sharetrader
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    Where did you invest your kiwi saver and retirement money?

Individual stocks
    Different types of funds
    100% cash fund
    Others

I am in 100% cash fund as I didn’t want to take extra risk from my retirement funds. I found in some situation even cash fund could become risky. Therefore, I am hoping to put entire money into individual stocks and looking for a quality retirement funds provider. Is it a risky decision? Thanks.
    KS all in active growth..Bear markets appear to only last less than 2 years so I find its imperative that I have 2 years of liquidity(mainly revolving credit facility) without selling any investments.
    My view is your investment risk is highest if you have long term term deposits.What will your term deposit be worth in 10,20,30 years?.Will it have kept up with inflation?

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    KS all in active growth..Bear markets appear to only last less than 2 years so I find its imperative that I have 2 years of liquidity(mainly revolving credit facility) without selling any investments.
    My view is your investment risk is highest if you have long term term deposits.What will your term deposit be worth in 10,20,30 years?.Will it have kept up with inflation?
    Yes KS all in active growth with me too
    but hey Kiora, just so you know it took 24 years for the high of 1929 to be broken.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Yes KS all in active growth with me too
    but hey Kiora, just so you know it took 24 years for the high of 1929 to be broken.
    That's why good to diversify into primary industries,land as well as shares.Seems to be farming up,share markets down or farming down share markets up.Just that primary industry investments tend to be less liquid so need 2 years of liquidity to offset.

Has anyone done comparisons of Kiwi Saver fund performance to overseas ETF funds such as the Vanguard ETFs? I would be interested to know if Kiwi Saver funds have outperformed US ETFs holding equities.

I'm keen on knowing the impact of the upcoming 'capital gains tax' that would have on NZX shares and Kiwi Saver funds?

Superlife, Simplicity and ASB (and maybe others) invest directly in Vanguard funds, so the returns will just reflect their own fees, the PIE tax and any gains/losses from their currency hedging strategy (if applicable)

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    Superlife, Simplicity and ASB (and maybe others) invest directly in Vanguard funds, so the returns will just reflect their own fees, the PIE tax and any gains/losses from their currency hedging strategy (if applicable)
    That defeats the purpose and looks like double dipping. Good reason why I told wifey to keep opting out of Kiwi Saver.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Moved to 100% Conservative with Kiwisaver about a week ago. Looked at the returns in the Milford fund and was around 6% over the last year - no doubt helped by currency.

Question is whether current turbulence is just a few bumps, or on the way to a bigger correction. But went for capital preservation in the meantime.
    So Bob, did you buy back in to growth funds?

Quote Originally Posted by Toulouse - Luzern View Post
    Hi Helsenberg

Time for us to think about what's next for portfolio protection ...

1 What is OP please?

2 Can you give a URL link for either AMP Global shares Index Fund with 200 DMA or MSCI World Index with 200 DMA.

I have google searched for these a few times without success.

Did you consider 100 or 30 DMA?

Thanks and regards
    Hi and sorry about slow reply.
    OP means 'original post', nothing to do with investment.

I use barchart to get the 200 DMA data: https://www.barchart.com/etfs-funds/...nical-analysis

As you can see the price is below the 200 DMA therefore last month I switched to cash/bonds.

The 30 DMA would likely be much too volatile and require lots more frequent changes of position. The 100 could work, however from the back testing of this strategy I have seen, the 200 seems to be the sweet spot where you are doing less admin for maximal profit.

Hope that helps.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    That defeats the purpose and looks like double dipping. Good reason why I told wifey to keep opting out of Kiwi Saver.
    Why not get wifey to contribute $ 20 a week , and pick up the tax rebate of circa $ 520 form the govt ??? Not many investments give you 50 % return ........

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    Well that would be the dumbest advice she has ever received.