2,147,483,658 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

1,935 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 58 of 101 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12223514
    Lizzie Marvelly: Forget capital gains tax, we need a new plan

https://www2.deloitte.com/nz/en/page...ns-tax-nz.html

Is a capital gains tax right for New Zealand?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/109923112/capital-gains-tax-whats-fair-for-one-person-may-hurt-another
    Capital gains tax: What's fair for one person may hurt another
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 21-04-2019 at 02:09 PM.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-raising-taxes-on-the-rich-isnt-so-crazy-2019-12-09
    Wealth taxes wouldn’t destroy the economy — they’d make it better.
    The economy would benefit directly from a more equal distribution of income because middle- and low-income families spend a greater portion of their incomes than the very rich do, so more money would recycle through the economy.
    Inequality of wealth creates other problems. The top 1% are socking away a greater share of the nation’s wealth; so much so that regular Americans are starved for the capital they need to buy homes, invest in schooling and start new businesses.

Are taxes on the rich unfair?
    The poor are constantly being reminded that life isn’t supposed to be fair. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-raising-taxes-on-the-rich-isnt-so-crazy-2019-12-09
    Wealth taxes wouldn’t destroy the economy — they’d make it better.
    The economy would benefit directly from a more equal distribution of income because middle- and low-income families spend a greater portion of their incomes than the very rich do, so more money would recycle through the economy.
    Inequality of wealth creates other problems. The top 1% are socking away a greater share of the nation’s wealth; so much so that regular Americans are starved for the capital they need to buy homes, invest in schooling and start new businesses.

Are taxes on the rich unfair?
    The poor are constantly being reminded that life isn’t supposed to be fair. Get over it.
    The US already has already addressed taxing the wealthy. It's called the Estate or Death Duty tax which kicks in on amounts over $11 Million USD.

Article says the top 1% need to pay more? I agree they do. But in NZ, let's be real, how wealthy are the top 1% of NZ residents? I would say.. not so wealthy, definitely not when you compare income levels of the upper middle class in the US. There would be only a handful of NZ rich that are in the $500K/year income? Whereas in the US in that 1%, you're going to find a lot more earning that kind of money.

If CGT is implemented, then the NZ gov't & IRD need to consider removing existing taxes such as FIF (on those with overseas assets). The biggest impact CGT would have is the Kiwi Saver scheme ; it would mean NZ's tax code would look more and more like how the IRS and Australia and most other nations with CGT, address taxation.

IMO

Can you verify that "only a handful"

Guru

The previous govt took away the kiwisaver tax credits and original 1k contribution. This would have had more of an impact on KS

The tax free status hasn't done much to encourage domestic savings and foreign ownership picks up the "huuuge" NZ investment shortfalls.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 04-07-2020 at 09:47 PM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    The previous govt took away the kiwisaver tax credits and original 1k contribution. This would have had more of an impact on KS

The tax free status hasn't done much to encourage domestic savings and foreign ownership picks up the investment shortfalls.
    Once again you spew misinformation or straight out lies. Are you paid by the Labour Party to do this ? You should disclose if you are.
    The KS tax credits are still in place but at a lower level than they were.
    The Government should in my view totally stop contributions to people´s KS accounts now that the Government´s books are in such a serious negative state.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Once again you spew misinformation or straight out lies. Are you paid by the Labour Party to do this ? You should disclose if you are.
    The KS tax credits are still in place but at a lower level than they were.
    The Government should in my view totally stop contributions to people´s KS accounts now that the Government´s books are in such a serious negative state.
    It would be a more constructive discussion without the personal attacks, in bold above. You could just say I disagree, or that is not correct.
    Panda-NZ- was correct in that the previous government took away the $1K contribution.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    It would be a more constructive discussion without the personal attacks, in bold above. You could just say I disagree, or that is not correct.
    Panda-NZ- was correct in that the previous government took away the $1K contribution.
    He/she has been called out several times in the last little while with straight out misinformation, making statements that are simply not based on fact. Yet it continues. It doesn´t matter whether I agree or disagree. His/her statement is simply not factual.

Edit: But I do take your point moka about my post being unnnecessarily harshly and personally worded, which is something I always try to avoid in comments on this site. Pointless editing it though as I can not edit your quote of it !
    Last edited by iceman; 04-07-2020 at 09:09 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Can you verify that "only a handful"
    I've found not data for NZ but not surprisingly, the US data here:

https://www.investopedia.com/persona...ou-top-1-5-10/

Annual Wages of Top Earners

The latest data from the EPI show that in 2018 annual wages for the top 1% reached $737,697, up just 0.2% compared to 2017.

I think it's fair to say when it comes to the top 1% of earners, NZ's 1% wouldn't be near this US figure.

The tax free status hasn't done much to encourage domestic savings and foreign ownership picks up the investment shortfalls.
    Not sure about the tax free status of KS. Tax unfortunately isn't a well discussed topic among NZ financial advisors. I don't see how they can provide any meaningful advice to clients without breaking down the tax that listed corporations pay, and the tax on dividends that shareholders receive (if not partially input credited), and FIF tax if the shares are foreign based. If there's one thing certain, Kiwi Saver has been a landfall money maker for IRD. This is very different to the tax approach to share investments in the US & Canada where on most part, small investors have the ability to invest tax free (ie ROTH IRA):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q63F1pBrUHA

Neither gov'ts in NZ have proposed what assets would have CGT - nor how it would impact other investments - Kiwi Saver? it's not that easy of an issue to clarify because NZ has come form an unusual stance of having no form of tax on capital gains.

Guru

There is a portion of Kiwisaver, maybe the majority, where tax isn't paid since its a capital gain.

Also keep in mind that it cannot be retrospective which means that you keep all of the existing gains to the current date which is quite fair.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 04-07-2020 at 11:43 PM.