sharetrader
Page 35 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Me (TME)

Veteran novice

Its probably a better business than even AIA
    Really?

TME's business model is open to copying/bettering as technology changes. It'll be a long time before anyone replicates AIA's position as the premier gateway to NZ.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Really?

TME's business model is open to copying/bettering as technology changes. It'll be a long time before anyone replicates AIA's position as the premier gateway to NZ.
    you can copy the website but their strength is in the size of their customer base.

True H S

I see wheedle is closing down - did not last long after a few splutters at the start
    When there is nothing really else like TM in NZ, people have joined, numbers have grown.
    IMHO, Harder to get them to change, a bit of a catch 22 - not enough buyers/sellers so I won't bother unless there is some real point of difference.

Mod,

I recommend listening to the half year analyst briefing(if you haven't already)
    http://www.media-server.com/m/p/i4pdjxb4

noodles
    No advice here. Just banter. DYOR

Quote Originally Posted by The BOWMAN View Post
    The issue with TME is not real estate listing. It is the lack of innovation.
    I think also it is the size of the trader base in NZ willing to use TME. For instance I recently needed to upgrade my laptop's SSD hard drive. It's a few years old and I couldn't get what I wanted retail. I found exactly what I wanted on Ebay with a Chinese guy running a business in China selling components. He actually got in touch with me and apologised the shipping was so slow. I was really impressed. The component arrived and worked fine and only cost me $100 US.

ANyway, Ebay has a lot of international traders using it as a market portal, wheras TME just offers the NZ market. Maybe they need to think a bit more outside NZ.

the competitive advantage, moat, or barrier to entry that exists for trademe is called the network effect and its powerful. Wheedle was well backed, $10m down the drain.

As to eBay/Amazon - that's fine and I expect more and more people will use the international sites to buy things. That doesn't mean TradeMe classifieds can't continue to grow at a slow rate (which is all I expect - in fact I assume just 1% revenue growth per year for classifieds). Your not likely to want to pay shipping on lower value items, not are you likely to order a lawnmower or buy 2nd hand farm bike from China. As to the number of desktop users - the majority of site visits are now on mobile/tablet, which partly explains the falling time on site (per average visit). The classifieds business is mature - we all know that already..

Below 350 and nearly the price it was a few months after the IPO

Surely it cant go down to the IPO price of 270 (first day was nearly 300)

Seems to have been a long steady ride up to 520 and just as long steady ride down to 345

Doesn't seem to be any reason to say it has stopped going down yet .....but I'll keep watching in case

After failing to get a useful ipo allocation, i found it hard to build a holding in TME, and not long ago changed tack to reduce instead of build. Much later than i should have, it was just too seductive dreaming about the hitech future. However after again reading recent discussions above, realized i now share the negative outlook, (in part confirmed by news this week of their backdown on real-estate marketing confirming imho as per some of the critics above), i've now decided to dump it while my overall numbers are still positive. Phaedrian principles still apply ! Some things get to a stage where i feel they are more trouble than they are worth.

I should like to thank many of the contributors to this discussion thread who have helped me to understand this stock.
    I can even see a possibility of buying back in again, & i'm already trying to imagine what a new entry trigger price might be ...

Simple chart below says it all about TME in its time since listing

Seems to support everything that modandm and rgr367 have recently said about the company

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Simple chart below says it all about TME in its time since listing

Seems to support everything that modandm and rgr367 have recently said about the company
    I think you guys have got me wrong. I am BUYING while people like sharer capitulate to what I believe a transitory and short term setbacks.

The market is myopic, I am taking advantage of that and getting into a high quality, predictable, steady growth, high yield, low debt, high margin, high free cash flow, well managed company at what I think is an attractive valuation. I think they have numerous growth opportunities to pursue including price comparison, and add on services to existing businesses. On top of that its existing businesses are under penetrated relative to Australia and the UK, while continued growth of the internet/smartphones will support secular GDP+ growth.

I don't use charts to make investment decisions, and I invest with a 5 year view.