sharetrader
Page 1721 of 1721 FirstFirst ... 721122116211671171117171718171917201721
Results 17,201 to 17,210 of 17210

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldson View Post
    I'm well under water here, and got another 673 via the DRP this week to add to the problem.

Regulator very slow in dealing with the Challenger proposal and that needs to be out of the way with all the consequences transparent, and preferably done and dusted, before this stock is going anywhere. Not much buy interest now at all.
    "Challenger" Bank.....perhaps they could have saved a bunch of cash and completed due diligence merely upon the name of the target.

Advanced Member

Sizeable 6% move up today, no news?

Something in the wind eg Banking license ? or way too early ?

Nice to see anyway...
    All science is either Physics or stamp collecting - Ernest Rutherford

Quote Originally Posted by Davexl View Post
    Sizeable 6% move up today, no news?

Something in the wind eg Banking license ? or way too early ?

Nice to see anyway...
    RBNZ indicating that interest cuts could be on the way soon may have something to do with the rise?

Advanced Member

Wants to rise when the heavy sellers are away. Hopefully the not the long weekend effect.

Percy raised a good point to me - wonder whats happened with Geoff's shares? Was a chunky stake if memory serves me right - circa 15 million - but not above the 5% threshold for SSH notices, and (sadly) not required to provide director/officer notices anymore.

Well oversold in my view, hoping a rally can become entrenched.

Not just over sold, traders were manipulating the SP.

Advanced Member

Nice to see HGH near the top of the leader board today.

I calculated the other day Heartland's long term beta - from the time it became HGH (from HBL) back at the end of October 2018 to the end of february. It's extraordinarily high at 1.57 (1 being average). What's that mean in practice? Volatily, with the price overreacting to bad news and sentiment, and the good. Hopefully at some point we start getting some good news for the SP to overreact to as well (the fun part).

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Muse View Post

I calculated the other day Heartland's long term beta - from the time it became HGH (from HBL) back at the end of October 2018 to the end of february. It's extraordinarily high at 1.57 (1 being average). What's that mean in practice? Volatily, with the price overreacting to bad news and sentiment, and the good. Hopefully at some point we start getting some good news for the SP to overreact to as well (the fun part).
    Some end of tax year positioning? I hope the price does not go back down next week….

Quote Originally Posted by Muse View Post

Always good to do your calculations on such things …a good learning exercise

Yahoo …..Beta (5Y monthly) at 0.96 but Reuters have it as 1.51

Suppose it all matters on time frame and intervals used

But you and Reuters are pretty close to each other
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Why would HGH have a high beta?

More retail investors vs instos? (I don’t know that for sure I just remember reading it once)

Or just because it’s a financial and a small bank at that

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Always good to do your calculations on such things …a good learning exercise

Yahoo …..Beta (5Y monthly) at 0.96 but Reuters have it as 1.51

Suppose it all matters on time frame and intervals used

But you and Reuters are pretty close to each other
    Aye there are too many ways to calculate it that all give you different outcomes and cause you to conclude its all a bit of bunk. The method I chose probably the best suited to low liquidity / lower volatility index that is the NZX50. Takes the average monthly SP, adds the declared div if there is one in that month, and compares that to the average monthly NZ50 gross index, taking the slope of the pairs monthly respective LNs. Better than just flicking daily or monthly on a bloomy but yeah take it with a grain of salt. no doubt off but intuitively feels sensible - recall the over reaction in the SP during the milk bust or covid, the soaring SP during 2021 and early 2022, etc

and @rawz yeah I think you are on to it
    Last edited by Muse; Today at 06:02 PM.