sharetrader
Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Me (TME)

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by karen1 View Post
    Thank you Major.

Whether a chart, dart, in depth or superficial analysis, or whatever else, a well structured criticism of a method used in the arena of shares will no doubt be a useful tool to someone, in fact you mention none of the useful discussion is chart based, which suggests that a chart may engender positive discussion, surely a good thing.

Charting is not something I follow, but it never stopped me reading Phaedrus’ well intentioned posts, as some of his comments were of great value to me. My objection to the use of the word idiot in connection to him was simply that I felt it was undeserved, as undeniably he was well thought of here, and as he no longer posts here is not in a position to defend your attack on him.

Phaedrus’ title of Guru – whichever way you look at it, he helped many to better understand the share market, willingly and patiently. His title could have been anything, it wouldn’t alter what he did.

I believe I am a reasonably well educated, rational member of society, and, like you, defend my right to comment here on something which I consider distasteful, that is the name calling.

Let us all on ST rise above our politicians, who on any given day can be heard to resort to the pettiness of name calling. And I am not singling you out, Major.

I look forward to reading many more educated and helpful posts here.
    Well-called!

Perhaps there was a time when momentum trading wasn't a part of the big-boys strategy. However, it certainly must be now. Algorithmic trading is hardly a "fundamentals-based" strategy for starters.

Has any one received application forms to purchase the Trade Me IPO (not the register of interest)? I heard ASB securities was meant to come out today but have not seen anything. I also heard ASB Securties is meant to be first in first served so don’t want to miss the boat.
    You make your own luck.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    Has any one received application forms to purchase the Trade Me IPO (not the register of interest)? I heard ASB securities was meant to come out today but have not seen anything. I also heard ASB Securties is meant to be first in first served so don’t want to miss the boat.
    Got mine emailed from ASB yesterday. Might have to send an email soon if first in first served.

Probably only go for a smallish amount to avoid heavy scaling.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

How does "first in first served", but "be prepared for scaling" work? So first in isn't first served.......

I'm out, can't be bothered with all this palava

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Xerof View Post
    How does "first in first served", but "be prepared for scaling" work? So first in isn't first served.......

I'm out, can't be bothered with all this palava
    Can you contact your broker and ask for a "firm allocation."

No mate, I don't have a broker - I trust my judgement, and I'm a cheapskate, I use internet brokers to transact. That is one of the downsides I guess, but my point was in all this: I get an email from ASB saying as "a valued client" blah blah.......so I respond expressing an interest in 20k shares, to which they respond: here's the application form, first in first served, but there may be scaling.

that doesn't make any sense to me......

If I was really keen on it, maybe I'd persevere, but I was only ever luke warm; its fully priced at the top of the expected range; and the peoples' whose judgement I respect reckon its a pass at 2.70.

Time will tell, I would think there's a bit of a stag in it but just not for me to be bothered chasing thanks

The scaling clause will be to cover the butts in the event that they get to many applications on a given day.
    You make your own luck.

Default trade me

Hey guys,
    Any new thinking on this before the cutoff time. My thinking is that there are far better medium/long term investments out there - even on the nzx - but I'm pretty certain that they will perform well over the first few months at least, mostly due to the oversubscriptions and the media interest that will occur.
    Any thoughts?
    Another topic: A colleague of mine reckons he heard that ird will try to hit those that sell shares in the first few days of listing with a capital gains tax. Anyone think this is practical, or even legally correct?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ravjjay View Post
    Another topic: A colleague of mine reckons he heard that ird will try to hit those that sell shares in the first few days of listing with a capital gains tax. Anyone think this is practical, or even legally correct?
    Cheers
    Shouldn't this be the case anyway? Aren't we all supposed to be paying tax on shares we buy with the intention of selling at a profit (as opposed to a long term hold)?

I bet the IRD wont be following up if the price drops.
    You make your own luck.