sharetrader
Page 1003 of 1731 FirstFirst ... 3503903953993999100010011002100310041005100610071013105311031503 ... LastLast
Results 10,021 to 10,030 of 17302

consider this for a mo:
    ‘A father and son are in a car crash that kills the dad. The son is rushed to hospital; just as he’s about to go under the knife, the surgeon says, “I can’t operate – that boy is my son!”’ Who is the surgeon?

So you're saying a mother isn't good enough to be a surgeon? =)

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Deej5 View Post
    consider this for a mo:
    ‘A father and son are in a car crash that kills the dad. The son is rushed to hospital; just as he’s about to go under the knife, the surgeon says, “I can’t operate – that boy is my son!”’ Who is the surgeon?

So you're saying a mother isn't good enough to be a surgeon? =)
    Apologises.trying to do too many things at once..

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Apologises.trying to do too many things at once..
    You're forgiven Percy. But now I hope you understand unconscious bias
    In a truly diverse world, some people might have said the boy's other father

Quote Originally Posted by suse View Post
    Diversity is the new buzzword at the mo, no doubt about it. I agree that the only progress required is the hiring of competent people regardless of blah blah blah. However it is reasonably well recognised that unconscious bias may play a part in hiring and preventing people in achieving their true potential.
    It is not a company's responsibility to help a person achieve their true potential, The company responsibility is to realise the full potential of their product / service for maximum profitable return to the owners of that company.

In your statement re the big risk, I hope what you actually meant to say here is "anyone" rather than "women".
    Put whatever diversity label into the brackets. I'm not picking on women.
    We've only got to look around us to see a bunch of old white men in suits doing substandard jobs in some cases.
    Lets be honest. There are heaps of folks regardles of age or gender doing substandard jobs. What about young white mails like Derek Hendley. Or old White Women like Jenny shipley.

And lets get real, women are being successful in business as well as running a family. Just how often does dad take time off work to stay home and care for the kids when they are sick.
    Oh well, I'm one you cant include in your anecdotal statistic

You are clearly not a millennial (neither am I by the way).... they seem to care about this stuff a lot more
    That is highly offensive to all those other demographics who care. There is an argument millennials mainly care about themselves.

A diverse, happy, talented group of people working together to make me money, that's what I want.
    Skilled and competent are at the top of my list.

consider this for a mo:
    After only a moment I reckon its the sons dead gay dads husband. But I am left wondering why he cant operate.
    Last edited by minimoke; 21-11-2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spellinh

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    No. It is a backward step and should be ringing alarm bells. The only progress required is the hiring of competent people regardless of sex, race religious beliefs LGBTQIAYHYZ (lets just keep chucking letters onto it) status or whatever is lacking in "diversity"

The big risk when talking like this is hiring (women) beyond their level of ability - that is, promoting to highest level of incompetence.

Much more talk of "diversity" will see me selling HBL, probably at a loss. This talk distracts from their main responsibility which is making me (and you) money.
    http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/0...s-forecasthtml

This talk of diversity is becoming an obsession, I couldn't agree more with you but can't help adding my 3 cents worth. Printing part of the annual report in Maori is something to the best of my knowledge that only one company has ever done. Now they are talking about a major cultural overhaul aimed at ensuring Maori are more represented in the HBL workforce. This reminds me very much of the quota system when I went to Uni. Oh my goodness have we learned nothing ?
    Really to me this is bordering right on the edge of obsessive compulsive disorder. It is one thing to embrace cultural and ethnic diversity and quite another to start targeting some sort of implied future quota system. A bridge too far, sold half my holding in disgust.

Political correctness gone absolutely bonkers in my opinion. What's next ? Heartland sets up their own Treaty settlement system with Maori employees because the crown's system isn't good enough ? Whatever happened to hiring the best people for the job regardless of creed, race, sex or religion ? Doesn't hiring the best people and making the most money count anymore ? Has nobody heard of the Peter Principle ? Promote people to higher and higher ranking jobs until they're incompetent at their designated duties ?

Aside from that rant, I see very modest EPS growth this year and the shares still trade above my assessed fair value. Has had a great run but my sense is this is very fully priced especially when you start thinking about some of their latest bizarre management methodologies.

Might sell the rest soon.
    Last edited by Beagle; 21-11-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/0...s-forecasthtml

This talk of diversity is becoming an obsession, I couldn't agree more with you but can't help adding my 3 cents worth. Printing part of the annual report in Maori is something to the best of my knowledge that only one company has ever done. Now they are talking about a major cultural overhaul aimed at ensuring Maori are more represented in the HBL workforce. This reminds me very much of the quota system when I went to Uni. Oh my goodness have we learned nothing ?
    Really to me this is bordering right on the edge of obsessive compulsive disorder. It is one thing to embrace cultural and ethnic diversity and quite another to start targeting some sort of implied future quota system. A bridge too far, sold half my holding in disgust.

Political correctness gone absolutely bonkers in my opinion. What's next ? Heartland sets up their own Treaty settlement system with Maori employees because the crown's system isn't good enough ? Whatever happened to hiring the best people for the job regardless of creed, race, sex or religion ? Doesn't hiring the best people and making the most money count anymore ? Has nobody heard of the Peter Principle ? Promote people to higher and higher ranking jobs until they're incompetent at their designated duties ?

Aside from that rant, I see very modest EPS growth this year and the shares still trade above my assessed fair value. Has had a great run but my sense is this is very fully priced especially when you start thinking about some of their latest bizarre management methodologies.

Might sell the rest soon.
    I blame W69's rants for this situation.!...
    You will have to invest in a company that is not on his watch list,and keep it to yourself..
    After his success with HBL, he will be out of control....lol.

ps.If you have fallen out of love with HBL,please spare us the hate posts.
    Last edited by percy; 21-11-2017 at 06:10 PM.

I thought it was an excellent report. Taking up all the 1/15 and applying for more.

You will have to invest in a company that is not on his watch list,and keep it to yourself..

I still have a modest stake..was just venting my spleen about the absurdity of managements apparent obsession with diversity. I don't feel the need to repeat the venting process so I am sure you and others will be happy about that. Have to agree that some posters on here also appear to have very strong opinions on the value of diversity. Suppose we all have our various idiosyncrasies and have to accept that and embrace the diversity of opinion on the value of diversity...
    Last edited by Beagle; 21-11-2017 at 07:11 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I’m proud to be a shareholder in Heartland, even more so now they have embraced diversity.

Percy, the way you talk about diversity related issues I reckon that you would describe women who are the Chair of Global Women in New Zealand and a member of Chief Executive Women as radical feminists (or something even worse) ......and maybe even think they have no place in the Board Room

I’m sure such people aren’t radical feminists. I think it’s fantastic that women like Vanessa and Ellie are on the Heartland Board. They possibly are making their male colleagues more enlightened. Good on them if this is the case.

Shame that mininoke and beagle feel so aggrieved that they are either considering or have sold their shares. If you happen to believe having radical feminists polluting the Heartland Board you better sell out as well.

Diversity of thought is a great thing.
    Last edited by winner69; 21-11-2017 at 07:57 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Banned

Sounds like HBL would be right at home in the new but worse South Africa.