sharetrader
Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Me (TME)

Guru

Lightbulb Trade Me (TME)

Fairfax considering selling Trade Me as it needs the cash, Fairfax shares have dropped from $7.00 in 2007 to $1.32 and rumour is that F needs to boost its proformance.

Legend

Yes, Whatsup, that's a fast way of getting some capital together. I think we all sat up when Sam Morgan and others did the deal with Fairfax, and thought "Why aren't we that smart?". But there was only room for one big player in the market, and they have it. Turns out Sam and Co set the business up with the idea of selling it off, they had that figured out early on. And Fairfax or someone like them had to buy, they were simply following the money. In this case, advertising revenue, and a cut on national sales. A bit like owning VISA.

Anyway, such a cleverly set up business, doing many small business-people and the public a power of good, I'd buy in anytime.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Yes, Whatsup, that's a fast way of getting some capital together. I think we all sat up when Sam Morgan and others did the deal with Fairfax, and thought "Why aren't we that smart?". But there was only room for one big player in the market, and they have it. Turns out Sam and Co set the business up with the idea of selling it off, they had that figured out early on. And Fairfax or someone like them had to buy, they were simply following the money. In this case, advertising revenue, and a cut on national sales. A bit like owning VISA.

Anyway, such a cleverly set up business, doing many small business-people and the public a power of good, I'd buy in anytime.
    Anytime? Not wanna know the deal first? They'll be counting on a lot of interest, so won't be needing to make it too generous.

Veteran novice

Yes, sounds promising but I'd need to look hard at it first, too.

The dot com scene moves so quickly that first mover advantage can't be counted on to last as long as it once did. EBay, Google etc aren't quite as gold-plated as they once were as the "next big thing" arrives.

Agree with Fungus - are you really dumb enough to say you'd be in when details haven't even been set on the table? One things for sure, they'll milk it for all they can get

Perhaps they'll auction it on Trade Me

they could take over NZX
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

percy

I would have thought Faifax would be better off selling their newspapers and keeping trade me.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I would have thought Faifax would be better off selling their newspapers and keeping trade me.
    Morgan Stanley say at least $1.5 billion
    http://www.interest.co.nz/news/51516...x-paid-it-2006

But then things have changed over the last few months ... Trade Me into new things .... and the world has gone mad on values

Packaged up as a NZ icon and plenty of og glossy brochures with pretty dolly birds plastered all over it and preferental allocation to Trade Me members (million plus? I reckon you would get $2 billion at least

Percy - you may be right about your comment - the article suggests that Trade Me is about half of Fairfax value.

Jeez if Firfax hock off Trade Me and try to start charging to view content (pay wall) they be dead in the water

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Jeez if Firfax hock off Trade Me and try to start charging to view content (pay wall) they be dead in the water
    Exactly,and quickly.!