15-08-2007 at 06:44 PM.