sharetrader
Page 120 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1527

Thread: PAZ Pharma Zen

I'm also taking joint health (what a decrepit collection of old buggers we are!). My family won't let me back on SCUBA until my knee will bear my full weight without pain, so it's up and down in the pool. Forty boring lengths.

I don't know if the Joint Health helps, but a hundred years ago I researched the biology of mussels with a view to farming them. At that stage, the MacFarlane Mussel Co produced "Seatone" which a peer reviewed paper showed reduced inflammation in rats.

Dilettante

An article in the Herald today valuing pet food maker Ziwi at potentially over $ 1billion, with annual sales of $ 50 million wiorth of air dried pet food. Lots of Chinese interest.
    Interesting valuation for us PAZ holders, even though not directly or completely related to us.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...LHD7NIKEGRO4I/ Paywalled

There's obviously good money in providing premium dog food to hungry Beagle's...just look how far down that dog food bowl his snout is !...but you've really got to love your dog a LOT to feed them this stuff Animates has a 4kg bag of Ziwi Peak Daily Dog Cuisine Chicken selling for $193.49 Oh my goodness that's over $48 a kilo...I really need to lift my game, I thought treating myself to rib eye steak at $35 a kilo was a special treat. Maybe I should try some of that dog food lol

Excerpt's He had no immediate comment on the price, but did confirm the deal is subject to Overseas Investment Office approval - implying it is somewhere north of the agency's $100 million threshold. My comments Nobody has confirmed the price The 1 Billion price tag appears to be nothing but speculation.

Sale rumours first emerged last October, when it was said Ziwi was on the block for around $400 million - Sounds more like it.

Ziwi, which sells primarily across Australia and New Zealand, but also has sales teams in the US and Asia, generates operating earnings of around $50m,
    Emphasis added. Operating earnings of $50m not sales of $50m.

Comment. Even if it sold for $1 Billion that's a PE of 20 for a very well established brand (Started in 2002...19 years building that pet food brand is quite a long journey), with very strong growth plans detailed elsewhere in the article and the pet food sector is absolutely white hot at present.

Only a small part of PAZ's business is pet food and this is only just emerging and is yet to be proven to be profitable and there are many many years of brand building ahead.

Last time I checked PAZ was on a PE of 53 on FY20 earnings, who knows what it is on FY21 earnings, if any, seeing as they won't even tell shareholders what the net loss was for the first half and are hiding the actual bottom line result under the auspices that they are still in discussions with the auditors about the accounting treatment of the convertible preference shares issued along with the costs associated with that issue...but said discussions have been going on since the annual meeting. Time for them to finally come clean and say they're "in dispute" with the auditors ?

Iceman a good guy so I am sure it was just an inadvertent error to call it $50m sales instead of $50m operating profit.

The 12,000 square metre kitchen will be approximately the size of four rugby fields and be capable of doubling Ziwi's production over its current three Tauranga sites, the MD said. Production set to double from mid 2022.
    Last edited by Beagle; 21-09-2021 at 07:51 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Thanks Beagle. Yes it was my bad saying sales of $50m. Should read it over better before I post it.
    But Business Desk reported on this sale last night and here is an excerpt :

"Ziwi shareholders have signed a sale and purchase agreement with private equity fund FountainVest Partners. “This positions Ziwi well for the future and provides strong additional support for the company’s ambitious growth plans,” the company said. The company declined to comment on the sale price but Bloomberg reported over the weekend that the deal with FountainVest Partners would value the company at about $1.5 billion."

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...LHD7NIKEGRO4I/ Paywalled

There's obviously good money in providing premium dog food to hungry Beagle's...just look how far down that dog food bowl his snout is !...but you've really got to love your dog a LOT to feed them this stuff Animates has a 4kg bag of Ziwi Peak Daily Dog Cuisine Chicken selling for $193.49 Oh my goodness that's over $48 a kilo...I really need to lift my game, I thought treating myself to rib eye steak at $35 a kilo was a special treat. Maybe I should try some of that dog food lol

Excerpt's He had no immediate comment on the price, but did confirm the deal is subject to Overseas Investment Office approval - implying it is somewhere north of the agency's $100 million threshold. My comments Nobody has confirmed the price The 1 Billion price tag appears to be nothing but speculation.

Sale rumours first emerged last October, when it was said Ziwi was on the block for around $400 million - Sounds more like it.

Ziwi, which sells primarily across Australia and New Zealand, but also has sales teams in the US and Asia, generates operating earnings of around $50m,
    Emphasis added. Operating earnings of $50m not sales of $50m.

Comment. Even if it sold for $1 Billion that's a PE of 20 for a very well established brand (Started in 2002...19 years building that pet food brand is quite a long journey), with very strong growth plans detailed elsewhere in the article and the pet food sector is absolutely white hot at present.

Only a small part of PAZ's business is pet food and this is only just emerging and is yet to be proven to be profitable and there are many many years of brand building ahead.

Last time I checked PAZ was on a PE of 53 on FY20 earnings, who knows what it is on FY21 earnings, if any, seeing as they won't even tell shareholders what the net loss was for the first half and are hiding the actual bottom line result under the auspices that they are still in discussions with the auditors about the accounting treatment of the convertible preference shares issued along with the costs associated with that issue...but said discussions have been going on since the annual meeting. Time for them to finally come clean and say they're "in dispute" with the auditors ?

Iceman a good guy so I am sure it was just an inadvertent error to call it $50m sales instead of $50m operating profit.

The 12,000 square metre kitchen will be approximately the size of four rugby fields and be capable of doubling Ziwi's production over its current three Tauranga sites, the MD said. Production set to double from mid 2022.
    Ziwi is an incredible success.
    As you noted extremely expensive product.
    Ziwi customers want the very best for their animals.
    Provence.Where the ingredients came from,who manufactured the product and where.
    Ziwi is produced in NZ using the very best NZ natural ingredients.[ANZO supply animal livers ,kidneys,hearts etc]
    Mostly freeze dried etc.
    All sounds very much what PAZ does.
    People who know Mark Stewart's history will not be surprised by Ziwi's success.
    Last edited by percy; 21-09-2021 at 08:30 PM.

Many claim that a dog becomes part of the family and I endorse that feeling 100% but I doubt many parents would give their kids treats that cost $48 a kilo so this Ziwi stuff is obviously next level !! Maybe owners think their dog's are better and more valuable than their kids...I couldn't agree more

P.S. I think its really sad that Ziwi is going to be sold overseas. Think about it, who wouldn't be keen to buy into a pet food business which a huge and growing brand name on a historical PE of 20 when they're about to double production from a massive new facility in less than 12 months time !
    I'd certainly put my hand up for a meaningful stake on those metrics and with that sort of growth imminent !

PAZ used to be on a PE of 20 and those that bought on that metric certainly have done extremely well.
    Last edited by Beagle; 22-09-2021 at 08:44 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Many claim that a dog becomes part of the family and I endorse that feeling 100% but I doubt many parents would give their kids treats that cost $48 a kilo so this Ziwi stuff is obviously next level !! Maybe owners think their dog's are better and more valuable than their kids...I couldn't agree more

P.S. I think its really sad that Ziwi is going to be sold overseas. Think about it, who wouldn't be keen to buy into a pet food business which a huge and growing brand name on a historical PE of 20 when they're about to double production from a massive new facility in less than 12 months time !
    I'd certainly put my hand up for a meaningful stake on those metrics and with that sort of growth imminent !

PAZ used to be on a PE of 20 and those that bought on that metric certainly have done extremely well.
    From what I heard from people within the industry and the sale price, likely on a PE of 30.

Clearly there are large demographics in various markets with the income and motivation to spend heavy on their pets. I am beyond asking what my wife spends on our pooch with the skin sensitive diet she is on. Big bag rolls up on the courier every 5 weeks.....

They haven't bought Ziwi just to do the status quo (buyers are private equity after all), and have the new factory coming online in Napier somethime soon. Have to remember that Ziwi been at it for a long time (like most overnight successes), had their ups and downs and expect have probably tipped a bit of money into it over the years.

There is alot of petfood companies that have been sold off to overseas interests - but Ziwi easily the biggest. Like K9 Natural (KKR) and Petfoods NZ, plus a few smaller ones. With K9 and Ziwi, they are buying the brands, and what is under this, along with the cashflow - wouldn't think a whole lot of tangible assets.

The positive aspect is that still looking to manufacture in NZ, and grow that business - which will take up more NZ raw material. Material that is currently exported to other markets, and loses that NZ identity, through the likes of Purina, Mars, Iams etc. Much of the traditional long-standing brands marketed in NZ have been overseas owned anyway, through Mars and Heinz.

PAZ is in another space, with treats. Would be difficult to do a large scale freeze-dried food, and treats a good place to start. I think has to be a brand in NZ in its own right, and not just a brand produced in NZ for China.

Even on a PE of 30 with production set to double in the very near future and all the economies of scale of that production being from one site...seems very attractive to me. Soon to be a PE of less than 15 by the sounds of things. Really wish they had floated that on the NZX.

Honestly I don't think much of the packaging of OCA's new treats range. Needs to be much more bright and colorful and have pictures of super colorful and cute dog(s) on there. Couple of tri coloured Beagle's would be a good idea. Beagle's are America's most popular dog. Choose the right breed for your marketing and you get an instant leg up with the attractiveness of the product in customers eyes but it MUST be bright colors with super attractive and cute pets on the packaging ! If your target market is China find out what the most popular breed is there and change your packaging accordingly. (Some great marketing advice provided free of charge to PAZ directors).
    Last edited by Beagle; 22-09-2021 at 02:52 PM.

Guru

Honestly I don't think much of the packaging of OCA's new treats range.
    Yeah great idea Beagle, put all the residents to work making treats for their favourite poochie!! Another income stream for OCA!

On a serious note, I've only seen what is here, but would definitely concur. Products | Department of Treats (do-treats.com)

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Yeah great idea Beagle, put all the residents to work making treats for their favourite poochie!! Another income stream for OCA!

On a serious note, I've only seen what is here, but would definitely concur. Products | Department of Treats (do-treats.com)
    Department of Treats products look super exciting.