Quote Originally Posted by Vaygor1 View Post
And that is how the current model works. Break-even your whole life, just keeping your head above the water making nothing, and then finally, finally, get your reward at the end when selling the asset. Applies to farmers and landlords alike, and it has never been a choice; it is a result of natural market forces.

If CGT gets introduced the model will change as all landlords/farmers will need to acquire the eventual CG Taxable amount over the period of their ownership. i.e. make up for it by charging higher prices or charging higher rent to make bigger after-tax profits during the ownership period. So either (1) prices/rent will rise, or (2) the cost of housing and farms will drop. I wager 95% of the 'shift' will be seen in (1).

Introduction of CGT will be grossly unfair to those who have had to operate under the existing model for the last 10-40 years, which will not and can not have taken the introduction and impact of CGT into account. CGT will strip current-day landlords/farmers of their reward, compounded by mechanism (2) a reduced sale price for their farm or house.

You say 'some' of these farmers elZ... what about the rest of them... just collateral damage?
Some farmers don't sell, the farm is passed on, so the CGT would roll over. I don't think this govt will bring in CGT without an allowance for inflation. Therefore the CGT should apply to all asset sales, businesses, property excluding the family home (limit on that value depending on location) and farms etc sold to an external party. Maybe the big difference between businesses and property/farming is that the land is a safe risk, it can't be tampered with generally, it doesn't become worthless over time if the business situation changes. So I'd agree with you that some business people break-even for a lot of the time, and at the end there might be no value left. That's not the case for land-owners. Hence they are a bit more aggro about a CGT than business people.