sharetrader
Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Me (TME)

(of course one could always get that idiot Phaedrus to draw a chart of TradeMe and solve your problems ;-) ).[/QUOTE]

Being always in a learning phase, I have enough trouble wading through some of the extremely well thought out posts on ST, without having to be distracted by the growing number of negative remarks in recent times. Phaedrus was an excellent and patient teacher, evidenced by reading his many intelligent posts. He deserved the title Guru. A literal translation of Guru would be mentor, teacher or master. Phaedrus fitted that translation admirably.

It would be a great shame to see top posters leave the forum because of this growing element I see as unpleasant, as no doubt others do.

And for the record, I have no interest in Trade Me, believing it wont go far, but I look at any thread which has posters I admire.

Holey moley, the Major has had a brain explosion - Phaedrus is one of the top contributors to this thread over many years

wash your mouth out with soap and water

I am far from being in love with Trade Me. I think its best days are in the past.

I just think a quality company coming to market with a "so-so" valuation that gets greeted with pessimism often ends up surprising in the first year.

I believe Trade Me will be a good investment for 12 months. After that...probably not.

I noticed the brokers and institutions were mainly negative...whilst bidding for 3 times as much stock than is available.

I suspect people will be talking negative for months. At the same time, I believe it will be going up.
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger_Danger View Post
    I am far from being in love with Trade Me. I think its best days are in the past.

I just think a quality company coming to market with a "so-so" valuation that gets greeted with pessimism often ends up surprising in the first year.

I believe Trade Me will be a good investment for 12 months. After that...probably not.

I noticed the brokers and institutions were mainly negative...whilst bidding for 3 times as much stock than is available.

I suspect people will be talking negative for months. At the same time, I believe it will be going up.

Very good post stranger Danger.I think you have hit the nail right on the head.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by karen1 View Post
    (of course one could always get that idiot Phaedrus to draw a chart of TradeMe and solve your problems ;-) ).
    Being always in a learning phase, I have enough trouble wading through some of the extremely well thought out posts on ST, without having to be distracted by the growing number of negative remarks in recent times. Phaedrus was an excellent and patient teacher, evidenced by reading his many intelligent posts. He deserved the title Guru. A literal translation of Guru would be mentor, teacher or master. Phaedrus fitted that translation admirably.

It would be a great shame to see top posters leave the forum because of this growing element I see as unpleasant, as no doubt others do.

And for the record, I have no interest in Trade Me, believing it wont go far, but I look at any thread which has posters I admire.[/QUOTE]

Excellent post Karen1.Always interesting to read poster's who have given the subject some thought.

Ok, lets spell it out plainly.

There have been discussions about the place, if any, in share investment of what is called charting.

I have been to a reasonably advanced university level in pure maths, advanced statistics and econometrics, charting as you know it was not deemed to have any merit worth studying nor am I aware of it as a university course in more than an odd isolated case perhaps.

Charting starts from a static position and makes various analyses none of which are useful in a dynamic market of myriad factors and constantly developing news and related variables. Charting is absolutely pointless for predicting the future except in a totally static situation, maybe the Q'ing dynasty in China and even there you had multiple unpredictable weather variations and diseases.

I am not aware of anyone becoming a multi-millionaire through charting as they should have if its claims were true.
    Buffett et al are on record as saying they don't use charting. The banks, finance and investment houses don't use it.

Charting is analogous to alternative medicine and to astrology vs astronomy.

When challenged chartists always refuse to make a share prediction that can be quantified. But they always develop, in retrospect, 20 20 vision as to why something happened although they could never discuss it in advance.

Hence I become rather irritated when I see a share topic under the heading "Contact Energy chart", although when you read such threads you see that over time none of the useful discussion is chart based.

So, I reserve my right, nay my duty, to shoot holes in any chart based analysis and any "gurus" attempting to practise the black art in what should be a rational society.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post

There have been discussions about the place, if any, in share investment of what is called charting.

I have been to a reasonably advanced university level in pure maths, advanced statistics and econometrics, charting as you know it was not deemed to have any merit worth studying nor am I aware of it as a university course in more than an odd isolated case perhaps.

Charting starts from a static position and makes various analyses none of which are useful in a dynamic market of myriad factors and constantly developing news and related variables. Charting is absolutely pointless for predicting the future except in a totally static situation, maybe the Q'ing dynasty in China and even there you had multiple unpredictable weather variations and diseases.

I am not aware of anyone becoming a multi-millionaire through charting as they should have if its claims were true.
    Buffett et al are on record as saying they don't use charting. The banks, finance and investment houses don't use it.

When challenged chartists always refuse to make a share prediction that can be quantified. But they always develop, in retrospect, 20 20 vision as to why something happened although they could never discuss it in advance.

Hence I become rather irritated when I see a share topic under the heading "Contact Energy chart", although when you read such threads you see that over time none of the useful discussion is chart based.

So, I reserve my right, nay my duty, to shoot holes in any chart based analysis and any "gurus" attempting to practise the black art in what should be a rational society.

Thank you for your post Major.I still object to you calling Phaedrus an idiot.Charting is a useful sharemarket tool.Phaedrus went past that,and freely gave good natured,friendly,sauge advice, and commentaries,which were always on the button.I really miss his posts.

Guru

Unfortunately I have a liberal point of view that everyone is entitled to their opinion...but please MVT don't resurrect this very old chesnut TA v FA...argument here. It's well off topic on this thread.
    If you really have an itch to write bad comments about TA, please do it on the appropriate thread.
    try http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...n-Old-Argument.
    Last edited by Hoop; 16-11-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: ooops..changed untitled to entitled :>)

Thank you Major.

Whether a chart, dart, in depth or superficial analysis, or whatever else, a well structured criticism of a method used in the arena of shares will no doubt be a useful tool to someone, in fact you mention none of the useful discussion is chart based, which suggests that a chart may engender positive discussion, surely a good thing.

Charting is not something I follow, but it never stopped me reading Phaedrus’ well intentioned posts, as some of his comments were of great value to me. My objection to the use of the word idiot in connection to him was simply that I felt it was undeserved, as undeniably he was well thought of here, and as he no longer posts here is not in a position to defend your attack on him.

Phaedrus’ title of Guru – whichever way you look at it, he helped many to better understand the share market, willingly and patiently. His title could have been anything, it wouldn’t alter what he did.

I believe I am a reasonably well educated, rational member of society, and, like you, defend my right to comment here on something which I consider distasteful, that is the name calling.

Let us all on ST rise above our politicians, who on any given day can be heard to resort to the pettiness of name calling. And I am not singling you out, Major.

I look forward to reading many more educated and helpful posts here.

Tyre Kicker

rational society.
    Thanks for confirming that higher education is a complete waste of time. You may also look at investing in some specs. Next time the media interview bank economists, take a look around the room they use. They sure ain't toy trains on them screens.
    chippy52