sharetrader
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

And next will be the painters for a repaint to do more than just the safety harnes

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan macgregor View Post
    The difference in compliance cost including GST from yester year is making owning your first home unaffordable to most.
    Not just new houses either.

About 4 years ago I looked at replaceing inrernal electric water cylinder with external gas model.

HWC $ 700
    Plumbing $ 250
    Compliance and consents $ 1245

Crazy

Advanced Member

The biggest bludger in the housing market creating the unafordability of houses for the younger generation is the govt first, closely followed by the council. Lets face the reality of the price structure from fifty years ago before leaky homes was invented. In those days houses were encouraged to breathe treated timber didnt matter. Council costs were reasonable where inspectors could make decisions about minor matters along the way. Land developers did not have to buy and donate land to greedy councils in order to get a small subdivision underway.
    Today the Govt in their wisdom changed the building code creating leaky homes, then did an about turn and went over board in the opposite direction, making huge unnecessery costs the other way.
    Fifty years ago they did not have a 15% gst levy on labour, and materials, so that alone is a 15% rise in house prices. The council now wont make a decision about anything, and require engineer reports for even the very basic trivial matters. When you look at scaffolding costs added to the price of a basic house on the flat, the whole thing becomes a sick joke. I definately would not be a builder again in this country the whole thing is a laughable sick joke created by greedy incompetant people with no practical understanding of even the basics in building. Macdunk

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan macgregor View Post
    ". . . Today the Govt in their wisdom changed the building code creating leaky homes, then did an about turn and went over board in the opposite direction, making huge unnecessery costs the other way. . . . . "
    Ummmmmmmm Duncan, wasn't it the builders who built the leaky homes ? Isn't the code meant to be a quality baseline not a quality cap ?

Nobody comes out of the leaky homes mess clean.

Sure New Zealand property prices are high:

because local government rations land creating an artificial scarcity,
    because New Zealand is a high-cost economy without off-setting economies of scale,
    because New Zealand doesn't produce enough (skilled) tradesmen,
    because New Zealand is intent on exporting the tradesmen it does produce.

This mess took decades to create, and will take decades to sort it out.

Sad.

GTM3442 most builders told them they would leak but were told to build to the regulations
    Possum The Cat

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Ummmmmmmm Duncan, wasn't it the builders who built the leaky homes ? Isn't the code meant to be a quality baseline not a quality cap ?

Nobody comes out of the leaky homes mess clean.

Sure New Zealand property prices are high:

because local government rations land creating an artificial scarcity,
    because New Zealand is a high-cost economy without off-setting economies of scale,
    because New Zealand doesn't produce enough (skilled) tradesmen,
    because New Zealand is intent on exporting the tradesmen it does produce.

This mess took decades to create, and will take decades to sort it out.

Sad.
    I refused to build the leaky home and was ridiculed as an out of date stupid bastard by your so called inspectors. Its not the builders fault he gets a plan, then has to stick to it right or wrong. He gets his work inspected by some incompetant who charges the earth, then signs it off if comes up to standard. Leaky home is an airtight exterior cladding with an airtight interior cladding thermos flask effect. The wind and rain blows against the wall on the outside creating air pressure much higher than the air pressure inside the wall. The wall then sucks water even up hill to equalize the pressure. The first leak might be where the plumber screws his downpipe to the wall. Builders regardless of how good cant stop that. Now the idiots realise the mistake in design and have over compensated with huge additional unnecessary materials when the only thing wrong was the wall was not allowed to breathe. I was taught all that as a first year apprentice in Scotland in the early fifties for petes sake thats why I never built a leaky home ever. In times gone bye before treated timber houses built then still stand simply because the walls were allowed to breathe and were encouraged to do so. Macdunk

Saw a comment by Olly Newland that he thought prices In Auckland were only half that in Paris, New York etc.
    Adding to my posts of 2 yrs ago, some latest sales in my area of Henderson were
    cv 300k, sale 417k
    cv 330k, sale 510k
    cv 265k, sale 367k (2brm)
    A total do-up 2 brm in Glendene bought at auction for 441k, complete revamp, 3rd brm added, sold for 520k 2 mths later.
    All these houses needed some work, they weren't flash, which raises a problem I have with many owners, who simply let their places go to crap, bank the capital gain and let some poor mug clean up the mess. This is an unsung cost to owning a home, which, added to all the other inflated costs mentioned in this thread, must keep some folks in continual hardship.
    But, is renting a better alternative??
    Last edited by George; 19-09-2013 at 08:09 PM.

In quite a few cases the CV's are not realistic, 1. being a year or two or more out of date. 2. As you say george, they have been done up to a more or lesser degree distoring the CV value.
    All the media focus on is "it was bought for X$ and sold for Y$ a 87% increase and 120% increase over the CV" and not mention the property has been renovated and how much was spent.
    Yes still good profits being made, (does the IRD know?? probably not in a lot of cases) but not as much as the media make out
    My thoughts anyway
    Last edited by Jay; 20-09-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added 1 word to make sense

If I am correct New Zealand has (especially in Auckland) one of the highest property prices in the world. Both commercial and residential rents are very high. New Zealanders spend more of their income on housing than any other developed country in the OECD as well. Even in Christchurch property prices have gone up. On the other hand property prices in Wellington are flat.

The constant obsesity by many to own residential rentals, govts silly tax breaks promote it, thus demand is high and prices follow. If govt only gave tax breaks to those building new homes for rentals it would free up used market for 1st home buyers, grow the building industry and housing stock. I am not really in favour of it but I can see a capital gains tax being applied to slow things down in the future