sharetrader
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Well HBL is trying my patience. Great day on the maket today with my portfolio now sitting on a 28% increase for the year. That includes the 9.7% loss I am carrying on HBL - my only loss maker. So its not only the HBL loss I am suffering - its also the opportunity cost. Oh well. Only 4 more cents to fall off and my stop loss is triggered
    I'm at 27.3% increase and 1.4% loss on HBL as of tonight, had a nice drink of some home made lemon liqueur(Vodka based)to celebrate, I'll have another shot on your behalf.
    Last edited by couta1; 21-06-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I have been spending a great deal of time looking for homes, for the proceeds from the sale of our previous house.
    Not easy.Still a work in progress.
    Dare not add to our HBL or TRA holdings.TRA is the only share on the NZ market I can find where the PE ratio is lower than their growth rate.
    So far MEL and GNE look suspects because of their yields.Other possibilities are AIR,OCA,and SPK.
    Companies must be paying a reasonable dive, and have the capacity to increase it.
    SUM - depends upon your definition of a reasonable dividend but I have them on a forward underlying PE of 17 with a CAGR of 45% per annum over the last 6 years ! This year I still expect growth of 20-25%. That said I share the general thrust of what you're saying, its pretty to find value especially now the NZX50 is over 9000 !. GNE after the last 2 days they have dropped about 8 cents to $2.42 and there may be a little value there or maybe look at AIR where analysts on 4traders expecting increasing divvies over the years ahead. FWIW I also have a modest stake in MEL.
    I hold some GNE and bought a very modest extra parcel of AIR today.

I'm slightly underwater on my recent reentry into HBL and my policy is not to add to losing positions and there are no exceptions to that rule ! Averaging down is for people with better blood pressure than me LOL
    Last edited by Beagle; 21-06-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    I'm at 27.3% increase and 1.4% loss on HBL as of tonight, had a nice drink of some home made lemon liqueur(Vodka based)to celebrate, I'll have another shot on your behalf.
    Out of interest when you and mini talk about "increase for the year", is that last 12 months, so far this calendar year, so far this financial year or ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Out of interest when you and mini talk about "increase for the year", is that last 12 months, so far this calendar year, so far this financial year or ?
    For me it's over around 8 months as I must include HLG which I bought in October 2017 and which adds a portion to that % increase, the rest comes from this calendar year.

Dilettante

Thanks Couta and well done

For me it's since 1 Jan 2018

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    I celebrated today's gains by going out and buying some trail shoes, going for a run and then opening a bottle of wine. Life in balance I reckon

Isnt it interesting how Couta and Beagle have completely opposite strategies.

And as a comment its not usually a good idea to broadcast your stop loss level Minimoke
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Isnt it interesting how Couta and Beagle have completely opposite strategies.

And as a comment its not usually a good idea to broadcast your stop loss level Minimoke
    Maybe he did it well after he opened that bottle of wine so must be forgiven :-)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    ...... and my policy is not to add to losing positions and there are no exceptions to that rule ! Averaging down is for people with better blood pressure than me LOL
    Depends on how confident you are about a company and how big a buy you need to make to average down in a meaningful way. Recently bought quite a few NZR @ 230 and sold most a week or so ago at 252. My target portfolio quantity now has the right cost. Yes, my initial entry was way to high. But you have got to have confidence in the stock and know that your average down purchase is low enough. I generally put in a low order and forget about it. Mostly a nice surprise when it’s filled. You also need to be prepared to have a bigger portion in your portfolio should the price not recover as fast as desired. So it helps if it pays an ok dividend while you wait.