sharetrader

View Poll Results: Should there be a Capital Gains Tax on Property

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    202 100.00%
  • Yes

    61 58.65%
  • Goff is just an idiot

    2,147,483,655 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

    1,930 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
Results 561 to 572 of 572
  1. #561
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    6,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Ahh, but if Labor poll 60%+ which is possible, they might 'forget' their COL partner and concentrate on Greens
    It is irrelevant how they poll. If they want to get prior to the next election anything through parliament they will need NZ First support.

    And pretty sure Winnie will remember his clientele - particularly with the next election approaching soon.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  2. #562
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    8,880

    Default

    https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2019/03/2...-cgt?preview=1 44% in favour 35% opposed, thats decent majority.

  3. #563
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2019/03/2...-cgt?preview=1 44% in favour 35% opposed, thats decent majority.
    Professionals and senior government officials were the most in support”

    Would that be because they would profit from the extra compliance costs that will be inevitable? Or, that they would be better placed to find and benefit from the inevitable loopholes?

    I would like to see the level of support from the high income subset with an exempt yet very expensive house but no other assets.

    It was an ommision that the poll breakdown into owners of assets did not include the support level of those with an exempt principal home asset. Owner occupied housing is a significant class of asset ownership in NZ. They could be well be beneficiary of the proposed TWG scheme.

  4. #564
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Professionals and senior government officials were the most in support”

    Would that be because they would profit from the extra compliance costs that will be inevitable? Or, that they would be better placed to find and benefit from the inevitable loopholes?

    I would like to see the level of support from the high income subset with an exempt yet very expensive house but no other assets.

    It was an ommision that the poll breakdown into owners of assets did not include the support level of those with an exempt principal home asset. Owner occupied housing is a significant class of asset ownership in NZ. They could be well be beneficiary of the proposed TWG scheme.
    With no details of a CGT scheme available yet, it's hard to see how anyone can be for or against it.

  5. #565
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Wellington, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    With no details of a CGT scheme available yet, it's hard to see how anyone can be for or against it.
    There is the TWG report and its recommendations. The ToR were provided by the government so we the people could assume some or all of the recommendations will inform the policy to be announced in April. We could all keep quiet and accept what we are dished up. Good idea?

    In practice there has been some seriously robust debate on the TWG report, and the government might take a bit of notice.

  6. #566
    Permanent Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,138

    Default

    Tax Justice Aotearoa NZ. Read their ad in the herald this morning and agree with a lot of what they say but the name and colours make them sound like a cross between the Greenies and Maori parties. A lot of "out there" people in that crowd.
    Campaign supporters include the Public Health Association, New Zealand Council of Christian Social Services, Council of Trade Unions, Public Service Association, Hui E! Community Aotearoa, Equality Network, Closing the Gap, Poverty Action Waikato, and UCAN (United Community Action Network).
    Last edited by Aaron; 08-04-2019 at 08:05 AM.

  7. #567
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    There is the TWG report and its recommendations. The ToR were provided by the government so we the people could assume some or all of the recommendations will inform the policy to be announced in April. We could all keep quiet and accept what we are dished up. Good idea?
    Of course not, but so much of what I have read is simply blind criticism containing all sorts of wild assumptions, as though it was all done and dusted. I can't see anything wrong with constructive discussion on CGT or any other subject. To repeat my original statement 'With no details of a CGT scheme available yet, it's hard to see how anyone can be for or against it.' That does not preclude constructive comment.

  8. #568
    Veteran novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    7,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Tax Justice Aotearoa NZ. Read their ad in the herald this morning and agree with a lot of what they say but the name and colours make them sound like a cross between the Greenies and Maori parties. A lot of "out there" people in that crowd.
    Campaign supporters include the Public Health Association, New Zealand Council of Christian Social Services, Council of Trade Unions, Public Service Association, Hui E! Community Aotearoa, Equality Network, Closing the Gap, Poverty Action Waikato, and UCAN (United Community Action Network).
    A coalition of supporters of the other coalition's tax policies?

  9. #569
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Gone!
    Looks like jacinda does not have the stomach to roll the dice on an early election.Would have been interesting to see the results.I suspect winnie would have picked up a stack of votes from the nats

  10. #570
    Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    2,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Gone!
    Looks like jacinda does not have the stomach to roll the dice on an early election.Would have been interesting to see the results.I suspect winnie would have picked up a stack of votes from the nats
    Don't see your reasoning here. Winston has lost votes since the election which probably never went to National, since they have also lost votes. So they will just come back from where they went which is likely Labour due to the fact they are the only party to have increased their votes in the polls.

  11. #571
    Senior Member Valuegrowth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12223514
    Lizzie Marvelly: Forget capital gains tax, we need a new plan

    https://www2.deloitte.com/nz/en/page...ns-tax-nz.html


    Is a capital gains tax right for New Zealand?

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/109923112/capital-gains-tax-whats-fair-for-one-person-may-hurt-another
    Capital gains tax: What's fair for one person may hurt another
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 21-04-2019 at 03:09 PM.

  12. #572
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    419

    Default

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-raising-taxes-on-the-rich-isnt-so-crazy-2019-12-09
    Wealth taxes wouldn’t destroy the economy — they’d make it better.
    The economy would benefit directly from a more equal distribution of income because middle- and low-income families spend a greater portion of their incomes than the very rich do, so more money would recycle through the economy.
    Inequality of wealth creates other problems. The top 1% are socking away a greater share of the nation’s wealth; so much so that regular Americans are starved for the capital they need to buy homes, invest in schooling and start new businesses.

    Are taxes on the rich unfair?
    The poor are constantly being reminded that life isn’t supposed to be fair. Get over it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •