• Goff is just an idiot

2,147,483,658 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

1,935 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101 LastLast
    Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Just curious - how else would you describe yourself, based on this post, other than selfish?

Reminds me at the old joke: Everybody cares only about himself, only me cares about myself.

Let me ensure you, boomers are people like you and I, and the Gauss curve distribution applies for them exactly as for every other generation, race, nationality or gender.

But given that you clearly don't seem to be a boomer (unless you are a masochist as well), I apologize on behalf of your parents, who you clearly describe as some extraordinary selfish ars*holes. These things happen in any generation, but particularly selfish people conceive them this way.
    I don't think I ever said I was not selfish and self centred.

A bit wealthier and I could be voting for ACT these elections rather than leaning left.

I can see why people vote the way they do. I do not have to like it.

That is one of the reasons I can accept being forced to pay tax as I would not willing give anything to anyone.

Ars*hole seems a bit strong to me, perhaps just "selfish and self-centred" would be more appropriate.

Generationally speaking you should read the fourth turning. More theoretical bull but sounds plausible.

Sounds like these things go in cycles so I can't get too upset.

Unraveling
    According to Strauss and Howe, the Third Turning is an Unraveling. The mood of this era they say is in many ways the opposite of a High: Institutions are weak and distrusted, while individualism is strong and flourishing. The authors say Highs come after Crises when society wants to coalesce and build and avoid the death and destruction of the previous crisis. Unravelings come after Awakenings when society wants to atomize and enjoy. They say the most recent Unraveling in the US began in the 1980s and includes the Long Boom and Culture War.[2]

Individualism sounds better than selfish or self centred. This is the third turning, according to them and if they are right the fourth turning will be a doozy but fortunately per the authors the Millennial Generation (which they also describe as a Hero archetype, born 1982 to 2004) shows many similar traits to those of the G.I. youth, which they describe as including rising civic engagement, improving behavior, and collective confidence.
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-07-2023 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

Generationally speaking you should read the fourth turning. More theoretical bull but sounds plausible.

Agree, good book (though terrible reading, but this is another story). Good explanation of one major drivers of history. Read it together with "The Changing World Order" by Ray Dalio - and the development of history appears pretty straight forward.

However - these things are not inevitable for the individual ... you know, anybody can brake out of the negative connotations of their own generation and do useful stuff instead of moaning about others ... no matter whether this other is a different generation, a different race or a different nationality.

Anybody can change themselves, but nobody can change anybody else, which means that generalisations (in this case "the boomers") are not just wrong (as any generalisation), but as well absolutely pointless.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Agree, good book (though terrible reading, but this is another story). Good explanation of one major drivers of history. Read it together with "The Changing World Order" by Ray Dalio - and the development of history appears pretty straight forward.
    Good book but you obviously do not agree with their conclusions. I take things with a grain of salt when it is a theory but they suggest people are at least partly shaped by the era and turning they were born into, for example. I have highlighted the bits I think you will find most annoying.

Prophet (Idealist) generations enter childhood during a High, a time of rejuvenated community life and consensus around a new societal order. Prophets grow up as the increasingly indulged children of this post-Crisis era, come of age as self-absorbed young crusaders of an Awakening, focus on morals and principles in midlife, and emerge as elders guiding another Crisis. Examples: Transcendental Generation, Missionary Generation, Baby Boomers.[55]

I hope the Hero Millenials aren't pushed into fighting another war by the selfish(individualistic) boomers
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-07-2023 at 05:54 PM.

Aaron, sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the referral.

Good book but you obviously do not agree with their conclusions. I take things with a grain of salt when it is a theory but they suggest people are at least partly shaped by the era and turning they were born into, for example. I have highlighted the bits I think you will find most annoying.

Prophet (Idealist) generations enter childhood during a High, a time of rejuvenated community life and consensus around a new societal order. Prophets grow up as the increasingly indulged children of this post-Crisis era, come of age as self-absorbed young crusaders of an Awakening, focus on morals and principles in midlife, and emerge as elders guiding another Crisis. Examples: Transcendental Generation, Missionary Generation, Baby Boomers.[55]

I hope the Hero Millenials aren't pushed into fighting another war by the selfish(individualistic) boomers
    Actually, I thought the theory is quite convincing. What I don't agree with are generalisations like "the boomers".

But, given the thread title we probably pushed that far enough ... and don't forget - given that the boomer generation are with or without the book the leaders in the current crisis situation (just look at the main political players these days) - better don't trample too much over them! You don't want to distract your leaders, they better focus on setting up a good foundation for the next saeculum, otherwise we all are screwed!
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 13-07-2023 at 08:34 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Oh ****. I guess I had better add "selfish, individualistic boomer" to the list of undesirable JAK traits then. Between you and my buddy Balance, that list is getting longer by the day.

....by the selfish(individualistic) boomers

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Oh ****. I guess I had better add "selfish, individualistic boomer" to the list of undesirable JAK traits then. Between you and my buddy Balance, that list is getting longer by the day.
    OK Boomer.

I imagine Balances insults are personal but mine are across a whole generation so don't take it personally you might be one of the good unselfish boomers that Blackpeter says might exist.

Permanent Newbie

Tried reading the sports pages to avoid the depression brought on by all the other news but then read that Marc Ellis is looking to leave NZ. I think he has done quite well for himself not sure if you could say "rich". But it is not the unimaginable thought of a capital gains tax driving him from these shores it is

New Zealand feels as if it is being pulled apart at the seams. I thought we were egalitarian and unified but some people who feel slightly disenfranchised use that to exacerbate rifts for political reasons.

I suppose it is unreasonable to expect a larrikin to tough it out and try and make things better. He did not offer any solutions and I wonder if there are any? Just a cycle we have to go through? Not sure if he means Maori when talking about people who feel slightly disenfranchised or ACT or Green supporters.

There was also an article about immigration although they did not discuss the age demographic, I will assume it is young people finally getting around to voting and they are voting with their feet.

Not to fear boomers, after shi*ting on the younger generations all your life just because the ungrateful little b*rstards don't want a minimum wage job wiping your old ar*e in a rest home, there is plenty of cheap labour wanting to come to NZ as it is still relatively better than a lot of places around the globe. (Not Italy according to Marc, I hope he doesn't have the gall to support the AllBlacks at the world cup as he is heading to the Azzurri country)

Note to administrator happy to be banned for bad language I think I was happier when I couldn't post.
    Last edited by Aaron; 14-07-2023 at 09:03 AM.

A capital gains tax is long long overdue in NZ but NOT under a Labour government which only knows how to spend and squander taxpayers' money on wasteful spending.

Bring CGT on ASAP so NZ is in line with the rest of the OECD.

Guru

Tried reading the sports pages to avoid the depression brought on by all the other news but then read that Marc Ellis is looking to leave NZ. I think he has done quite well for himself not sure if you could say "rich". But it is not the unimaginable thought of a capital gains tax driving him from these shores it is

New Zealand feels as if it is being pulled apart at the seams. I thought we were egalitarian and unified but some people who feel slightly disenfranchised use that to exacerbate rifts for political reasons.

I suppose it is unreasonable to expect a larrikin to tough it out and try and make things better. He did not offer any solutions and I wonder if there are any? Just a cycle we have to go through? Not sure if he means Maori when talking about people who feel slightly disenfranchised or ACT or Green supporters.

There was also an article about immigration although they did not discuss the age demographic, I will assume it is young people finally getting around to voting and they are voting with their feet.

Not to fear boomers, after shi*ting on the younger generations all your life just because the ungrateful little b*rstards don't want a minimum wage job wiping your old ar*e in a rest home, there is plenty of cheap labour wanting to come to NZ as it is still relatively better than a lot of places around the globe. (Not Italy according to Marc, I hope he doesn't have the gall to support the AllBlacks at the world cup as he is heading to the Azzurri country)

Note to administrator happy to be banned for bad language I think I was happier when I couldn't post.
    You are sick. Get some help.