74 56.49%
  • Goff is just an idiot

2,147,483,658 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

1,935 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 101 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast
    Permanent Newbie

Inflammatory comments aside nice to see that some smart people think we should look at a capital gains tax. I know I am a dummy so it is good to have smart people consider the issue.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    We have been over this and I have explained it to you, that is all I can do unfortunately.
    Gst probably affects those that earn more and have more disproportionately as well. Most lower income people spend the majority of their income on rent, which has no GST component. Those with more disposable income as a % would spend more GST. So GST is a progressive tax in my humble opinion.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Gst probably affects those that earn more and have more disproportionately as well. Most lower income people spend the majority of their income on rent, which has no GST component. Those with more disposable income as a % would spend more GST. So GST is a progressive tax in my humble opinion.
    Maybe you could give us an example with actual figures to prove your point.

I put a lot of "effort" into my posts on sharetrader but you might have to weigh effort against usefulness, benefit to society or productivity.
    Done. I would be happy with a Productivity Index, which can be overlaid with an Income Index

We have been over this and I have explained it to you, that is all I can do unfortunately.
    I'm going to agree with FP on this one - I dont really see GST as being Regressive. Sure I understand the argument that a regressive tax takes more of a poor persons income that it does a rich person income. And to some extent that can be true - but not in New zealand.

The reasons being is that here the first $14,000 of everyone's income gets taxed at 10.5%. People earning this level pay 15% GST equally. If you are earning $14,000 chances are you will be "poor". Doesn't matter if you are rich or poor you are still paying the same amount of tax out of this income as a rich person.

Income from $14,001 - $48,000 gets taxed at 17.5% and GST stays at 15%. People are now moving out of "poor" to "average" earnings and above the so called "living wage". Again doesn't matter if you are rich or poor or average you are still all paying the same amount of tax.

If you are earning above average wage from $48,000 to $70,000 and no longer poor you will pay 30% of your income in tax. At this point you are no longer paying for the necessities in life like rent or mortgage. you are moving now into more discretionary spending which the poor dont spend. Since they don't spend here their income is no longer disproportionate to their tax. its at this point the average to well off start paying more tax than the poor.

As for those earning over $70,000 they are paying 33% for things the poor will never buy. Paying way more tax than the poor. GST isnt regressive because its not impacting on the poor at this level.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I'm going to agree with FP on this one - I dont really see GST as being Regressive. Sure I understand the argument that a regressive tax takes more of a poor persons income that it does a rich person income. And to some extent that can be true - but not in New zealand.

The reasons being is that here the first $14,000 of everyone's income gets taxed at 10.5%. People earning this level pay 15% GST equally. If you are earning $14,000 chances are you will be "poor". Doesn't matter if you are rich or poor you are still paying the same amount of tax out of this income as a rich person.

Income from $14,001 - $48,000 gets taxed at 17.5% and GST stays at 15%. People are now moving out of "poor" to "average" earnings and above the so called "living wage". Again doesn't matter if you are rich or poor or average you are still all paying the same amount of tax.

If you are earning above average wage from $48,000 to $70,000 and no longer poor you will pay 30% of your income in tax. At this point you are no longer paying for the necessities in life like rent or mortgage. you are moving now into more discretionary spending which the poor dont spend. Since they don't spend here their income is no longer disproportionate to their tax. its at this point the average to well off start paying more tax than the poor.

As for those earning over $70,000 they are paying 33% for things the poor will never buy. Paying way more tax than the poor. GST isnt regressive because its not impacting on the poor at this level.
    Your example is using income tax. A progressive income tax. No arguments from me in that regard.
    Post #72 on this thread if your still unsure.
    Blackcap may have a point especially if you add in bank fees and interest on pay day loans. But these specific examples apply in specific cases it doesn't change the fact that GST is regressive. Why have most other countries exempted basic foodstuffs. We will never agree. Re-read post #72 and if you still don't get it too bad.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post

Not to mention any WFF tax credits as well .......

Legend

Your example is using income tax. A progressive income tax. No arguments from me in that regard.
    Post #72 on this thread if your still unsure.
    Blackcap may have a point especially if you add in bank fees and interest on pay day loans. But these specific examples apply in specific cases it doesn't change the fact that GST is regressive. Why have most other countries exempted basic foodstuffs. We will never agree. Re-read post #72 and if you still don't get it too bad.
    Exempting basic foodstuffs is plain stupid; particularly so with perishables. NZ's GST all inclusive systrem is the envy of tax collectors the world over. Leave GST as is and exempt the first $XXXX of income tax - a much better idea.

Why have most other countries exempted basic foodstuffs. We will never agree. Re-read post #72 and if you still don't get it too bad.
    If you exempt GST on basic foodstuffs the gap between rich and poor remains. Doesnt change the fact that the first $23,000 (from post #72) of income get taxed and spent on basics the same way.

Thats putting aside the inconvenience that while the rich and poor may save a bit on their basic foodstuffs the overall tax take has declined and the cost of managing taxes has gone up (more bean counters to figure out if rice is basic and if so is sushi, or a bowl of rice at the Indian takeaway?

So what do you do. You have to make up the tax shortfall so you could up the rate of GST to 16% which affect the poor and wealthy equally. Or you put up other taxes. Which will either impact on the poor or incentivise the rich to reclassify their income / assets.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Not to mention any WFF tax credits as well .......
    (ah - the old benefit where the less you earn the more you get paid)