sharetrader
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Quote Originally Posted by audiav View Post
    I do have a Kernel account, only hold Global 100 and Infrastructure unhedged
    Sorry Jaa, just realised you were asking who my Kiwisaver provider is, it is Milford Growth, like Iceman. I’ve been with them since 2009.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I don't mind you asking. I actually decided to go to Milford Growth Fund. It is an actively managed fund and is quite concentrated in a few stocks that are not your normal run of the mill in passively managed funds. I liked what I saw and will be watching it closely and possibly moving to a passively managed index tracking fund quickly if I don't like it. So a bit of a punt, but my punt.

I lost faith in Simplicity when they started several schemes they think is "socially responsible" and then invest my retirement savings in these schemes without me having a say in it. Simplicity scares the **** out of me now.
    Milford’s active growth? I have my KiwiSaver split between Milf’s active growth, balanced and aggressive. I have changed the mix proportions a couple of times. They supply good information and have good online access. The returns seem to be above the industry averages. Certainly more detailed information and more flexibility than the big bank scheme I was initially with.

I’m the same, just pulled some back from aggressive to balanced… 50% growth, 25% balanced, 25% aggressive

On the doghouse

Default Simplicity Homes & Income fund

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I lost faith in Simplicity when they started several schemes they think is "socially responsible" and then invest my retirement savings in these schemes without me having a say in it. Simplicity scares the **** out of me now.
    Are you referring to this fund?
    https://simplicity.kiwi/investment-f...nd-income-fund

It is certainly a novel approach to an investment fund. But it looks like it is 'contained'. IOW if you like the Simplicity cost structure, but don't like this particular 'sector' that Simplicity has created, then you don't have to invest in it.

Looking at the target asset allocation for the 'homes and income' fund there is a 10% allocation to 'community social housing'. The bit you don't like? But on the upside, I guess most of the rent for those properties would be guaranteed by WINZ?

25% allocation to 'residential morgtages'? I don't have a problem with Simplicity providing competition for the banks in this area.

25% allocation to 'unlisted property'? The listed property sector in NZ I find quite limited. There are only eight companies that provide suitable liquidity for a fund manager to invest in. And despite the PIE tax benefits they offer, my take is that none of them are bargains. So I can understand the sidestep by Simplicity to unlisted property.

What concerns me the most is the 40% allocation to cash or cash equivalents. While handy for providing access to liquidity for opportunity, as a long term investment class, cash has traditionally provided the lowest returns. High interest rates are likely providing a sweet spot for cash investments right now, that one would not expect to see in the future. It seems odd to have a long term target of having 40% of your fund in cash or cash equivalents! But then I though again about how illiquid those other constituents of this fund are. So it could be the cash is needed to provide for the ebb and flow of investor money, and in particular the position of the fund if a whole lot of investors suddenly want out.

It is this high cash allocation that would put me off investing in this fund. But personally I don't have a problem with the rest of the fund allocation. YMMV and obviously does?

SNOOPY

PS

Sam Stubbs podcast interview is here:
    https://simplicity.kiwi/learn/update...garner-podcast

Community housing being built includes a 51 unit complex of one and two bedroom units in Mt Albert (where there is the biggest demand). 10 year leases are on offer, and Simplicity intends to be the long term owner. 42% of people in the OECD live in apartments. In NZ it is about 3%. This is because we have built out, out and out. By land area, Auckland is now the fourth largest city in the world. Building up next to transport hubs supermarkets and schools is where residential development has to head. Simplicity buys the land, builds the apartments, rents them and maintains them in a vertically integrated in house operation. The building code says you have to build something to last 50 years. Simplicity builds are designed to last 100 years. But costs are saved by building all of the apartments to be exactly the same, including colour schemes. Interior decor is all white, although tenants are allowed to paid the walls a different colour if they wish. Architects will say that is 'cookie cutter' design. But everything else we buy, be it cars or baked beans is cookie cutter. Cookie cutter does not mean poor quality.

When you have happy tenants they are not 'tearing the place up' and they are 'looking after each other'.

Expertise has been provided by townhouse developer 'NZ Living' formerly owned by philanthropists Shane and Anna Brearly who transferred that company to become 'Simplicity Living'. The target is to be building 1,000 homes per year within five years

Simplicity are prepared to build on hospital board land and iwi land that hey do not own. Tenant could include the elderly who want to live close to hospitals and hospital staff who can avoid 'the big commute'

State house building and private house building were a match for each other up until about 1980. But since then the build rate of state housing has halved, leading to a 45 year supply demand imbalance that has pushed up house prices well ahead of inflation. It is a convenient way to keep house prices high and house owners feeling wealthy and free to spend their money. But it also disenfranchises a whole generation that cannot get on the property ladder.
    25% of NZers spend more than 40% of their income on rent or mortgage, making NZ the least affordable country in the OECD in which to live. The last bill you won't pay is the rent or the mortgage. So if you are invested in housing it is very secure cashflow
    Last edited by Snoopy; Today at 09:54 AM. Reason: Work In Progress
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

I think the concern Snoopy was that the Simplicity Growth and High Growth funds feature holdings of Simplicity Living in the top 5.
    Growth it's number 2 and High Growth it's number 4.

Shane Brealey and Sam Stubbs are people who get things done. They make it very clear they want to do good things and that doesn't have to involve not making money for investors.
    Last edited by thegreatestben; Today at 09:54 AM.