sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Finally a big day for the banks on the American markets overnight. They've been real laggards in recent months but a 2% index pop overnight.
    Expecting a very good day for HBL shares today, (given the positive vote endorsement announcement was after the market closed yesterday).
    Go for it mate ...the market needs people with heaps of exuberance to keep it rising
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Go for it mate ...the market needs people with heaps of exuberance to keep it rising
    Very, very close to my self imposed 10% portfolio limit already mate. (Note to self, no matter how tempting the opportunity I must, must, must stick to my own rules) Old dogs can learn new tricks and this one learned during the GFC never to stick your neck out too far with any one investment in case you're wrong and get a really serious hair cut.

I think this whole risk mitigation for my money, (portfolio spreading) is age related. When you're young you can afford huge risks and putting all or nearly all your eggs in one basket. At various stages of one's life the risk mitigation should start to come into play especially once one is within about 10 years or so from retirement or in semi retirement or retirement already. Hopefully by one's mid 50's for example, there's no real need to take untoward risks and one is already well positioned. (You reading this Couta1 ?).
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-09-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Was it 3 years ago,or 4 years ago,or maybe it was 5 years ago, a number of people on ST went 100% cash, as the market looked to have topped.?

They seemed to have disappeared.

Some people ran for the hills about 2 years ago when Trump was elected and I don't mind admitting I was one of them. It cost me a bit but I didn't stay out for long.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Yes Trump certainly was a "Black Swan" event we all got wrong.!
    No the posters going 100% cash was well before that.
    Last edited by percy; 20-09-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Very, very close to my self imposed 10% portfolio limit already mate. (Note to self, no matter how tempting the opportunity I must, must, must stick to my own rules) Old dogs can learn new tricks and this one learned during the GFC never to stick your neck out too far with any one investment in case you're wrong and get a really serious hair cut.

I think this whole risk mitigation for my money, (portfolio spreading) is age related. When you're young you can afford huge risks and putting all or nearly all your eggs in one basket. At various stages of one's life the risk mitigation should start to come into play especially once one is within about 10 years or so from retirement or in semi retirement or retirement already. Hopefully by one's mid 50's for example, there's no real need to take untoward risks and one is already well positioned. (You reading this Couta1 ?).
    The trouble is that if I had held my previous undiversified approach I would be massively better off than I currently are, selling off my outrageous sized positions too early has been my biggest mistake.Lol.PS-I finally learnt my lesson and have held my XXXOS sized position in HLG for near a year now and refuse to be Beaglised out of it.PPS-I need to get back to investing like I ski.
    Last edited by couta1; 20-09-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Was it 3 years ago,or 4 years ago,or maybe it was 5 years ago, a number of people on ST went 100% cash, as the market looked to have topped.?

They seemed to have disappeared.
    It was every one of those years percy ...and even January thisvyear
    Last edited by winner69; 20-09-2018 at 10:22 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    The trouble is that if I had held my previous undiversified approach I would be massively better off than I currently are, selling off my outrageous sized positions too early has been my biggest mistake.Lol.PS-I finally learnt my lesson and have held my XXXOS sized position in HLG for near a year now and refuse to be Beaglised out of it.PPS-I need to get back to investing like I ski.
    Just a curious question - did this investment approach always work for you?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Just a curious question - did this investment approach always work for you?
    To date it has.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Classic... Just make sure you don't fall over at high speed, (same principle applies with investing)
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-09-2018 at 10:32 AM.