sharetrader
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

i've been looking into margin lending from ASB and this thread has been helpful.

So the way I see it, I can borrow a certain amount based on shares already in my portfolio, and can buy more shares with this borrowed money.
    Then I'm charged interest monthly (can't find the interest rate online, but I assume it's not outrageous) on what I've borrowed.
    I'm also charged $250 per year for the service.

So all I have to do then is to make the borrowed money work for me to cover the interest and the fee, and I keep whatever extra profit I'll hopefully make?

Is there anything else I need to know?

Ok so 3 months later and I'm in interested in how its going and if you have discovered any pitfalls. thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by castelinop View Post
    Agreed with what you have to say CJ. I do know that using borrowed money I have to be smart and do my research well. I do have a decent enough job that can cover my interest expenses regularly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Blendy View Post
    Then I'm charged interest monthly (can't find the interest rate online, but I assume it's not outrageous) on what I've borrowed.
    I'm also charged $250 per year for the service.
    Interest rate is about 0.25% above home floating I think - you need to call to get it. The $250 gets waived if you borrow enough (ie. interest over $400 I think)
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Current interest rate is 6.2%. So thats .45% above the floating rate.
    You make your own luck.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    Current interest rate is 6.2%. So thats .45% above the floating rate.
    Just checked and you are correct (it must be on average .5% above).

Given you can get discounts for a home loan (I currently have a 5.5% floating) the margin is higher still.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Would this margin lending be suitable for stocks that operate as a PIE. Such as ARG, KIP, GMT.

All good dividend earners, and you could claim the interst back against them, effectively giving you a very low interest rate. Or am i missing something?

Also is still possible to keep stocks in a DRP once you are using margin lending?

Quote Originally Posted by Stylerz View Post
    Would this margin lending be suitable for stocks that operate as a PIE. Such as ARG, KIP, GMT.

All good dividend earners, and you could claim the interst back against them, effectively giving you a very low interest rate. Or am i missing something?

Also is still possible to keep stocks in a DRP once you are using margin lending?
    No your not missing anything.
    Don't know about the DRP.
    The margin rate is floating so will likely increase in the future.
    You make your own luck.

I use ASB margin lending and invest in the listed property sector. No issues with claiming interest.

New shares/units issued under the DRPs are added to my nominee holding each quarter.

Thanks for your replies, have been thinking about this for awhile.

I like the idea of keeping at least a percentage of the shares in the DRP.

Going to have a go at this, in the upcoming year.

I have currently 70K worth of shares in the listed property sector, and looking to leverage it to 100K
    A salary of 60K per year, and a part time business generating 10K per year.
    Fixed interst of about 2K per year
    Have a basic understanding how the tax situation will work but need a little more info.
    So at the end of the financial year, do i collectively take my combined income salary, business, and fixed interest, and subtract the margin lending interest off this total, and calculate how much tax i can claim back off that total.
    Then with the tax refund i can buy more shares and look to possibly leverage a agin in the following year.

Or do i need to include the PIE dividends, i have received over the year in this total to. My understanding is i dont have to include PIE dividends in my tax return as they have been taxed at source.

Can someone pleas put me on the right track if i have wrong.