sharetrader
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vaygor1 View Post
    If you borrow money and buy shares with it then the interest off the borrowings is deductible off the dividend income you received from those shares bought.

It follows that you could not have bought them without the loan so the interest is a direct expense incurred as a result of owning the shares that provide the income stream.

ASB Sec's interest rate is a fixed level above the OCR (Official Cash Rate) as far as I'm aware.
    Other rates/Fees are here:
    https://www.asbsecurities.co.nz/section253.asp

A list of shares you can margin lend against (and their ratios) for ASB is here:
    https://www.asbsecurities.co.nz/section55.asp

A list of shares you can margin lend against (and their ratios) for Forsyth Barr (through their vehicle 'Leveraged Equities Finance Limited') is here:
    http://www.leveragedequities.co.nz/M...ing-Ratio.aspx

I hope this helps.
    Ihave borrowed to buy shares -unfortunately a lot was for nzog just before the crash-using asb margin lending-they advised me to diversify more-which i did but not fast enough-so either had to sell at a big loss or mortgage my house-so mortgaged the house.Am now regaining ground as asb rate for me is 6% and average gross retuns via dividends are over 10%
    .If i was starting again i would use asb-act promply on their advice and only buy shares which have low risk and high dividends-chorus is an obvious one that is low risk-also cen and tel

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Ihave borrowed to buy shares -unfortunately a lot was for nzog just before the crash-using asb margin lending-they advised me to diversify more-which i did but not fast enough-so either had to sell at a big loss or mortgage my house-so mortgaged the house.Am now regaining ground as asb rate for me is 6% and average gross retuns via dividends are over 10%
    .If i was starting again i would use asb-act promply on their advice and only buy shares which have low risk and high dividends-chorus is an obvious one that is low risk-also cen and tel
    the mortgage is now tax deductible as taken out and used for the sole purpose of buying shares to return a profit.

the mortgage is now tax deductible as taken out and used for the sole purpose of buying shares to return a profit.
    Makes sense to me Fish. You have incurred an interest-bearing debt in order to buy (or in your case, retain) your current shareholding. The dividend stream would not be possible if it weren't for the loan therefore the interest should be tax deductible off the resulting income (i.e. dividends).

Sorry to hear your story re NZOG. Margin Lending can be cruel if you either run too close to the limit or the share-price plummets. I have been lucky I suppose and I rarely exceed 30% of my margin lending limit at any time. I trust NZOG will come back for you so you can break even on all of this. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Vaygor1; 17-01-2013 at 05:08 AM.