sharetrader
Page 1 of 61 123451151 ... LastLast
    Permanent Newbie

Default TOP Party one to watch in this election

Have not read much except this article.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/top-promi...ce-on-the-side

Investing in the future of NZ an interesting concept other parties may not have considered in their haste to brown nose boomers.

No talk of the Equity Tax and no talk of universal basic income???

Thought I would post here instead of reading TOPs website so I could find out everything wrong with their ideas so I can approach their marketing with an open mind.

Income tax policy seems to be the opposite of ACT with a $15,000 tax free threshold. 45% top tax rate over $250,000 not sure what they are thinking based on what I read all the rich people will leave NZ.

Interesting to hear that Chris Hipkins GST "idea" came from a "focus group". What is a focus group? and should they be deciding policy for all NZ?

Grant Robertson likes the GST idea now he is "in it for us" but David Parker appears to have some integrity and won't say what he thinks. Chippy deserves to lose.

Although Luxon's latest greatest idea is to get foreigners to boost the value of his residential portfolio. This does not appear to consider young NZers or that fact that foreigners buying existing houses adds very little to NZ other than the price of houses. I guess Chris's kids will be OK though.
    Last edited by Aaron; 16-08-2023 at 03:11 PM. Reason: link to article added

Extended interview with Raf Manji (on BHN)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qC2bR644WgU

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Have not read much except this article.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/top-promi...ce-on-the-side

Investing in the future of NZ an interesting concept other parties may not have considered in their haste to brown nose boomers.

No talk of the Equity Tax and no talk of universal basic income???

Thought I would post here instead of reading TOPs website so I could find out everything wrong with their ideas so I can approach their marketing with an open mind.

Income tax policy seems to be the opposite of ACT with a $15,000 tax free threshold. 45% top tax rate over $250,000 not sure what they are thinking based on what I read all the rich people will leave NZ.

Interesting to hear that Chris Hipkins GST "idea" came from a "focus group". What is a focus group? and should they be deciding policy for all NZ?

Grant Robertson likes the GST idea now he is "in it for us" but David Parker appears to have some integrity and won't say what he thinks. Chippy is a di*k and deserves to lose.

Although Luxon's latest greatest idea is to get foreigners to boost the value of his residential portfolio. This does not appear to consider young NZers or that fact that foreigners buying existing houses adds very little to NZ other than the price of houses. I guess Chris's kids will be OK though. What a cu*t.

Focus Group = probably a meet up with the skoolkids at one of the local Primary schools
    previously aka as a Think tank .. the only problem now being that Labour are incapable of that

In desperate times everyone else are pushing their own concepts for policy and it's lost on Labour
    who now know at best they will be possums in the headlights having to roll with punches of the factions
    and trojan hijackers, if not completely swept away by Kiwis at large who have basically had a guts full
    of Lab/Green BS after past 6 years

Yep, first $15,000 of income tax free but tax rate for anyone earning $15,000-$80,000 moves to 20%. Which, for those at the lower/middle of that income bracket, pretty much negates the "tax free" amount.

Not to mention the new Land Tax, which doesn't effect me obviously, but if it did, I sure wouldn't be happy about it.

A land value tax at 0.75% of the value of urban residential land, paid annually.

• Commercial, rural, conservation and Māori land would be excluded.
    • Superannuants could opt to defer payment until there is a change in ownership of the property

Then there is Phase 2:

Universal Basic Income:

• Introduce a $16,500 annual tax-free income to all citizens and residents aged between 18 and 65 years, paid weekly. There won’t be any changes to superannuation.

A UBI will enable people to take time out to invest in themselves (e.g. study or retrain). And, it will free many Kiwis from the welfare trap where they are subject to an undignified, punitive and expensive welfare system. Those on welfare transfers larger than the UBI will be topped up to the original.
    The introduction of a Universal Basic Income will grow New Zealand's economy, and it is estimated to be fiscally neutral (within 1% of GDP).

Alongside our plan to introduce a Universal Basic Income, we will also introduce several targeted reforms to create a highly progressive tax system:

• Remove tax loopholes and simplify the tax system with a single income tax rate of 35% (for personal, company and trust income).
    • Increase the annual land value tax on residential land (established in Phase 1) to 1.25%.

You going to vote for this? I sure as hell wouldn't.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 16-08-2023 at 04:26 PM.

Yeah I'm not sure why they went away from a CGT to a land tax. Many countries have land taxes but I don't think it's going to solve anything and just makes housing more expensive.

Legend

Here's your Land Tax bill for the year (whether you sold, bought land or otherwise)

Be like asking Turkeys to vote for Christmas to most

Considering many are struggling to pay bills with high COL & other increases, another impost
    similar to Annualised rates in one hit is likely to go down really well out in greater KiwiLand

Yet another crazy Pie in the Sky Taxing Policy dribble from TOP most unlikely to go down well in many camps

Almost as dumb as Greens & TP Maori's stance on Wealth Tax especially given Tax & likely Wealth Tax exemption likely on Maori & other large Incorporation Assets/Results ..
    Last edited by nztx; 16-08-2023 at 04:55 PM.

In regards to TOP's tax policy, you would think a self proclaimed 'economist' Gareth Morgan would know better about economics. But what does he care, he's made billions off selling TradeMe. Oh and his charitable organisation has done nothing... never hear a thing in the media release on it's achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Yep, first $15,000 of income tax free but tax rate for anyone earning $15,000-$80,000 moves to 20%. Which, for those at the lower/middle of that income bracket, pretty much negates the "tax free" amount.

Not to mention the new Land Tax, which doesn't effect me obviously, but if it did, I sure wouldn't be happy about it.

A land value tax at 0.75% of the value of urban residential land, paid annually.

• Commercial, rural, conservation and Māori land would be excluded.
    • Superannuants could opt to defer payment until there is a change in ownership of the property

Then there is Phase 2:

Universal Basic Income:

• Introduce a $16,500 annual tax-free income to all citizens and residents aged between 18 and 65 years, paid weekly. There won’t be any changes to superannuation.

A UBI will enable people to take time out to invest in themselves (e.g. study or retrain). And, it will free many Kiwis from the welfare trap where they are subject to an undignified, punitive and expensive welfare system. Those on welfare transfers larger than the UBI will be topped up to the original.
    The introduction of a Universal Basic Income will grow New Zealand's economy, and it is estimated to be fiscally neutral (within 1% of GDP).

Alongside our plan to introduce a Universal Basic Income, we will also introduce several targeted reforms to create a highly progressive tax system:

• Remove tax loopholes and simplify the tax system with a single income tax rate of 35% (for personal, company and trust income).
    • Increase the annual land value tax on residential land (established in Phase 1) to 1.25%.

You going to vote for this? I sure as hell wouldn't.
    Yes I could.

Why? Serious question.

A single tax rate of 35%??????

Quote Originally Posted by clearasmud View Post
    Yes I could.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 16-08-2023 at 07:14 PM.

Membaa

Wikipedia "The Opportunities Party is a radical centrist political party based in New Zealand. It was founded in 2016 by economist and philanthropist Gareth Morgan and is today led by Raf Manji.Wikipedia"

I think that the whole purpose, or strategy if you like, of TOP, given that they have zero chance of getting into government, is to win a ministerial seat and they have heavily weighted their ambitions on their leader Raf Mani who is going after Christchurch’s Ilam electorate.

Other than that, they're an outlier and have no policies that would resonate with the majority of the population imo, and are completely deficient on numerous other important policy matters.

A wasted vote.