• Goff is just an idiot

2,147,483,658 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

1,935 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 71 of 101 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    They sound more like policies addressing the symptoms rather than addressing the main issue to me....
    No. Take a closer look.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I disagree. Absolute poverty (affecting shelter and health) is relevant along with comparative poverty. Rising inequality and inequality in general can affect those at the most disadvantaged end. For example with rising inequality those at the disadvantaged end would feel more excluded and could become less involved with the political and social environment, the more unequal society becomes. Also the latest technology, medical breakthroughs etc. would more likely be further out of reach for those at the most disadvantaged part leading to further divergence in opportunities and feeling of hopelessness and exclusion.
    Inequality is not a problem. The problem in society, which is often blamed on inequality, is poverty at the lower end of the scale. Does anyone who has adequate housing, and all the material goods he wants or needs, plenty of food, clothing etc, really care that some people have a lot more?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Does anyone who has adequate housing, and all the material goods he wants or needs, plenty of food, clothing etc, really care that some people have a lot more?
    Definitely. I have a friend who earns 100k per annum, has adequate housing, minimal material goods due to poor financial management, eats well, is fully clothed. However he is always moaning about rich pricks and how hard done by he is. Plenty of envy out there, and you will find it in the middle classes as well.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Definitely. I have a friend who earns 100k per annum, has adequate housing, minimal material goods due to poor financial management, eats well, is fully clothed. However he is always moaning about rich pricks and how hard done by he is. Plenty of envy out there, and you will find it in the middle classes as well.
    Yeah, but that is not a problem. Or not one to worry about. All the equality in the world will not cure envy. I feel it everyday when I see these young fellas poncing around town with some young filly hanging off their arm.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Yeah, but that is not a problem. Or not one to worry about. All the equality in the world will not cure envy. I feel it everyday when I see these young fellas poncing around town with some young filly hanging off their arm.
    I see where you are coming from. I feel that envy too. But it is these middle class filled with envy that advocate for the politics of redistribution. (My mate and his wife vote Green!)

Guru

More the politics of make everyone pay tax which is often a right wing outlook.
    When professionals pay 30% income and gst and real estate moguls etc pay 0% there are many and varied issues to consider.

Real businesses have to pay a flat 15% on their sales while others pay nothing.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 03-09-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    No. Take a closer look.
    Helping the impoverished, still doesn't help them if asset prices are rising at 7% while wages are rising at 3%.
    Last edited by Aaron; 03-09-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I disagree. Absolute poverty (affecting shelter and health) is relevant along with comparative poverty. Rising inequality and inequality in general can affect those at the most disadvantaged end. For example with rising inequality those at the disadvantaged end would feel more excluded and could become less involved with the political and social environment, the more unequal society becomes. Also the latest technology, medical breakthroughs etc. would more likely be further out of reach for those at the most disadvantaged part leading to further divergence in opportunities and feeling of hopelessness and exclusion.
    Probably poorly worded. I don't think everyone should have the same outcome. Young people should have the same opportunities (education etc) but the outcome rests with the individual. Last time I looked the NZ communist party wasn't polling well. I don't think many support the idea of everyone being exactly the same. I do agree that the continued rise in asset and income inequality is not good for society eventually, the USA might be a lot closer than us.

I don't think any party is seriously addressing the issue.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    More the politics of make everyone pay tax which is often a right wing outlook. When professionals pay 30% income & gst and real estate moguls etc pay 0% there are many and varied issues to consider.
    There are rather a lot of New Zealanders who not only pay no tax, they are net tax takers.

Under what circumstances do 'real estate moguls' whatever they are, pay no tax. Asking for IRD.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    ....I don't think any party is seriously addressing the issue.
    I think the social investment approach does seriously address the issue.