sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    I need to get back to investing like I ski.
    Must be different from me. I tend to take a slow steady way to the top. Maybe with a bit of a change in track along the way. And then its a hell for leather descent until I quickly end up right back down the bottom again.

Guru

Just got a letter from them telling me they are closing their Takapuna branch. All to be done by phone and internet from now on. If only they would improve their hopeless app.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Vaygor1 View Post
    I think HBL are a good company to have ownership in and have been thinking seriously about investing in them quite recently.

The one big disturbing factor that is stopping me in my tracks is Oracle.
    I have worked for extensive periods in two companies that used it, and in my most humble of opinion it is a complete and utter sack of sh!t.

Systems like these can make or break companies. Jade nearly broke The Warehouse.

I have personally seen millions and millions being poured into Oracle year after year by the two companies I used to work for that used it. One of them finally cut their massive losses and threw the whole lot in the bin (as The Warehouse did with Jade) and started again. The other one, I don't know if they still use it or not.

Disadvantages:
    Slooooooooow
    Unreliable
    Super user-unfriendly
    Super duper expensive to implement
    Super duper duper expensive to maintain.

Advantages:
    None I can think of.

Maybe Oracle has improved from those times, but I can't bring myself to buy into HBL while they're using it.
    I heard about the trouble & cost of this new system of HBL's long before I found out it was Oracle.... and when I found out, it all fell into place.
    Wow, thanks for that Vaygor, just what no one wanted to hear, an inconvenient truth! And yes it could be a major flaw, a brake to the downside if it still is a crock. We need to know more about this from the company.The truth.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 20-09-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vaygor1 View Post
    I think HBL are a good company to have ownership in.....
    .....Maybe Oracle has improved from those times, but I can't bring myself to buy into HBL while they're using it.
    I heard about the trouble & cost of this new system of HBL's long before I found out it was Oracle.... and when I found out, it all fell into place.
    I always fractionalise my term deposits so as to have staggered maturity dates. Unfortunately Heartland has a limit of ten term deposits. If you want more you need to have a separate head account with a new head account number. It is certainly a disincentive (for me) to add funds with Heartland. Would that be an Oracle database limitation or some other factor?

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Wow, thanks for that Vaygor, just what no one wanted to hear, an inconvenient truth! And yes it could be a major flaw, a brake to the downside if it still is a crock. We need to know more about this from the company.The truth.
    I have been to two presentations where Jeff Greenslade spoke of the issues they had with the new system.
    Two months of hell.
    However the key word was "had".
    Now the systm is giving them the opportunity to do more of what they want to do.
    Sounds to me as though "all is now well" with the Oracle system .
    Hopefully any new system update is years away.
    Something must be working just fine to achieve the huge growth in Aussie REL business.
    [Maybe the phone.?]..lol.
    Last edited by percy; 20-09-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Just got a letter from them telling me they are closing their Takapuna branch. All to be done by phone and internet from now on. If only they would improve their hopeless app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    I like Vaygor1 and have no reason to disbelieve him but I'm satisfied with the past tense reference direct from the horses mouth as posted by Percy below. I have had absolutely no issues with my call account with Heartland since opening it last year, really enjoying the special (for some customers) 3.0% call account return

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I have been to two presentations where Jeff Greenslade spoke of the issues they had with the new system.
    Two months of hell.
    However the key word was "had".
    Now the systm is giving them the opportunity to do more of what they want to do.
    Sounds to me as though "all is now well" with the Oracle system .
    Hopefully any new system update is years away.
    Onward and upward eh Percy.
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-09-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Onward and upward eh Percy.
    Maybe HBL's phones still work.?...………..lol.
    Yes it will certainly be an interesting year or two ahead of us.
    I am pleased they are "going for" the Australian opportunities with shareholders backing.
    Last edited by percy; 20-09-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I always fractionalise my term deposits so as to have staggered maturity dates. Unfortunately Heartland has a limit of ten term deposits. If you want more you need to have a separate head account with a new head account number. It is certainly a disincentive (for me) to add funds with Heartland. Would that be an Oracle database limitation or some other factor?
    Highly unlikely
    Oracle is a enterprise software provider meaning it can deal with Very Large numbers.

I agree Vaygor it is complex and costly to run Oracle systems. But its all in the detail.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

IMO

I really hope as a shareholder it doesn't keep "teething" on us and that the $22 million spent on it proves its worth.Could be more clarity and detail clarifying its really fixed and not patched imo.

"Teething" problems after Oracle roll-out cost Heartland Bank ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    if you can have 10 I can see why you cant have at least 99 accounts. So it cant be a numbers thing. eg "Head Account Number - 99"

Maybe anti- money laundering or something like that. To encourage people to keep money under closer control.