sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Aaron Do they own the shares they are recommending? If everybody that receives the report buys the price should increase. And they have an opportunity to sell at a profit I like to know what is being touted as it gives false signals as to volume & value as the followers follow the recommendations. You can find out about a lot of what is being recomended by reading around. Also if they are so good at picking shares with their reports why are they not making money out of buying the shares they are recommending rather than selling you their reports to make money.
    Possum The Cat

Share the dare ! Even with system aids , one still has to stand back and see what is going on around the place . Are we in a huge correction atm....?

There is a daily e-mail service that you can sign up to www.lazeebuoy.com . They provide a real service to all those laid back individuals who are renouncing any strenuous thinking. If you sign up (its $100 per month), they will send info tweets on the colour of your socks and tie and which style of underwear is appropriate for that day. Its a godsend!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I may never get around to understanding companies and their values. Does anyone subscribe to an investor newsletter or service that tells you what to buy and sell and when. IRG have a subscriber service but I understand David Mcewen is not part of it anymore. What about the "Intelligent Investor" in Aussie? Does anyone have any recommendations. I guess I would be more inclined to subscribe to the "income Investor" rather than "Diggers and Drillers"
    I could just buy an index fund but have concerns that we may be in a situation like Japan has been through with a long slow asset deflation over many years. Mind you I can always think of reasons not to invest. Maybe a newsletter would let someone else do the thinking for me.

percy

well team we better all wash out our mouths with soap.!!!! possum the cat,you better say 100 hail marys or what ever you do.Maybe write something positive about RYM.!! lol.
    WHY ?.Because the new owners of Sharechat are IRG.ie McEwen.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    well team we better all wash out our mouths with soap.!!!! possum the cat,you better say 100 hail marys or what ever you do.Maybe write something positive about RYM.!! lol.
    We are safe percy ... sharetrader was not part of the deal

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    McEwen has left IRG and set up his own business.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

percy

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    McEwen has left IRG and set up his own business.
    He goes with our best wishes.May he go far,and quickly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    I have considered it for this reason as well. I use a discount broker (ASB) so dont get brokers reports, so other than this forum, I havne't found any other good starting places for research.

I have been a buy and forget investor but the portfolio is now of a size where a bit more active management wont be overly expensive or seen as trading.

Does anyone have any suggestions for free/cheap thought-starters.

I note that ASB does have 'recommendations' but I dont like the fact that they dont have any Avoid or Sell recommendations and only 2 reduce. Maybe they dont cover the dogs but why not - It cant be that time consuming to write 'this company is bad we dont spend any time on it and nothing we have heard in the last 6 months changes our opinion'
    Does anyone have any suggestions for free/cheap thought-starters.
    Yeah CJ... sort of...
    I trade online with DB and I just use their basic $29 brokering function. DB have Thomson Reuters on their website ....this is found on the drop down quote box on the company's quote webpage. You don't get this function unless you're logged in so I guess you have to register to the DB website. Reuters have a basic FA run-down on nearly all the stocks and they have a sell>>>outperform barometer.
    If you haven't heard much about a stock and what they do, then Reuters could be a thought starter and then expand outward from there via google etc.

Just remember about these company FA fact sheets.

They are a basic FA snapshot of that company on the day of analysis ...sometimes there is no reference on the fact sheet the date when that analysis was done (some use figures with quoted dates) so always assume the data and recommendations (barometer) could be out of date.
    Last edited by Hoop; 15-06-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Hello Karen.
    Yes I subscribe to David McEwen's newsletter and I think he is very good. It is full of commonsense viewpoints (and ideas I hadn't thought of).
    I have never met him but my impression is that he is a straight-forward chap.

I have been an investor for 40 years and am still getting plenty of decisions wrong. The more you know about investing, the more you know you don't know !!
    Some of David's picks do badly. In this fast-changing world that is the nature of 21st Century sharemarket investing.

Even if you are doing well now, TAKE CARE !! you may think you are clever when in fact you have just been lucky.

Have some fun & I hope it works for you !!

Hi Fellonius

Thank you for your thoughts. I was given a couple of Mcewen's reports to read recently and could agree with you that he seems to have some commensense viewpoints.

I could also agree with you - "The more you know about investing, the more you know you don't know !!"

I guess, as is so very often pointed out on this site, the bottom line is DYOR! But always, it is good to know the thoughts of others.