sharetrader
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I guess we could sit here forever arguing points. Is anyone prepared to offer a solution to the current problem? If you think there is one.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pumice View Post
    should we put an age limit on education? .
    Yes.

With the possible exception of a Doctorate but if they are researching something useful, they should be on a scholarship only.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Is that because an old person getting further education offers no economic benifit?
    What about health? should we have a cuttoff point for that as well?

Thats a decision future governments will have to make I suspect.

Haha I need to chill out, whiskey time
    Last edited by Pumice; 25-01-2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Whiskey

thanks for the responses, enjoyed reading through them. Should just clarify the situation. When overseas the interest rate on the student loan is 6.6%. Currently im on a repayment holiday which means that i do not have to make any compulsory repayments for 3 years (and i havent as yet). Even when i do have compulsory payments it is only going to be 1000nzd every 6 months. So making minimum payments wont be a big strain.
    Ethically speaking, i dont want to leave it on the backburner forever and do plan on paying it back. At the moment my main decision is whether i should be doing this overseas or when i return. Although ideally ill return to london (currently ski hosting in the alps) next year and land on my feet with a super high paying job and then the decision on where to send money will be easier. But considering that this is unlikely i feel i need a better plan.

Disc, My useless degree was geography

Thishastowork what job does this degree qualify you for. As I can not understand why you would pay to do such a degree. So please educate me
    Possum The Cat

I have a friend who picked up a job in Brisbane working for a mining company who starts on $70k AUD who studied geology.
    Thats damn good money in my books.
    No nz company would offer anywhere near that kind of money.
    Maybe if we had a mining industry.......

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pumice View Post
    Is that because an old person getting further education offers no economic benifit?
    What about health? should we have a cuttoff point for that as well?
    Benefit of oldies eductation - none - they dont use it to be productive (ie. earn income for them or the country)
    Benefit of oldies healthcare - save a life. - potentially you could value a life (diminishes with age) to determine whether to spend money

There are cheaper ways to occupy old people if they get bored but wasting money on educuation doesn't see any payback
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

I've got no problem with people "abusing" the interest free student loan system.

If the facility is there i expect it to be used.

Those proactive enough to use it to make money are simply using their ingenuity and because of this will repay the government 10000 fold in tax receipts over their lifetime, compared to your average dole bludger.

Also if people are doing this, it exposes the ridiculous nature of the system, discrediting the government who introduced it and making its repeal more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Man View Post
    I've got no problem with people "abusing" the interest free student loan system.

If the facility is there i expect it to be used.

Those proactive enough to use it to make money are simply using their ingenuity and because of this will repay the government 10000 fold in tax receipts over their lifetime, compared to your average dole bludger.

Also if people are doing this, it exposes the ridiculous nature of the system, discrediting the government who introduced it and making its repeal more likely.
    They will certainly pay all that tax IF they stay in NZ.
    (Which many of us would love to.)
    If they remove the SL scheme, what would they replace it with? Fully subsidised education and a universal student allowance?

I think those that wield the voting stick are not likely to favour that sort of policy.

Pumice at least Geology is useful even if there are at present few jobs in NZ but what use is a geography degree.
    Possum The Cat