sharetrader
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I think the attraction is (other than good management) is that IVC is in death industry! People are living longer and apparently that means lower death rates and lower growth in death rates - does not sound promising does it! Peter Lynch likes this industry and I am not sure whether that is the reason why this stock is so expensive!

But the industry is so unglamorous! Does your kid or youngsters in the family aspire to work in the death industry and make a decent living/career? Is it a cool thing to do? So there is no or very minimal competition and very difficult to start a new business! Which youngster or entrepreneur in the right mind would start a business in the death industry where everyone is pumping money to prolong it? If you work in death industry will you get attention from your friends? I could go on... There is more to business than p/e ratios, book value etc.. There is a lot of intangible value in this business..

Mortatility rates have been improving for a long time (NZ Stats)...

DEATH_BY_AGE.png

But overall, the number of customers for companies like Invocare have been increasing, although the rate of growth slowed from around 1970 (NZ Stats)...

DEATHS_ALL.jpg

And Baby Boomers are joining the mortality stats in growing numbers (NZ Stats)...

DEATHS_BABY_BOOMERS.png

Banned

Analysts report a soft death rate at the moment but a chart from Invocare's website indicates from about 2011 onwards the death rate should spike higher. Actual annual deaths about 140,000 in 2010, projected to reach 163,000 in 2019.

NPAT, EPS, DPS all expected to be up 30-40% from 2012-2014. Might be a little expensive, but I'll certainly top up on any weakness, it's a $1.4b company.

Yeah RRR, hardly a glamorous industry, but an essential one that won't be going away any time soon, been watching them for a few years, since about $5 a share and it doesn't decline very often.

And since I'm a baby boomer myself I'm slowly moving into a more conservative POV, I'll retire end of next year.
    Last edited by Skol; 01-06-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Last post 3 years ago! I am still holding. Share price has not moved much in the last 3-4 years. Expanding to USA - California.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR View Post
    Last post 3 years ago! I am still holding. Share price has not moved much in the last 3-4 years. Expanding to USA - California.

Business slowing down ...gone soft ....we need people to die

https://www.smh.com.au/business/smal...17-p4zy10.html
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Business slowing down ...gone soft ....we need people to die

https://www.smh.com.au/business/smal...17-p4zy10.html
    Looks as though we will not be able to totally avoid death,"In the longer term,the trend for death remains positive."
    Yeah right.?

IMO

What a b'stard , people living longer and only a light flu season.Wrong cycle for death stocks.

Wow, my last post 3 years ago... I am still invested and added over the years, now the largest holding, 6 figure sum
    Not a stellar return but decent.
    Future is promising as always - they are renovating funeral homes to re-set for the future
    Share price $15.33
    Last edited by RRR; 25-04-2019 at 06:38 PM.

IMO

Looks to have been a bit of a rollercoaster for you RRR. Last time i looked there was alot of cut price budget competition piling in and stuffing things up for IVC. Looks to have adapted or altered its strategy going by the price recovery happening though?

Most of their cemeteries are in NSW right? Presumably the legislative changes permitting 25 to 99 year renewable interment rights in NSW are a good thing for IVC... provided customers aren't put off by the prospect of being dug-up!