Hi Serpie, very sorry to hear about the damage to your houses. It's certainly a very worrying time for property owners. You are extremely fortunate to have 4 years rental cover - who did you get that through? As I have not found a company offering more than 6 months rental cover.

I hear John Key has said tonight that the Govt. is going to buy out properties in areas where it is deemed unsuitable to rebuild. In that case, that may be your best course of action especially if you get "market-value pre-quake" or something close to that. Otherwise you risk being left with worthless land if you get an insurance payout for the destroyed house. The formula may be that the Govt. pays the difference between what the insured party receives from EQC and their insurance company for the damaged house/land and the pre-quakes market value. But those who have already settled early with their insurance company may not be treated as well? So many questions at the moment.

Many people I know are concerned about the 18-22 March danger period mentioned by Ken Ring the Moon Man. Seems two other alternative experts agree on this date too. Be careful around that date IMO.