• Goff is just an idiot

2,147,483,658 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

1,935 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 80 of 101 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    What if part of the solution "to fix attitudes" is to broaden the tax base to include those taxes (and maybe others you also dislike?) to encourage investment into taxable income producing and employment stimulating areas. You have already excluded that part of any solution?

Have you got links to the studies that conclude that NZ has higher proportion of people who do not wish to work or are "unemployable" compared with the various Nordic countries?

However I agree. NZ does need to look at the appropriate and relevant education and vocational training, underlying socio-economic causes, underlying taxation issues and other systemic issues behind any non-engagement in NZ society. It would be great to have actual policies that address these issues head-on instead of their coming to grief against the powerful block of vested interests?
    Bjauck you are making huge assumptions about my position on taxes. I am all for fair taxes to maintain a good and FAIR social system.

But in response to your question, no I do not have any links to "studies" on differences between Nordic countries and NZ. I have interests in both a Nordic country and in NZ and trust myself to see the difference, I don't need studies to tell me about it. And the typical Leftie response is that we need to increase wages to get people to work. While that is partly true because our benefits are very high and not much incentive to work, it is not true that the jobs available are all low paying. In my industry (fishing), we can no longer crew vessels with reliable good Kiwi workers. An 18 yo unqualified but hard worker, could get a job in our industry tomorrow if they'd want to go away for 6 weeks at a time. 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off and earn $35-50k a year for 6 months work. But no, going away for a weekend is beyond what they're prepared to do.
    Agriculture and horticulture is in the same situation.
    I've just come from a couple of weeks trip around the bottom of the South Island. I made a point of talking to pub, hotel and tourism business owners along the way. They are ALL complaining about the lack of reliable workers available and some were working much longer hours than they wanted themselves, because they can not get workers.

So I'm sorry to hear you need some studies to prove this to you. Open your eyes and have a look for yourself. The situation in NZ today is outrageous. Stop making excuses for it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

So I'm sorry to hear you need some studies to prove this to you. Open your eyes and have a look for yourself. The situation in NZ today is outrageous. Stop making excuses for it.
    You had seemed to dismiss certain taxes from the outset. My apologies for getting that wrong.

Individual Personal experience is great and is necessary to stimulate discussion. It does however need independent and careful corroboration.

I guess we may have different preconceptions as to where the blame for various shortcomings in NZ lie. I guess the response to Coronavirus brings these differences to the forefront. I think both you and I do try to look for the real causes and not to rely on excuses for the sake of an easy time.

I do try to keep eyes open, but concede you sound like you have greater real life experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us on their* names. Or even better - their* methods. You can't of course-don't believe everything you hear; especially from your envious mates who moan and grizzle rather than going and earning a buck.

* N.B. correct spelling.
    Tax records are private but to enlighten you on their methods this link makes interesting reading,
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ir-go-identity especially the link to IRD research
    wage earners can't avoid tax ,PAYE takes care of that.

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    Tax records are private but to enlighten you on their methods this link makes interesting reading,
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ir-go-identity especially the link to IRD research
    wage earners can't avoid tax ,PAYE takes care of that.

westerly
    That does not explain how to use a trust to avoid tax.

That does not explain how to use a trust to avoid tax.
    I would rather talk to my envious mates. They are not thick.

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    I would rather talk to my envious mates. They are not thick.

westerly
    You can all sit around scheming up how to 'redistribute' someone else's goodies.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 12-10-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Advanced Member

You can all sit around scheming up how to 'redistribute' someone else's goodies.
    "Since this is an era when many people are concerned about 'fairness' and 'social justice,' what is your 'fair share' of what someone else has worked for?" Thomas Sowell.

Comments?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    "Since this is an era when many people are concerned about 'fairness' and 'social justice,' what is your 'fair share' of what someone else has worked for?" Thomas Sowell.

Comments?
    Fairness and social justice is nothing new. For the Commonwealth, The Magna Carta in 1215 is a classic example.

Anyway was it fair profit/payment for the person's work?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 12-10-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Fairness and social justice is nothing new. For the Commonwealth, The Magna Carta in 1215 is a classic example.

Anyway was it fair profit/payment for the person's work?
    The willing buyer - willing seller concept will determine that.

Guru

The willing buyer - willing seller concept will determine that.
    ....and the laws of the land. Those laws include taxes so I guess what is fair in NZ is whatever the Queen-in-parliament resolves as law?