sharetrader
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Why anyone bother with Fisher Funds has been a mystery (given the track record) but it simply reinforces the old adage that 'fools are born every minute' and there are some who will not hesitate to take advantage of them?

Simply put your money into a quality stock like AIA and let the directors and management work really hard for you.

Since 2004 (10 years), KFL has put on 36% plus dividends.

In that time, AIA has put on 145% plus dividends.

Guess how much management & performance fees have been extracted out of KFL over that period?

Heads, they win management fees plus performance fees; tails they win management fees - and still sip $1,000 a bottle champagne on a balcony overlooking the Eiffel Tower.
    Last edited by Balance; 20-11-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Balance, as one of your "fools". I hold shares in KFL.
    My reason is to provide a ready source of liquidity with a return better than the banks. I sell them to buy other stocks when a buying opportunity comes along.
    The reasonable yield, quarterly dividends and relatively stable (to NZX) price, means that to me there appears less chance of having to wait for a selling opportunity than would be the case with a more one dimensional stock like AIA.
    Given your opinion and my holding reasons, what would you recommend as better stocks to meet my purposes?
    Last edited by McGyro; 20-11-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Guru

I'm not arguing with Balance re fees etc. But unlike Barramundi it is trading at NTA, and I've returned 72%+ over <3 years. Sure there are probably better performing shares but bought as a proxy for the market, has a DRP and better returning than LPTs or term deposits. Not a long term hold or something to fall in love with, but done ok (without knowing what the market as a whole has done during this time).

Quote Originally Posted by McGyro View Post
    Balance, as one of your "fools". I hold shares in KFL.
    My reason is to provide a ready source of liquidity with a return better than the banks. I sell them to buy other stocks when a buying opportunity comes along.
    The reasonable yield, quarterly dividends and relatively stable (to NZX) price, means that to me there appears less chance of having to wait for a selling opportunity than would be the case with a more one dimensional stock like AIA.
    Given your opinion and my holding reasons, what would you recommend as better stocks to meet my purposes?
    Words fail me!

AIA one dimensional?

It is a play on the air travel/tourism/retail sectors, and a real estate play as well! You are getting fantastic exposures to several growth sectors - with underlying monopolistic earnings!

If I want the type of exposure you are looking for, I would invest in the LPTs - good liquidity, tax free dividends and DRP.
    Last edited by Balance; 20-11-2014 at 09:22 PM.

GMT or HNZ are great high divvy yield stocks with good liquidity, very low beta, (volatility), and make a great place to park money while you look for other better opportunities, if you can find better ones

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    GMT or HNZ are great high divvy yield stocks with good liquidity, very low beta, (volatility), and make a great place to park money while you look for other better opportunities, if you can find better ones
    Yes Roger..
    I am a long standing holder of LPT"s and they have served me very well indeed.
    IMO.. Gmt and Arg are the best buy a present (LPT's that is)
    I have been using the divvy's to buy into MLN mainly.
    MLN is buying up in the States big time and of course things are moving along there.
    BRM... is worth watching. Aussie will climb back in time so BRM could have a nice cap gain.
    and if you are in at about 64 (or so) cents the divvy could be great. But will take time.
    eg I bought Arg a ways back when they were sub 70c. I dont wanna hard to sell now.
    KFL... are trading around NTA now so could be a better buy about june 2015.
    cheers BB
    Dont 4get they are all PIE's

In light of comments that AIA and some of the property shares may be a better investment for my short term liquidity purposes, I tried a little research. AIA, GMT and HNZ all have higher beta values and lower yields than KFL (according to Financial Times). A little wary of property at present given the recent rapid Auckland price rises. I dont have time to learn about LPTs at present.
    So KFL still looks to me the best bet for my purposes.
    Given the exasperation of Balance it would appear there is something fairly major that I haven't taken into account. What is it?

In light of comments that AIA and some of the property shares may be a better investment for my short term liquidity purposes, I tried a little research. AIA, GMT and HNZ all have higher beta values and lower yields than KFL (according to Financial Times). A little wary of property at present given the recent rapid Auckland price rises. I dont have time to learn about LPTs at present.
    So KFL still looks to me the best bet for my purposes.
    Given the exasperation of Balance it would appear there is something fairly major that I haven't taken into account. What is it?
    Stick with KFL - Carmel Fisher loves investors like you.

IMO..............
    KFL are about close too or a little above fair value at the moment (138 cents) but even then they are coming in at about 7.69% PIE Div. They will do a bit a surge as they are coming to their QTR payment and will then drop back somewhat. whether you buy now and collect the div or wait a bit for a cheaper price down the track is up to you.
    There Div is based on a averaged NTA over a period (you can read in their splurb) and the NZX is moving downhill at the moment ( some say shares have peaked ).
    If you feel NZ shares are in slow decline then hold for a bit, else get in now. Do your own sums and research.
    Quote "Given the exasperation of Balance it would appear there is something fairly major that I haven't taken into account. What is it" unquote.
    ........BALANCE.........
    cheers BB

Guru

I
    There is no evidence on this board that Balance actually owns any shares. I assume this is because no one is up to his standard to run any NZ company. In the mean time we keep making money.