sharetrader
Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Me (TME)

Antiquated & irrational t.rexjr's Avatar

I mentioned to a mid 20s that I had something listed on trade me and they replied "doesn't everyone use Facebook now"?

I have bought of Facebook but currently the platform is pretty average with no categories or reliable search option.

The Kid

Trademe will certainly face increasing competition from Amazon in the General Items category which comprised about 30% of revenue in 2016/17. However, the majority of Trademe's revenue comes from the Classifieds - Property, Motors and Jobs, all of which are growing nicely (especially Jobs). Will Amazon impact these sectors? I'm not so sure. The question is will the growth in these sectors (and others), out-weigh the (expected) decline in General Items? Trademe is not alone in facing disruption and increased competition, it's how they respond that will be key to their survival and growth. Time will tell I guess.

Disc. Holding

IMO

Yes thanks for that info IAK.
    S/P bottom is not in yet.

"Macdonald also points out that only 12 per cent of Trade Me's revenue comes from sales of new goods.
    And when it comes to competing with the likes of Amazon, he says a lot of items are not well suited to shipping overseas.
    Trade Me's fastest growing categories currently are building and renovation, and home and living. "A good proportion is better suited to local than international."

"We do have something that is real and unique to offer."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11922067

"And when it comes to competing with the likes of Amazon, he says a lot of items are not well suited to shipping overseas."

Thats a interesting comment to make, because I can buy the exact same item on Amazon as I can on Trademe, that I would call "fragile" so he saying we shouldnt buy items on Trademe that come from overseas sellers?...does that mean even the ones who sell on TM??

looks like he forgot to mention that a fair few listings on his own Trademe are from businesses..... overseas!!

Also,I've sent items from HB to Wellington that have been damaged in transit!...another one that took 4 weeks from HB to Palmy!!...damage in transit comes back to packaging and the handing, if both of those are good, the items safe if either one is not, damage may occur.

I'm not saying Amazon or Facebook will be the death of TM,just saying...
    Last edited by alliswell; 22-09-2017 at 08:11 AM.

IMO

Good feedback points , thanks. Ive personally never had a prob and deliveries have been quick. The only damage i had was many years ago when an NZ post deliverer tripped over on my steps and when i opened my package the fragile kauri gum was in pieces!

IMO

A broker thinks the risks re amazon etc are built in to s/p now with the s/p drop, (enjoyed the quick cum div I've been paid a few days back) .

"TME is now trading on a consensus forward price to earnings (PE) ratio of 18.3x and isat a ~30% discount to its Australian comparatives (Seek, Carsales.com, REA Group).With a below-market valuation, mid-single-digit earnings growth, a 6% gross yield,and a solid franchise (excluding new goods in Marketplce), TME remains anappropriate part of a balanced portfolio. "

Quote Originally Posted by t.rexjr View Post
    I mentioned to a mid 20s that I had something listed on trade me and they replied "doesn't everyone use Facebook now"?
    This is the reason I don't but tme. Shame.

IMO

TME has powered through the 60DMA on increasing vol last few days. apparently there is a broker/Insto buy , on it but i haven't seen it atp.
    Facebook sales are pretty pathetic in everyway imo, have you looked at the setup? So inferior and you are more exposed to timewasters and being ripped off having to deal in person etc. No contest.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 16-11-2017 at 06:50 PM.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    This is the reason I don't but tme. Shame.
    Dont be ashamed just watch the missed opportunity.$5 looks close with TME recovering well from the over reaction to amazon facebook et al. I ate well. .Getting harder to find value on the NZX now