sharetrader
    Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I think you are right BaaBaa and I feel a bit uncomfortable being out of this one since the beginning. But I sort of feel it would be a bit irresponsible of them to pay a final dividend with the RBNZ asking banks not to pay dividends and the profitable Aussie business needing a lot of new cash to keep growing.
    At this stage I'm comfortable sticking to my plan of re-entering the SH register in late 2021 or 2022, subject to satisfactory results.
    For sure iceman but heartland are a bit different from your regular bank, albeit the share price does fluctuate with the banks, so notwithstanding another ‘shock’ this should be about or around the bottom.

I’m a bit down on capital but well up overall including dividends so happy to continue to hold. I’ll be topping up if it goes much lower, I think it’s one of those buy low stocks and hold, Let time do the talking.

Banned

It is a good entry at current SP....

percy

Below is part of a letter my brother sent me a few days ago.He is a retired valuer,who valued farms,commercial and residential properties.He lives in Hobart and is currently on holiday in Queensland.OK deals with Australian issues.I see similar issues arising here.

We will never see the end of this mess. Last Saturday finance reported that mortgage holders , 8% were using the Bank holiday of interest only, 22% were on Jobkeeper ($750/week to firm then employee) ,15% on Jobseeker (the Dole) of $557.85/week which will return to normal of $282.85/week in January. Then 11% have cashed early superannuation. 3.3 million of the 6 million who have a mortgage will need to find a job within six months or they will default. The average mortgage is $467,700 so that is more than $1 trillion. The rescue package allowed company directors to trade while insolvent for six months. After the 25th September, unless there is more Federal money, there will be a ‘tsunami ‘ of insolvencies. Noted many shops vacant on our travels.
    Ended Alexandra Beach and now at Broadbeach till 24th then direct flight Brisbane to Hobart. Having trouble with G2G form re entry to Tasmania and likely will l have to home isolate for 14 days.
    Last edited by percy; 11-08-2020 at 08:39 PM.

For what its worth for such a small accounting practice...I am seeing Covid 19 having a serious impact on a high percentage of my client's business's.
    Many took wage subsidies and loan repayment holiday's. What happens when all the artificial support ends...that's the $64,000 question !
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-08-2020 at 08:42 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Oz job keeper extended till next year March 2021

https://treasury.gov.au/coronavirus/jobkeeper/extension
    Last edited by King1212; 11-08-2020 at 08:53 PM.

percy

Pushing the growing train wreck further down the track.

IMO

Thanks for sharing your brothers observations, a sober reminder.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by King1212 View Post
    Oz job keeper extended till next year March 2021

https://treasury.gov.au/coronavirus/jobkeeper/extension
    Old news (announced on July 21st).

It is winding down though. The $A1,500 per fortnight will reduce to $A1,200 per fortnight on 28th September and $A,000 per fortnight from 4th January 2021. In tandem with this the turnover test requires GST revenue to fall 30% with the prior comparative period for eligibility.

That is probably a more sensible approach than the NZ system for wage subsidies which is either 'off' or 'on', with the same 30% decline in revenue criteria for eligibility. The 'full time' worker subsidy is rather less generous over here too. 'Only' $NZ350 per week ($NZ700 per fortnight).

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 11-08-2020 at 10:36 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Below is part of a letter my brother sent me a few days ago.He is a retired valuer,who valued farms,commercial and residential properties.He lives in Hobart and is currently on holiday in Queensland.OK deals with Australian issues.I see similar issues arising here.

We will never see the end of this mess. Last Saturday finance reported that mortgage holders , 8% were using the Bank holiday of interest only, 22% were on Jobkeeper ($750/week to firm then employee) ,15% on Jobseeker (the Dole) of $557.85/week which will return to normal of $282.85/week in January. Then 11% have cashed early superannuation. 3.3 million of the 6 million who have a mortgage will need to find a job within six months or they will default. The average mortgage is $467,700 so that is more than $1 trillion. The rescue package allowed company directors to trade while insolvent for six months. After the 25th September, unless there is more Federal money, there will be a ‘tsunami ‘ of insolvencies. Noted many shops vacant on our travels.
    Ended Alexandra Beach and now at Broadbeach till 24th then direct flight Brisbane to Hobart. Having trouble with G2G form re entry to Tasmania and likely will l have to home isolate for 14 days.
    Yes sobering stuff and a bit spooky that less than 1 hour later we have the announcement of community transmission again within N.Z.
    I'd be very pleasantly surprised, (I don't expect to be) if Level 3 is just for 3 days and just limited to Auckland. I don't like coincidences and reports of more than 1 retirement village going into lockdown in Chch on the very same day community transmission is acknowledged in Auckland and on the very same day Ashley Bloomfield gets a Covid test is all a bit to much of a coincidence for my liking. Another lockdown of any length will REALLY hurt a lot of business's that were just starting to feel that they might have scraped through this. Another extension to the wage subsidy scheme coming ? Just as well the Govt set aside another $14 Billion for another outbreak...I reckon they're going to need it.
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-08-2020 at 11:07 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Yes sobering stuff and a bit spooky that less than 1 hour later we have the announcement of community transmission again within N.Z.
    I'd be very pleasantly surprised, (I don't expect to be) if Level 3 is just for 3 days and just limited to Auckland. I don't like coincidences and reports of more than 1 retirement village going into lockdown in Chch on the very same day community transmission is acknowledged in Auckland and on the very same day Ashley Bloomfield gets a Covid test is all a bit to much of a coincidence for my liking. Another lockdown of any length will REALLY hurt a lot of business's that were just starting to feel that they might have scraped through this. Another extension to the wage subsidy scheme coming ? Just as well the Govt set aside another $14 Billion for another outbreak...I reckon they're going to need it.
    Just 3 days this time localised to Auckland with the rest all in Level 2

If this extends, or goes into other regions, then there could be even more fallout & carnage

Once again, fairly open on travel between the Supercity & elsewhere - opportunity for spread
    depending on how widespread community transmission is

Like you Beagle a small practice, probably not the retail client component, but most have climbed out
    the first lock-down very well - but overall the effects on the national economy & suggestions from
    some (for example John Key) of recession ahead are worrying

Further C-19 Lockdown of any duration must surely suggest further Subsidy / Support package
    needed to avoid more carnage to what is left standing after first round
    Last edited by nztx; 12-08-2020 at 03:20 AM.