sharetrader
Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi Ho "SILVER"

Veteran novice

From Share Cafe.

Solar panels to support demand for silver.

http://www.sharecafe.com.au/fnarena_...?a=AV&ai=19280

Banned

Maybe someone can kindly help me out. I have been going through some of my elderly mother's things and there's 2 kg's of silver in her safe.

2 ingots of about a kg each with a MG inside an oval. They both have 999 stamped on them with another number, maybe a serial number. One is 880, the other is 906.

Has the weight stamped and looks like the letters W&H stamped inside a pennant.

Veteran novice

The W&H inside the pennant is the mark of Walker and Hall, silversmiths and jewellery retailers.

I won't hazard a guess on the other clues!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    The W&H inside the pennant is the mark of Walker and Hall, silversmiths and jewellery retailers.

I won't hazard a guess on the other clues!
    Thanks, appreciate it.

Advanced Member

MG in an oval is the mark of the Sydney refiners Matthey Garrett Pty Ltd (now Johnson Matthey Limited).

999 is the assayed purity level.

When to sell - that's the question eh Skol?

With silver currently at about $31, let's hope your poor old Mum didn't buy it back in 1980 at $48 - that's well over $120 in today's money!

I was salivating over silver futures (NYMEX:SI) at IB when they were $27 about a week ago? 5000:1 leverage...So tasty

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    MG in an oval is the mark of the Sydney refiners Matthey Garrett Pty Ltd (now Johnson Matthey Limited).

999 is the assayed purity level.

When to sell - that's the question eh Skol?

With silver currently at about $31, let's hope your poor old Mum didn't buy it back in 1980 at $48 - that's well over $120 in today's money!
    Hi Phaedrus, thanks a lot. Don't know when she acquired the silver, yeah, when to sell, that's the question. Moving to take over my mother's financial affairs, have Power of Attorney, a new experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Hi Phaedrus, thanks a lot. Don't know when she acquired the silver, yeah, when to sell, that's the question. Moving to take over my mother's financial affairs, have Power of Attorney, a new experience for me.
    Skol

Silver appears to be in an uptrend although I am not a chartist as such so maybe somebody who is could give you their current thinking

Wink

It all makes sense now Skol is a silver hoarder who has been down ramping it so as he can buy more at a cheaper price before it goes through the roof.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by miner View Post
    It all makes sense now Skol is a silver hoarder who has been down ramping it so as he can buy more at a cheaper price before it goes through the roof.
    haha, will probably sell it and do my bit to send the POS down.